Why become a member? ×

Things we need to know

Happy Jack

There's a long list of things I need to know before I get interested in buying or playing a bass, but the list of deal-breakers is much shorter:[list]
[*]Scale length
[*]String spacing at the bridge
[*]Weight
[/list]
I would never decide to buy a bass using just those three pieces of information, but I would certainly decide NOT to buy one.

I don't like 32" or 33" scale and in fact I prefer 35" if possible. I can't cope with 17mm string spacing, I like 19mm. I'm obsessed with light weight in basses, forget the boat anchors.

Yet most 'Technical Details' for a bass will only ever mention the first of these three. It's as if manufacturers and vendors seriously imagine that bass players won't notice or care about string spacing, or whether they get a hernia when they pick up their instrument.

Am I being precious, or is there really an issue here?

Jack, If you included 3 tone sunburst and rosewood fret boards you'd be exactly right.

Scale: I prefer 35" but my Wal at 34" was fine. So scale isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me. I could go longer without much trouble, ie 36" but I wouldn't be keen to go shorter, ie 32" or 33". That would depend on the instrument.

String spacing: I was given a Yamaha 5 string to play on a gig and I had the most miserable time I've had in years. The strings were so close together it was unplayable. I prefer room to stretch out so 18-20mm is good for me.

Weight: These days I can do 3 sets with my 8 1/2 lb Lull but 2 sets is a stretch on anything weighing more. As the years go by, chambered Sadowsky basses are becoming more appealing!

Neck depth is important for me rather than the width. Bought a G&L from Thomann that I simply could not play as the neck felt as if it was as deep as it was wide

Slim C, Vintage C and so on mean nothing to me other than I'd guess the latter to be deeper

Edited by Delberthot

I'm with people on the above things - namely weight, balance, string spacing (and the -/+ values if adjustable), tuning gear ratios (27:1 is a lot more precise than 12:1), Set neck or bolt on, Shielded or unshielded, hum-cancelling or not, scale length, nut width, neck thickness (ideally at 1st fret, 12th fret, and body joint) and things like truss rod type (ideally including the hex or socket type and size).

Basically the basses could come with a simple data sheet from the maker to help inform the buyer exactly what's in store. I'd rather know the basses weight than the wood they say it's made out of (often varies in practice). Similarly I'd rather hear a recording of the pickups and know whether the cavities are shielded than the model and brand, and whether they use cloth wire. But that's just me.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427566479' post='2731827']
I agree with HappyJack. This is all useful information that sellers/manufacturers should really add to their advertisements/listings/product descriptions.
[/quote]

+1 - a good selling point for many hofner, ibanez, gretch, and others is their consistently lower weight than other brands. If I had a product with an average weight of 8lbs, and my rival is around 10.5lbs at the same price - I should make it known that my product is always - for example - less than 8.5 lbs. Given a lot of older and younger players, not to mention those with injuries and long sets, look for low weight instruments - it's silly not to advertise the positive points of the product.

I have to say I've never given a thought to string spacing. I'm not fussy on scale length as long as it sounds good. I like a comfortable neck, which for me generally rules out a bound neck on a bass. I prefer solid colours to coffee tables. That's about it I think.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1427571681' post='2731917']
This is all very useful, as I'm going to be selling a bass for the first time ever (!?) soon, so want the ad to be as informative as possible. I have no idea re. tuner ratios though!
[/quote]

If you have the type of tuner - e.g. Hipshot ultralite or schaller m4 etc. it should be plenty. A description of the tuners, like do they tune accurately, do they hold tune well etc. is as important as where they came from. To be honest if they're original tuners it can be difficult to be sure!

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1427573768' post='2731939']
I start with colour.

Everything else is negotiable.
[/quote]

:lol:

My criteria tend to come down to 3 main criteria:

Is the neck Jazz-size? I just can't get on my anything that isn't skinny. But not [i]too[/i] skinny...

Does it have a neck AND bridge pickup? Every time I play a P bass I end up sounding like Billy Sheehan. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I want to sound like [i]me[/i] y'know?

The deal breaker though is this: Does it have more knobs than strings?
If the answer is 'yes' then I would argue it's an oversized, single channel mixing desk, and I don't want that.

Basically, I [s]like[/s] love Jazz/Jazz bass derivatives.

There are certain things that would stop me from buying a bass.

1: weight. I had a bass that weighed over 6 kilos once. sounded fantastic but even at 20 years old my back and shoulder couldn't handle it.

2. Number of frets : I never feel totally 'at home' with a bass that had less than 24 frets.

3. If it was a p-bass. I just seem to naturally dislike the sound of a p-bass.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1427593371' post='2732189']
There are certain things that would stop me from buying a bass.

1: weight. I had a bass that weighed over 6 kilos once. sounded fantastic but even at 20 years old my back and shoulder couldn't handle it.
[/quote]

Ouch. Unless you're big and strong, and have perfect posture & technique - or play seated!

2. Number of frets : I never feel totally 'at home' with a bass that had less than 24 frets.
[/quote]

Fair enough - It is a nice symmetric way of arranging a fretboard!

3. If it was a p-bass. I just seem to naturally dislike the sound of a p-bass.
[/quote]

:blink: I assume you mean passive P's, not the active PJ's or things like the Tony Franklin fretless PJ :
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxgf2gg6cQ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxgf2gg6cQ4[/url]

Without attempting to do seperate quotes in my tired state (see daily awesomeness thread).

1. The weight was actually uncomfortable even when seated to a certain degree. although I will say if I am ever in a position where I am doing a lot of studio work I will get one of those basses again.

2. I'll watching that video once I wake up but I so far haven't heard/played any bass with a precision pickup that I haven't disliked. I had a Warwick Thumb Dirty Blonde in the past that was excellent but sounded too much like a P :( my playing just doesn't seem to suit the tone.

I understand why it's so popular and why it is used so often but just can never find myself enjoying one unless it's got flats fitted and tone rolled all the way off. even then, it wouldn't suit my current band!

Roger Sadowsky's email signature always bears the footnote:

"Honest Weights, Square Dealings".

Weight has become a major sales tool,for some brands, obviously Sadowsky is one, Mike Lull is another and Jens Ritter always proudly displays exact weights of every instrument.

Obviously it's easier for smaller companies like these.

I just like the modern Precisions, slim neck, err.. 4 strings and a maple board + lightweight, white or red, simple controls for a simple soul. Job done.

I have all the above except lightweight, still looking for that. B)

Weight is a pain in the butt to give out, having worked for a few instrument companies we always struggled as they are made of wood. Wood density can vary massively. Approx values can be given but every now and then you are going to get a REALLY heavy one.

String spacing again can be a pain in the butt, if the bridge has variable spacing (Warwick for instance) you never know what the store might do when they receive it. Perhaps the bassist in the shop loves close spacing and because its such a swift change to make they do it on a quiet Tuesday afternoon so they can have a good play.