Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1429376491' post='2750953']
Anyone know the weight of the rumble 1x12 v3 bass cab ?
[/quote]14.1 Kg
http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid37205/cid686/fender-rumble-112-v3-bass-amp-cabinet.asp?LGWCODE=37205;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=2380000000&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CJSw0da6gMUCFQrJtAodKAoAHw

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1429364058' post='2750816']
Just pulled the trigger on the 210 extention cab to go with the 500 combo! Heres hoping its a keeper!!
[/quote]

I'm really interested as to how you find this - I went for the 115 following discussion over on TB - but I was very tempted by the 210. B)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1429455945' post='2751518']

I'm really interested as to how you find this - I went for the 115 following discussion over on TB - but I was very tempted by the 210. B)
[/quote]

Will report back on it. Was very tempted by the 115 but alot of the reviews on 115 I could find were back before the 210 was released - so thought I'd take a punt.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1429456758' post='2751528']
Will report back on it. Was very tempted by the 115 but alot of the reviews on 115 I could find were back before the 210 was released - so thought I'd take a punt.
[/quote]
Don't think you'll be disappointed it gives you more of what the 500 combo gives you ;)

just had an initial play with the Rumble I've just collected, initial reaction is very good but I'll reserve opinion till I've gigged with it,
I can confirm that the XLR out is effected by the master volume and all the other controls, I can see this causing problems, quiet a few times sound guys have asked me to switch to pre instead of post EQ on my other amps because the signal to the desk is too high, unfortunately this amp hasn't got that switch. Having said that I've never played at a venue that doesn't have a DI box
Can anybody tell me what 'ground lift' is?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429463817' post='2751611']
Can anybody tell me what 'ground lift' is?
[/quote]

You can sometimes get a hum due to an "earth loop" which switching in the ground lift will prevent. Keep it switched off unless you need it though

Edit: ... when you have a DI lead plugged in. It breaks the connection to the outer metal part of the lead

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1429464097' post='2751616']
You can sometimes get a hum due to an "earth loop" which switching in the ground lift will prevent. Keep it switched off unless you need it though

Edit: ... when you have a DI lead plugged in. It breaks the connection to the outer metal part of the lead
[/quote]ok got it, cheers

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1429472662' post='2751745']
I see a lot of people buying an extension cab for these. I'm just wondering, is the combo on its own capable of being used for gigs.
[/quote]

Yes. It depends how loud you need to go, but the combo on its own is plenty for me. On the last gig the master volume was at about 10 o'clock - plenty left in the tank. You could always add a cab later if it's not enough

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1429472662' post='2751745']
I see a lot of people bit. tying an extension cab for these. I'm just wondering, is the combo on its own capable of being used for gigs.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, used it on a medium size pub gig last Saturday without needing to push it.

personally, extra volume is not the only reason I've tended to use an extension cab, (with my Marshall MB4210) it also looks better having a bit of a stack (more rock and roll :) ) and also it takes the amp up to ear height which means you can hear it more clearly

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429514698' post='2752016']
personally, extra volume is not the only reason I've tended to use an extension cab, (with my Marshall MB4210) it also looks better having a bit of a stack (more rock and roll :) ) and also it takes the amp up to ear height which means you can hear it more clearly
[/quote]

I'd agree with that and you also get a little more feel with more air being pushed.
I don't think it makes me want to play any louder, just gives me headroom and feel.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1429463817' post='2751611']
I can confirm that the XLR out is effected by the master volume and all the other controls
[/quote]

It's kinda baffling why any designer would do that (at least without a pre/post switch), for me it's pretty much a deal-breaker - thanks for the confirmation!

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1429517661' post='2752060']
It's kinda baffling why any designer would do that (at least without a pre/post switch), for me it's pretty much a deal-breaker - thanks for the confirmation!
[/quote]

It's probably cheaper to make it that way

From what I remember the DI set up was the same on the V2 rumbles, it didn't really cause any issues.

The V2's were great combos but I think Fender have really built on that with these, from what I can see. Obviously the styling is a lot more appealing, but I think the major bonus is that you can now add an extension cab to them. Not being able to add an extension to the V2 was its achilles heal really and I think that's where it struggled to gain appeal.

The V3's and the range as whole look very appealing.

I really like to look of these combos but the DI issue IMO is a problem.
If you play in a few bands & mainly use backline or the same soundman, you could be fine with this setup.
If you are a pro & play in a wide variety of settings then it's not gonna be great. Soundman will not be happy, if they are paying attention.
Use a seperate DI box & problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

I used my rumble at a gig for the first time at the weekend, after a bit of fiddling with the tone controls it sounded good, one thing confused me though, I've been using Marshall MB4210 before with a Carlsbro Bass Beasty used as a 1 x 15 extension cab ( the amp section doesn't work anymore) to good effect, it increased volume and bottom end, but with the Rumble it had hardly any effect at all, maybe a touch more bottom end but no perceivable increase in volume, any ideas why this should be? I was thinking of getting a matching 2 x10 rumble cab for it, but now I'm not so sure.
I did change the 15 inch speaker in the Beasty for an 8ohm one I had btw

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1431263657' post='2769357']
I used my rumble at a gig for the first time at the weekend, after a bit of fiddling with the tone controls it sounded good, one thing confused me though, I've been using Marshall MB4210 before with a Carlsbro Bass Beasty used as a 1 x 15 extension cab ( the amp section doesn't work anymore) to good effect, it increased volume and bottom end, but with the Rumble it had hardly any effect at all, maybe a touch more bottom end but no perceivable increase in volume, any ideas why this should be? I was thinking of getting a matching 2 x10 rumble cab for it, but now I'm not so sure.
[/quote]

The combo by itself is plenty for my needs so I can't help on extension cabs, but I'm glad you're enjoying your rumble :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1431263657' post='2769357']
[/quote]

Probably a case of mis-matched cabs and the 115 not being as efficient. I reckon adding a matched Rumble cab would really add to it.

I used the old Rumble 100 as a provided amp at a venue Alex, and really had to run it at full pelt to hear it. But that was in an 8-piece punky/indie band, not too loud, but a lot going on (including another bass). No experience of the newer ones though.