Why become a member? ×

On your last gig, which number went down the best?

leschirons

Gigged a new line up last night for the first time (new drummer and new guitarist, both French) Myself and the singer had taken the opportunity to weed out some old numbers and make quite a few changes in the play list.

To my surprise, the number that went down to tumultuous applause and screaming was "Crazy in love" Usually it's the Adele numbers or the French standards that we throw in. We do the Snow Patrol version so much rockier than the original. I admit I wasn't keen when it was first suggested but it was really fun to play and I couldn't believe the reaction.

This will now be our new "end of gig biggie"

[i][b]Come Together[/b][/i].

And this from an audience comprising almost entirely 30-ish year olds.

They danced, they sang along, they waved crutches in the air. No, really they did.

Wonderful evening all round, but at times quite bizarre.

Difficult to say, as we tend to start very well from the start and am sometimes gratefully surprised that the first numbers gets
such a reception... but I'd probably have to say 'Fooled again' or what ever number of that ilk that we finish with..

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1427635676' post='2732504']
What do you start with?
[/quote]

Good souls by Starsailor or Come together...both or which can be really powerful.
The other choice will be 'Grounds for Divorce' which I feel hasn't got the same impact, for us.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1427644518' post='2732632']
....I feel your pain.

Why is it that the songs that the punters constantly demand are the ones that I hate playing the most??
[/quote]

It is not that it is such a poor song, it isn't, but every bloody band does it and that is the main reason to avoid it like the plague, IMO.
We resisted it for ages and ages and only brought it out for a function or party. We wont play it in pubs.

Thing is most of the time if it's one of our muso pubs we end with 25 or 6 to 4, but in the pisshead ones it's the crap like SOF and bloody Dakota that kicks it off into a singing and dance fest! There's nothing better IMHO than a bunch having a good time in front of you, you're there to entertain and these are the damned infernal songs that do it!! Yuk!
I must admit that one of our other best songs is Piece of my Heart which our girlie singer absolutely nails!!!

Edited by barneyg42