Why become a member? ×

Stability of vertically stacked cabs

onehappybunny

Currently on a mission to read everything on the internet before purchasing new amp/cabs... :rolleyes:

Looking at a 2x12" modular cab set up to provide flexibility for rehearsals gigs etc. The TKS cabs that I am considering (2 x TKS 112's) would be 104cm high on a base of 38cm x 33cm.

They look great, really flexible, get the sound nearer your ears for monitoring on small stages, aid sound dispersion but before going this route I was wondering how stable they are.

Would hate to buy a great new amp only to have it topple from over a metre high when someone bumps into it :unsure:

I used to stack my DB112 cabs on their side which heightened the drivers/tweeter and though it wouldn't withstand someone falling into it, there was sufficient stability that it never budged under normal use. I presently have a pair of TC RS210 cabs and they are even taller/narrower (I stack them vertically aligned as opposed to on their sides) and again this certainly wouldn't stay upright if some loon fell into them but I can't think of a situation where I'd have anyone bimbling around that might knock them. ;)

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/100_2456_zpscf5f9baa.jpg.html][IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2456_zpscf5f9baa.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Merton is selling his Barefaced SC g3 cabs for the same reason.

I wonder how many people are moving about on your (and his) side of the stage? How would your rig get knocked over? When I set up there's just me and access to the drum kit on my side.

Also, how loud do you play? My bands are pretty loud and I had no trouble hearing my 2 112 cabs and that rig didn't even come up to my waist. I found no need to vertically stack my 112 cabs.

Back in the day, we used to stack 2 412 cabs and a valve amp on some very iffy stages and I've never seen a stack come close to falling over.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427704914' post='2733118']

I wonder how many people are moving about on your (and his) side of the stage? How would your rig get knocked over? When I set up there's just me and access to the drum kit on my side.

Also, how loud do you play? My bands are pretty loud and I had no trouble hearing my 2 112 cabs and that rig didn't even come up to my waist. I found no need to vertically stack my 112 cabs.

Back in the day, we used to stack 2 412 cabs and a valve amp on some very iffy stages and I've never seen a stack come close to falling over.
[/quote]what is the reason that Merton is selling his cabs?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427704914' post='2733118']

[/quote]what is the reason that Merton is selling his cabs?

The thing that always worries me stability-wise is that with the use of light weight speaker cabs there is a danger of making your stack top-heavy.

Those big old stacks were rarely a a problem because no matter how tall they were and how heavy the valve heads were, the cabs would always weigh more.

Something like a Barefaced compact weighs only 10-11kg, and despite the fact that I have a light class D amp, with all the other items in the rack - multi-effects, tuner, wireless receiver, PSUs and mains distribution the rack weighs more than twice as much as the cab. Even a Super Twin doesn't weigh as much as my amp rack. I can't see the combination of a decent rack system on top of light weight speaker cab(s) being very stable.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427720332' post='2733385']
what is the reason that Merton is selling his cabs?
[/quote]

You could always have a read of his for sale thread... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258665-barefaced-super-compacts-x2-silver-grille/ :)

PS they have always been an immensely stable rig in the past, it's all because the new amp is too wide, deep and heavy to make me confident in a stack.

Staying with BF and going for a Retro Six10 hopefully :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427697404' post='2733037']

Looking at a 2x12" modular cab set up to provide flexibility for rehearsals gigs etc. The TKS cabs that I am considering (2 x TKS 112's) would be 104cm high on a base of 38cm x 33cm.

They look great, really flexible, get the sound nearer your ears for monitoring on small stages, aid sound dispersion but before going this route I was wondering how stable they are.

Would hate to buy a great new amp only to have it topple from over a metre high when someone bumps into it :unsure:
[/quote]

I have this set up with a TH500 on top, which is unbelievably light, so not sure how it would do with a 20kg amp on top. It's perfectly stable though. It would take a bump to topple it.

Having had a stack topple over, this is one reason why I never would stack vertically.
If 2 cabs stack to waist height then that is enough for me to hear perfectly with
2x112 and definitely 2x210's.
Dispersion isn't factor either.
If you are going for a TKS cab you'll hear the definition unless you use stupid bass sounds
and then no cab is really going to help you, IMV.

Stability can be an issue unless you always play well built stages.... and since we probably don't,
uneven floors or flexing bouncey floors can be an accident waiting to happen.

When my amp and cab went over under power, not only did the amp need repairing, so did both speakers.
That was an expensive episode ..so I'm not risking repeating it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427748532' post='2733912']
Having had a stack topple over, this is one reason why I never would stack vertically.
[/quote]

That's where personal circumstances will dictate if a vertical stack is needed/viable. I don't play bouncy or unsteady stages nor are there loons who might topple my gear and to me the dispersion 'is' important... hence I stack and am happier with it that way than lower/squat/horizontal. :)

Two 1x12s isn`t too much of a risk, they`re usually quite stable. I however won`t be stacking my two Super 12s vertically as with them being so light, coupled with the crowds sometimes being a bit boisterous, I`d be too worried that the`d topple over. I`ve used 4x12s before, loved them, so having my two 2x12s like this isn`t a problem for me.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1427788369' post='2734131']
That's where personal circumstances will dictate if a vertical stack is needed/viable. I don't play bouncy or unsteady stages nor are there loons who might topple my gear and to me the dispersion 'is' important... hence I stack and am happier with it that way than lower/squat/horizontal. :)
[/quote]

ok..but I find stages very varibile, even 'pro' built ones ( sure, you can argue the point about 'pro' )
..and don't get me started on old stone floors in pubs, :lol:
If you are talking about 2 x112...there is no dispersion factor to consider, anyway....
that is before you have to consider whether the frequencies are relevent either.