Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

My trusty Peavey combo is getting a bit long in the tooth now, enough for me to consider putting it out to pasture. Having initially thought about going the TH500/Barefaced route, I'm now looking at the new V3 Fender Rumble 500 combo. It looks a cracking bit of kit for the money, half the weight of my current beast and just as powerful.

I've read some decent reviews, but wondered if any BCers have got one yet and what your impressions are. Is it full sounded & pokey enough? Any reliability issues? Are you confident with it?

Got one, love it.
I use a 12" cab under it at practice and for some of the larger gigs.
The 210 combo goes loud and tbh never had a problem hearing it, I just like to move a bit more air and having it stacked I hear it better.
I have just gone and ordered another Rumble 210 to match it with. Seems I prefer 10's again to 12's.

I have a few rigs and prefer the Rumble over the more expensive stuff I have, just suits what I'm doing more and has a great look imo :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1427567455' post='2731843']
Got one, love it.
I use a 12" cab under it at practice and for some of the larger gigs.
The 210 combo goes loud and tbh never had a problem hearing it, I just like to move a bit more air and having it stacked I hear it better.
I have just gone and ordered another Rumble 210 to match it with. Seems I prefer 10's again to 12's.

I have a few rigs and prefer the Rumble over the more expensive stuff I have, just suits what I'm doing more and has a great look imo :)
[/quote]

Thanks. GAS is burning :)

I've had mine 3 months now. The first thing that struck me was how something so light and small can be so loud

I'm using mine in a wedding/function band as my own monitor and have it sitting on one of [url="http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/mxs-a3.html?backp=2"]these[/url] so it's at ear level.

I find it very much a set and forget amp and I'm amazed at how quickly I found a great sound. I haven't bothered with the distortion or the other buttons, I only need a clean sound.

As I mentioned on another thread here, go to a website like [url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/fender-rumble-500-v3.html"]this[/url] to get a really good price, especially with the current exchange rate, then email GAK and they will price match it.

For a cover go to Roqsolid. I had to submit measurements for this combo as the ones they had been given previously were a wee bit out but now they're spot on.

Norris I agree with Highfox and Delberthot. Mine has been with me for 8 months, and I have nothing but praise to offer up on her behalf. I bought the combo 210. Since then I've added an additional rumble 210 cab to the mix. I have created a monster, a glorious sound monster.

I can chip in here as well.

I bought one back in February - read some good comments both on here and Talkbass (I'm now in the Rumble Club there! :o ).Actually, it's also well worth a read, as there's hundreds of posts and good info.

It sounds glorious on it's own, and I have gigged it that way. I also bought a Rumble 115 (15" cab) a bit later to add more umph....not so much volume, but sonic depth. TBH, you can easily get away with the cab as is. Stick the 15 under it, and you have instantly more of the same in abundance. Tone heaven!

I changed over from Markbass to these, and I for one far prefer them. They just sound so much more, well, bassy. I use the vintage setting all the time, it gives you a lovely valve-y growl, real old-skool.

Just to help - here's a photo of mine I took with my USA P Bass -

[attachment=188174:20150306_201428.jpg]

...and here's a sound-sample, recorded a few weeks ago in the studio with same P-bass, and Rumble amp and cab mic'd up -

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-xHT-cUC4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=mA-xHT-cUC4[/url]

Let us know what you decide! :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1427991799' post='2736826']
I can chip in here as well.

I bought one back in February - read some good comments both on here and Talkbass (I'm now in the Rumble Club there! :o ).Actually, it's also well worth a read, as there's hundreds of posts and good info.

It sounds glorious on it's own, and I have gigged it that way. I also bought a Rumble 115 (15" cab) a bit later to add more umph....not so much volume, but sonic depth. TBH, you can easily get away with the cab as is. Stick the 15 under it, and you have instantly more of the same in abundance. Tone heaven!

I changed over from Markbass to these, and I for one far prefer them. They just sound so much more, well, bassy. I use the vintage setting all the time, it gives you a lovely valve-y growl, real old-skool.

Just to help - here's a photo of mine I took with my USA P Bass -

[attachment=188174:20150306_201428.jpg]

...and here's a sound-sample, recorded a few weeks ago in the studio with same P-bass, and Rumble amp and cab mic'd up -

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-xHT-cUC4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=mA-xHT-cUC4[/url]

Let us know what you decide! :)
[/quote]

Sounds good on my phone. I'll give it a proper listen later.

