Why become a member? ×

Bass compressors that keep zingy top? COMPRESSOR PICKED!

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Currently wanting to invest in a decent compressor. I currently have an Ashdown Dual band. But was hoping to go single band with better threshold controls.

The Markbass compressor is going for a great price but I hear it loses those high end frequencies that I love.

What would be some compressors to check out?

Edited by Shockwave

I recently reviewed the Seymour Duncan Studio bass. I wanna buy one! I've been a massive fan of the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics pedal that I'd recommend in a heart beat, but they are getting harder to come by. The SD has turned out to be a bit of a dark horse. It's pricey, but certainly in the time I had to review it I was very impressed.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1427641675' post='2732582']
To improve on my original request, I am looking for something very aggressive with plenty of top end. :)
[/quote]

The SD isn't aggressive toned in the top end, so maybe not a choice you are after then. It's a super clean machine.

Bit of compressor newbie but did lots of research before I bought. Got myself a Budda Chakra and really don't see myself using anything else. Simple, sounds great and really transparent (or aggressive if you turn up the gain). £60 delivered from Amazon. Job done.

Have you thought about something with a mix control for a bit of parallel compression ?

I've got a VFE White Horse and I'm not sure if it would fit the bill for you in terms of style of compression, but I find the blend control's great for bringing back some the initial attack.

Does it have to be a pedal ? You'll get a lot more flexibility / tweakability / value if you can use a rackmount. Also any price limits ?
Sounds like an Empirical Labs Distressor would fit the bill but you'd need £1000+ to go shopping for one !

Edited by rmorris

+1 for the Nova Dynamic NDY-1.
IMO one of the best pedal-compressors!

I can recommend a [url="http://disssa.jimdo.com/reviews/effekte/origin-effects-cali76-tx-kompressor/"]Cali76[/url]. Versatile and really nice sounding compression with a lot of settings. But this pedal is huge!

+1 for the MXR M87 - its got all the control you'll need and is very transparent (and small!)

There's a new one coming from Keeley too which is supposed to be very good:

[url="https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-compressor-pro-namm-2015/"]https://robertkeeley...-pro-namm-2015/[/url]

Billy Sheehan is a true compression guru and he's raving about this one!

Edited by LewisK1975

Lots of nice compressors out there.

The thing is the brightness is as often as not a function of the attack time.

A very short attack will catch the input sound quickly enough to cut out a lot of the transient, and that is where a huge amount of perceived brightness, particularly aggressive brightness, is found.

If you dont have a seperate attack control you are stuffed, but if you get a decent compressor it will have one, and you want to roll it back to no less than 30ms on the attack.

In order for the attack to function on every note the release must also be fast, otherwise the compressor action never resets between the notes, so the transient of subsequent notes its affected by the compressor.

A starting point for the release (for me) would be around 60 to 80ms, remember the release only starts once the input level drops below the threshold.

Getting the release (or indeed the attack) too fast can cause unwanted artifacts so listen carefully as you shorten the release for distortions and glitchy levels.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1427661860' post='2732843']
markbass compressore is a brilliant transparent pedal BUT its big and will want its own pedal socket so if pedalboard space is an issue....
[/quote]

While I'm sure the Compressore works for you to describe it as transparent is misinformation. It sounds great but it definitely adds a lot of colour to your tone.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427713498' post='2733257']
Empress Compressor.

Best I've ever found, and I'm a compression junkie.
[/quote]

This is currently my favourite compressor. Incredibly transparent and putting a passive HPF in the sidechain really lets the low B on fives punch through without getting squished too much.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427713498' post='2733257']
Empress Compressor.
[/quote]
[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1427749633' post='2733930']
Again the empress is my current fave.
[/quote]

Empress or Diamond for me. Not sure if either would be suitable for the OP, though. :)

Edited by discreet