Why become a member? ×

Fingering problem

JoeEvans

I've recently started to play the double bass after having played a fretless for years. There's a thing I've always done on fretless that I can't do on the double bass, but I'm sure I've heard people carrying it off in recordings, so I'm interested as to whether anyone has any suggestions (or even knows what I'm on about...)
When playing a walking baseline with a triplet feel on fretless, I will sometimes play octave-fifth-root in a quick triplet sweep (e.g. D on the G string, A on the D string, D on the A string), with a rhythm like ba-ba-ba dum dum dum dum etc. The move is a little bit like the second to fourth notes of the baseline of 'Money' by Pink Floyd, only with the three descending notes played as triplets within a one note per beat line.
Anyway, on a fretless I can finger this 4-3-1 and hold that more or less as a chord while sweeping one right hand finger down across the strings. On a double bass I can't do the left hand in the same way at all, but I hear people pulling something very like this off on various jazz recordings. Do I just need to practice more, or does anyone have any cunning tips as to how to achieve this effect?

Edited by JoeEvans

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1427664919' post='2732899']
I'm not an expert, but I don't think people tend to use the little finger so much on double bass, not on its own anyway, I think they tend to use fingers 3 and 4 together, finger 3 on top of finger 4 to help it.
[/quote]

The third finger (ring) is seldom used below fifth (C on G string). Too big a stretch. Little finger is often used on its own. Might just need practice to strengthen it. You could try playing the same triplet run in second position which would be less of a stretch for you. As always practice.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The pattern described would probably be played using a barre chord whereby the little finger (supported by the third) would bridge both the higher D and A siultaneously whilst the index finger would cover the low D.[/font][/color][/quote]
Ah - ok. I tried that out but it felt very tough - is that something that you (or any other DB players) do as a matter of course?

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So many innuendos[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So little time[/font][/color][/quote]
Look, this is a sensible discussion about fingering. I'm having a problem achieving the effect I want and I'm after some tips: which fingers to use, how many fingers and so on. I really don't see how you could squeeze any innuendo out of that.

• 2 weeks later...

try barring with pinky and index as you rake over the strings..should work for you...easy to control your timbre consistency too...try it, you'll like it..
from high descending to low..octave 5th root use pinky for octave and 5th, then grab the low root with index...think tri-pi-let for the groove..