Why become a member? ×

Sterling SUB Ray 4 issues

Funky Dunky

Mine is really buzzy/rattley/zingy/clackey and a nightmare to control.

I changed the strings to Dunlop Super Brights, which are nickel, but it hasn't helped one bit. I have the same strings on my Squier and have no such problems. Is there any chance the frets/fretwire could be a factor? I'm really struggling to eliminate or even minimise the unwanted handling noises on this bass. I'm fairly confident it's not my technique, as I have no such problems with my Squier. I have made numerous tweaks and finally got the action to a nice playable place, albeit with a bit more buzzing than I would like above the 12th fret, but I'm having what feels like an insane amount of handling noise all over the neck. I would try roundwounds but I play a lot of slap. Would halfwounds help any?

Anyone have similar problems with these (or any) basses? Any tips, suggestions or solutions?

Thanks guys.

I have a sub Ray 5, so not quite the same, but haven't had any similar issues, if anything I find it just the opposite, compared to my squier.
I just have budget roundwounds on mine though, so a bit different.
Not much help, sorry, but maybe there is something about your setup?

Do these unwanted sounds exist when you play it unplugged - if they do then it's obviously a set-up issue. Buzzing all along the neck is usually due to too low an action and buzzing at the dusty end is usually because the neck has a bit too much relief. I could be wrong here but I seem to remember other owners commenting on the character of the onboard preamp; notably the way it emphasises treble (and not in a particularly helpful way) when boosted which might be adding to the buzz/rattle/clack you're hearing when you're amped up. I know some people have swapped out the stock preamp for a Retrovibe Stinger preamp which is reputed to be much closer to the original Stingray sound.

Not so much when unplugged, no. The truss rod, if anything, has very little relief, and the action is not über-low. Indeed, the stick preamp is awful and cannot handle the output of the pickup, which is a disgrace in my opinion. Sterling must know about this as even the earliest reviews of the Sub Ray basses mentioned it.

Check for a lifted frets. I had one which had this and a touch of super glue on the offending fret and it was good. I also read a review of one that had a lifted fret too. The consensus in the review was that, due to the shipping from Indonesia, via the U.S. to our damp shores resulted in too many humidity/temp changes, thus the lifted frets.

I found that running a fingernail down the frets works, generally anything that it can dig well into is bad enough to cause fret buzz.
Least that's what I found when I discovered what was wrong with my Kit jazz bass neck, a lifted fret at the 14th fret for the E and A strings, But YMMV and all that.

But as Plunger said a visual inspection would pick that up aswell, just once I could not for the life of me spot it, so I tried that haha.

Edited by SolomonHelsing