Why become a member? ×

Things we need to know

Happy Jack

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427711551' post='2733220']
In the future, when you're online bass-shopping you'll be wearing a robotic glove that'll force your hand to the neck profile of the guitar.
[/quote]

We need to be able to check out potential purchases in the real world. I propose some kind of building where various different basses are stored, then people could actually leave their homes, travel to the building between designated times during the day and evaluate the products, perhaps using amps [i]in situ[/i]. If a particular bass turned out to be ideal, there could be some way of actually paying for it there and then at the location so you could take the bass home with you. Bit of a pipe dream, I know. Probably never happen.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427711904' post='2733228'] We need to be able to check out potential purchases in the real world. I propose some kind of building where various different basses are stored, then people could actually leave their homes, travel to the building between designated times during the day and evaluate the products, perhaps using amps [i]in situ[/i]. If a particular bass turned out to be ideal, there could be some way of actually paying for it there and then at the location so you could take the bass home with you. Bit of a pipe dream, I know. Probably never happen. [/quote]

but it's raining..

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427712313' post='2733235']
but it's raining...
[/quote]

Hmm, that's a problem. You could drive to the building or use public transport, but there will still be a point at which you'd be exposed to the elephants. What about some kind of portable, waterproof shelter? It could even be collapsible to make it easy to carry when it's not raining and for easy storage at home, possibly in a cylindrical container in the hallway. Or how about some kind of waterproof outer covering for the body? You could even have a separate head covering and some sort of impermeable footwear.

TBH there are only two things that I really consider in a bass:

1. Do I think it looks cool?

2. Can I afford it?

Everything else will be dealt with once the bass is actually in my hands and being played through my rig with my band. For the most part the "numbers" are irrelevent since they tell such a tiny part of the overall picture of the bass. Plus the fact that I'm such an average player I'm probably not tuned in enough for them to make enough of a difference.

Actually I find string spacing figures one of the most useless "numbers" because it only tells a very small part of the story. When I had my Sei Bass made, Martin asked me what string spacing I wanted. This was something I'd never considered before, so I went home and measured my existing basses and found that they all had different string spacings. However then I looked at what the string spacing was like at the point where I actually plucked the strings most of the time and found that they were all within 1.5mm of each other across all 5 strings (i.e. overall string width from B to G). Also I discovered that the bass I owned with the widest string spacing at the bridge also had the narrowest string spacing at the nut.

So for me just having the string spacing measurement for the bridge simply doesn't tell me anywhere near enough. I would also need to know the spacing at the nut, the scale length, where the pickups are and how the bass hangs on the strap when I'm playing it, because this and pickup location will influence where I actually pluck the strings, and therefore what the string spacing was at the most important point on the string length to me.

There are a couple of design features that might put me off if I'm undecided about a bass. Generally I'll avoid bolt-on neck basses with less than 24 frets as the heel and neck pocket will probably be in the way of some of the higher notes I like to use. Also I prefer angled headstocks as I don't like string trees, and I really can't be bothered with having to work out different excess sting lengths in order to get the nut break angles right.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427711551' post='2733220']
In the future, when you're online bass-shopping you'll be wearing a robotic glove that'll force your hand to the neck profile of the guitar.
And I, for one, will be delighted because, after scale length, that's the biggest issue for me.
[/quote]

Yes, that's what we will be using the robot hands for on the internet....

In order for me:
Weight - under 9lbs
Neck width - preferably 38-40mm
Tone - 'old school' from thump to bite, not keen on modern or nasal.
Colour - black in preferance
Scale length - in as much as I am very keen on 32" scale at the moment.
Hardware can pretty much be changed if everything else is ok.

Thinking about what I've read in online reviews, it seems that total weight is the big surprise for many online purchasers. Either complaints about American ash bodies weighing mega amounts, or pawlonia bodies being so light it feels as if the bass could just blow away. I've seen fewer complaints about unexpected string spacing. But that might be due to the standardisation in the bass industries - so many copy jazz and precision basses with copy jazz and precision necks.

Edited by Annoying Twit