Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

I've still got to get used to it, but ended up last night with the gain on about 4 and the master on about 6 (not that there are any numbers to go by). This was on a hollow stage that ate a fair bit of the power and our rock covers trio about as loud as we get, so I'm fairly confident it should meet my needs for most places we play.

As I said I'm still getting to grips with it. As far as I can tell so far it's like it has valve emulation all the time, so the gain has an effect on the tone. It's nice though. I'll have a further play with that at our next gig on Friday. The 'manual' doesn't say anything about that apart from to keep the gain low to keep it clean. It mentions it affecting distortion when vintage or overdrive is engaged.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1428775087' post='2744494']
I'm trying not to GAS for a 1x15 extension cab. I really don't need one.
[/quote]

Oh, you do! The 500 sounds even more incredible when plugged into the 115. I always play through both now. Sorry for the GAS.... :P
[quote name='Big Bass Man' timestamp='1428823922' post='2744752']
After reading this thread, I'm seriously considering changing my MarkBass combo for one of these. I've never really been happy with the tone. These things really seem to fit the vintage / old school vibe I'm after! They seem really good value too ...
[/quote]

I sold my Markbass rig for the 500/115 set-up. No regrets at all - everyone comments how much better I sound now! :blush:

I played through one of these at a gig on Saturday night beside a drummer who was beating the life out of his kit.

Had the chance to compare the 500 watt rumble combo (280watts without extension cab) to a TC electronic 250watt combo alongside it and there was a really huge surprising difference in the tone ,volume, aggression, sheer floor shaking sound; in fact everything.
No competition and I'm now the proud owner of the very light and aesthetically pleasing aforementioned 500 watt beast.

On leaving the gig I had my bass in a gig bag slung over my back, the rumble 500 watt combo easily in one hand and the cable and pedal case in the other. One easy lift and walk to the car. Bass playing as it should be.
I don't think I will need another cab for the moment but for the pure look of the vintage finish I might just have to.

Go buy one. Now.. Go on.....

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1428941718' post='2746199']
Does appear to be the case. What a stupid design!!
[/quote]

If it is indeed the case you could always buy a DI box and use that instead.
Or one of the many tone-shaper/pre-amp pedals with an XLR DI out fitted.

The Roq Solid cover arrived this morning. It looks very well made and is a good snug fit. I ordered one with an optional front board pocket to give a bit of extra protection for the cloth grille, but the cover hardly needs it. The standard grade of material seems quite robust. I'm certainly happy with it

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1429255313' post='2749629']
The Roq Solid cover arrived this morning. It looks very well made and is a good snug fit. I ordered one with an optional front board pocket to give a bit of extra protection for the cloth grille, but the cover hardly needs it. The standard grade of material seems quite robust. I'm certainly happy with it
[/quote]

I bought Roqsolid covers for both my Rumble amp and cab. Really impressed - I actually think they're even better made than my old ones I used to have on my Markbass stuff.

Maybe you should have ordered one for your cab at the same time, Norris, seeing as it's only a matter of time before you give in LOL! :D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429345261' post='2750559']
I hope all this love for the Rumble is well founded, I've just pulled the trigger on a nearly new one that was on Ebay, pick it up tomorrow.
[/quote]

You won't be sorry. It's a heck of an amp for the size/money/weight. Let us know what you think when it turns up :)