Why become a member? ×

What scale length strings for Hofner CT Verythin 500/7?

GreeneKing

Knowing how far the Contemporary Verythin bridge is from the saddles I did some research about scale length before buying some Medium scale D'Addario Chromes for this 30" scale bass.

Sadly they are still too short and are now in the 'For Sale' section :)

Anyone know if the Long Chromes fit or have any other recommendation?

Peter

Yes indeed, I can get the tape measure out, measure the length from bridge to nut and go online to establish actual string lengths and hope that this gives me the correct strings. And then again I could ask of anyone knows for definite too :)

Edited by GreeneKing

Matt answered my question perfectly and I thanked him for it. The next poster had apparently not read and understood when I said that medium length strings were too short. Otherwise why would he recommend them. However no big deal. You do seem intent on qualifying for your username. I should have known that this simple request would deteriorate.

Given that you've already bought one non-fitting set of strings, and given that you've seen that not everyone who posts will give you a 100% reliable answer, having a quick measure with string or similar seems prudent. But, since it's your money that you will soon be parted from, clearly it's up to you what you do.

More precise information here: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/34--35-inch-Long-Scale_c_935.html

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1427731510' post='2733589']The next poster had apparently not read and understood when I said that medium length strings were too short. Otherwise why would he recommend them.[/quote] I misread. My memory was telling me that I went one down from regular (I thought) but looking at the string guide I must have had rotosound long scale flats.

• 2 years later...

Just in case anybody looks at this old thread whilst deciding on what strings to buy, I have recently purchased a new Verythin Bass. I believe it is the latest version and comes equipt with the shorter tailpiece.
After reading a few bits online I ordered a set of Pyramid Golds in the long scale. These were definitely too long and would have meant threading the thickest part of the string through the tuning posts. The tapered thinner part of the string was way too long.
I also sized the Pyramid Goldd in short scale as I have a set on my violin bass. These were too short and would also have meant that the silk wrap would have sat within the nut.
I then opted for a set of Rotosound medium scale flats. Although these did fit, I just couldn't get on with them. They only come in a light gauge, with the E being a 90. They were too light for me and just didn't feel like they had enough tension.
I have just re string her with a set of medium scale Daddario chromes. These are a much more familiar gauge for me with the E being a 100.
They sound and feel brilliant.
I know many people find chromes too bright, and they certainly are a bright flatwound, but the really suit the bass.
The gauge and tension feel much better on the bass and the notes seem to ring a lot truer.
Anyway, hope this may be of some help to any Verythin owners!