Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1432540606' post='2782337']
Sorry to hear that.
I hope the problem is resolved soon and you're back in the happy camp.
[/quote]
Being woken at 9am this morning by my arsehole of a neighbour mowing his lawn has not helped me back into the happy camp yet. Tw@!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432542588' post='2782358']
Being woken at 9am this morning by my arsehole of a neighbour mowing his lawn has not helped me back into the happy camp yet. Tw@!
[/quote]

I don't think that's unreasonable. You should have been up at 0730 to clean the house and make your partner's breakfast.
Just like the current mrs discreet did this morning... :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432546180' post='2782418']

I don't think that's unreasonable. You should have been up at 0730 to clean the house and make your partner's breakfast.
Just like the current mrs discreet did this morning... :P
[/quote]

I had to make my own cup of coffee too :)

back to the line out being only post everything, I've used it twice with a full PA first time, at a local venue with an in house PA, it was unusable, signal too high (according to the sound man) second time at Strummercamp this weekend no problems at all sound guy said everything was good, that was with gain at 12 o clock and master at 3 o clock, so go figure

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1432559492' post='2782630']
back to the line out being only post everything, I've used it twice with a full PA first time, at a local venue with an in house PA, it was unusable, signal too high (according to the sound man) second time at Strummercamp this weekend no problems at all sound guy said everything was good, that was with gain at 12 o clock and master at 3 o clock, so go figure
[/quote]
I have also used the DI out a few times and haven't had a problem yet.

Thanks for the picture of your stack. I checked online and the extension cab is bigger in all three dimensions than the combo, but they look good together.

I don't know why the sound man had a problem with your DI signal unless he was trying to put it into a mic-level input. I thought all mixing desks have an input gain control - unless his couldn't attenuate the signal.

I have found the headphone output to be too low level though. At the Mids Bash it was unusable with all the background noise. It's fine for solo practice in a quiet environment.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432563122' post='2782674']
I don't know why the sound man had a problem with your DI signal unless he was trying to put it into a mic-level input.

[/quote]that thought occured to me as well

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432563122' post='2782674']
Thanks for the picture of your stack. I checked online and the extension cab is bigger in all three dimensions than the combo, but they look good together.
[/quote]

The one in the pic looks the same size as the combo.
I think it depends whether it's the 1X12, the 1X15 or the 2X10 and whether it's version 2 or 3.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432566418' post='2782724']
The one in the pic looks the same size as the combo.
I think it depends whether it's the 1X12, the 1X15 or the 2X10 and whether it's version 2 or 3.
[/quote]

Yes you're right, that's the 210 v3 and it's the same size as the v3 500 combo.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1432568806' post='2782760']
Yes you're right, that's the 210 v3 and it's the same size as the v3 500 combo.
[/quote]

I thought that the 2x10 was a couple of inches wider than the combo from what I could find on t'web. Handily the Fender site doesn't give the dimensions of the cab

I stick the 115 under mine. Looks the biz, and sounds great too.

Last gig I did on Friday, it was a smaller place so I didn't bother with the cab, just the 500.

I'd forgotten how good this was on it's own. Powered the band perfectly well with bags of room left in the tank.

Love the cab - it just gives 'more' - but TBH, the combo alone is more than enough for most places. :D

An update on my amp that developed a fault last weekend:

I've finally managed to get through to GAK on the phone (apparently they are short staffed at the moment) and they will pick it up for "warranty repair" tomorrow. They will then send it on to Fender to take a look/fix. I'll update you as that progresses, as I'm sure some people will be interested in how long it takes them to turn it round. I have taken note of the S/N so will know if I get the same amp back :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432511565' post='2782254']
Well I'm sad to say that mine seems to have developed a fault. It sounds like the speakers are farting but I think it's actually a dry solder joint in the amp. The fart comes out of both speakers when I hit a bottom G or A with the master volume at half way or above. Unfortunately with the bank holiday I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to phone them. Hopefully they will replace it quickly - no gigs next weekend but 3 the weekend after. At least I've still got my Peavey as a backup :(
[/quote]mine makes a horrible noise too, if I have the bass control turned up too high

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1432829522' post='2785415']
mine makes a horrible noise too, if I have the bass control turned up too high
[/quote]

I didn't find that with mine although I don't wind it up much over mid way as it's just too much

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432830800' post='2785433']
I didn't find that with mine although I don't wind it up much over mid way as it's just too much
[/quote]it only happens if I have the bass turned right up, which I would never do under normal use, I have mine turned right down as I prefer a bit of definition to loads of low end, I hate it when boom occurs.

So I've had my Rumble 100 (1x12) for a week or so and its only had about 3 hours of use so far but I think it must be faulty.

It sounds great and puts out a lot of noise which is good, but for some reason I'm getting volume loss over the course of a couple minutes to complete soundlessness. It just turns itself down! I'll be jamming along happily at the volume I want and then it'll start getting quieter and quieter until it's completely inaudible

I can't think what it might be other than it's faulty so it'll be going back to the shop tomorrow. It does sound good so I'll take a replacement if they offer me one.

Further testing shows that it also happens when playing music through the aux-in so must be a power stage problem.

I was hoping that with a quick fiddle with leads and plugs and things it might magically start working again but sadly not :(

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1433078776' post='2787578']
I'm starting to have doubts about the reliability.
[/quote]

Me too, even though a certain fail rate is absolutely normal and to be expected.
In my experience if you want great build quality, top components, great sound [i]and [/i]reliability, it's never 'affordable'. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433079018' post='2787583']
Me too, even though a certain fail rate is absolutely normal and to be expected.
In my experience if you want great build quality, top components, great sound [i]and [/i]reliability, it's never 'affordable'. ;)
[/quote]
Yes, lets see. I have had mine nearly a year now and it gets about 5 hours use a week.(no problems sos far)
Now I have the 210 extension as well I always carry a spare head when I gig if ever the Rumble decides to go tits up.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1433079663' post='2787589']
Yes, lets see. I have had mine nearly a year now and it gets about 5 hours use a week.(no problems sos far)
Now I have the 210 extension as well I always carry a spare head when I gig if ever the Rumble decides to go tits up.
[/quote]

Well I don't want to perpetuate an Ampeg PF-style reliability issue thing! Just saying that [i]every [/i]manufacturer is going to produce a few lemons, nothing can be made 100% operational, it's just not possible. :) Always wise to have a Plan B!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432511565' post='2782254']
Well I'm sad to say that mine seems to have developed a fault. It sounds like the speakers are farting but I think it's actually a dry solder joint in the amp. The fart comes out of both speakers when I hit a bottom G or A with the master volume at half way or above. Unfortunately with the bank holiday I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to phone them. Hopefully they will replace it quickly - no gigs next weekend but 3 the weekend after. At least I've still got my Peavey as a backup :(
[/quote]

It's a bit funny - probably unconnected - but back in February when I first bought the 500, mine came from GAK.

I did post this at time - but the one they sent me had clearly been out before, and did something very similar what you've explained!

They picked it up next day and refunded me, and bought another from Gear4Music, and of course the cab eventually from Thomann.

I'll give them credit - their returns policy was superb - but what I was sent should never have gone out in the first place, as it was obviously a previously returned item.