I think I'm pretty much sold on it. I just need to save the rest of the required beer tokens from my gig money now. Hopefully should only be a week or two :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1427991799' post='2736826'] I can chip in here as well. I bought one back in February - read some good comments both on here and Talkbass (I'm now in the Rumble Club there! :o ).Actually, it's also well worth a read, as there's hundreds of posts and good info. It sounds glorious on it's own, and I have gigged it that way. I also bought a Rumble 115 (15" cab) a bit later to add more umph....not so much volume, but sonic depth. TBH, you can easily get away with the cab as is. Stick the 15 under it, and you have instantly more of the same in abundance. Tone heaven! I changed over from Markbass to these, and I for one far prefer them. They just sound so much more, well, bassy. I use the vintage setting all the time, it gives you a lovely valve-y growl, real old-skool. Just to help - here's a photo of mine I took with my USA P Bass - [attachment=188174:20150306_201428.jpg] ...and here's a sound-sample, recorded a few weeks ago in the studio with same P-bass, and Rumble amp and cab mic'd up - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-xHT-cUC4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=mA-xHT-cUC4[/url] Let us know what you decide! :) [/quote]

SB, you're not helping me GAS for a Rumble. I'll looking at the 200 watt version as I only jam now and then. Do you know if there any difference apart from the number of watts?
Nice playing and I love the track BTW, what strings are you using. Love that tone.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1428009488' post='2737104']
Great tones and bassline there Spongebob.
[/quote]
[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1428044212' post='2737295']
Hey Spongebob, nicely done sir 😊
[/quote]
[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1428066414' post='2737673']
Great tone!
[/quote]

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

I know you're a real P-bass fan, Lozz - really appreciate your kind words....if you like it, I'm hopefully doing something correct!

Hopefully it demonstrates the great sound you can get - very easily from the Rumbles. EQ was set flat, just rolled a little treble off the bass itself. Track is my first I've written for the band (or was confident enough to present to them), so had to make it bass heavy! :D

I spent years with my Ricky/Markbass set-up, only to never be satisfied with my sound, both live and recorded. Had the odd Precision before, but always felt like I was straying! Last Autumn I sold up, picked up the white P as my sole bass, and this year added the Fender rig. I've never had such a 'real' tone before. I read on TB that the P and Rumble is a great combination - I agree, and I hope it shows here.

There's also a great 'bright' setting on the amp - just adds loads of clarity and treble. Fully open the tone up on the P, and it's instant early JJ Burnel - I love it, but can't sneak it too much into our Rhythm and Blues band! :ph34r:

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1428011962' post='2737158']
SB, you're not helping me GAS for a Rumble. I
Nice playing and I love the track BTW, what strings are you using. Love that tone.
[/quote]

Thanks Sam - very nice of you to say. :)

Strings were/are D'addario Nickels, 45-105 (EXL 165). Did experiment away from them with flats a few months back, but came back to these. Used them for ages before, and won't experiment again! :blush:

Before I changed back, I did a gig with the Rumble (amp, no cab) with some Fender flats. Good enough, but I found the tone was stronger with the nickels. Or probably it's just me! :ph34r:

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1428145645' post='2738445']
I just pulled the trigger :D. GAK price matched Musik Productiv's price (£413)
Now off to Roq Solid...
[/quote]

Good shout Norris! :) £413 is an awesome price.

One thing to watch - I got my first one from GAK - it was obviously a previously returned item. Someone had clearly had the front off before - but the main problem was a massive rattling sound from inside the amp whenever you played a single note. I rang them straight away, and it was speedily picked up, and I was refunded. Be sure it's not that one sent out again!

I bought a replacement from Gear4music - great service - and the 15" cab from Thomann - superb price.

+1 on the Roqsolid covers. Used to have them on my Markbass stuff, and didn't hesitate to cover the Fender stuff. I'd personally say their covers are better now than before - and they were excellent then! Just feel thicker and even more substantial.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it. What bass(es) are you going to use with it?

....and then there's the shopping for the cab! They do a matching 2x10" now.....by all accounts very good as well.....or go for the 15"! :D

I don't think I'll need an extension cab for the small pubs we play in. It's replacing my Peavey Databass 1x15 combo (450W)

I added a front panel pouch to the cover so I can slip in a thin sheet of MDF for extra protection of the cloth grille

Edit: Oh yeah, basses. Mainly my Ric 4003, occasionally my Thunderbird or my Squier P-bass Special (PJ)

And I'm hoping that dodgy one that GAK had is long gone by now!

Edited by Norris

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1428174979' post='2738877'] As an ex - Ricky addict, with a long list to my name, you have to please provide a sound a sample of your 4003 through the Rumble. GAS officially re-ignited..... [/quote]

+1.

Thunderbird sample too please. Bloody GAS.

NAD! I'll try to get to grips with it before I post any demos. First impressions are it's loud and has plenty of depth on hand (was a slight concern with switch from 1x15 to 2x10) I've had some nice tones out it with my PJ. Now to try the Ric...

:D

I gigged it for the first time tonight and I'm impressed. I was wondering how it would handle the bottom end but it had depth in buckets - and no extension cab either. It had the punch of my old amp but with extended range and clarity. My first impressions of the overdrive were not particularly good when I tried it at home, but with the band and crowd rocking it sounded good and I used it on a few songs. I'm well chuffed - cracking night (once I'd got the mids sorted). Hopefully it will get even better when it's played in a bit

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1428715136' post='2744082']
I gigged it for the first time tonight and I'm impressed.
[/quote]

Thanks for this... I presume yours is a rock-type band? If so, did the combo run out of steam at any point? I assume you get around 380W without an extension cab... what I'm asking basically is, was it loud enough and do you get sufficient headroom with it? Would it work without PA support if you were playing next to a shed-builder with a loud rock kit? :)

Edited by discreet