Why become a member? ×

Best Amp for Barefaced Super compact(s)

LewisK1975

Hey all, got 2 Barefaced Super compacts coming soon - and I'm going to be looking to change my amp too.

Alex advised me to carry on using my Ashdown ABM evoii for a few gigs after getting the compacts to better judge what I would/could change to - sound advice indeed.

I intend to do this but I've seen over the weekend that the Orange Terror Bass 500 has come down in price to £349!

Very tempted to just pull the trigger on one - anyone used one with a G3 super compact, or indeed a pair of super compacts?

For info I'm particularly looking for a head which I could use with either one or both cabs - some of the venues I play definitely wont need a pair!

Others I've considered are the LittleMark 3 and the Tecamp 500 - any advice from other Barefaced users greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

The correct answer is, it depends ...

What sort of music do you play? Are you a tapping & slapping person, a doom-laden Goth monster, a heads-down no-nonsense mindless boogie type, etc.?

The OTB is a truly great head and a perfect match for Barefaced cabs with 12" drivers (IMHO and IME) but it is famously a one-trick pony.

If you like that one trick (and I do, believe me I do) then it's an awesome head.

If not, then you will be eternally frustrated by the total lack of flexibility or EQ, and you will invest your entire pension fund in FX pedals in a desperate attempt to remedy the situation.

Your call ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427707657' post='2733160']
The correct answer is, it depends ...
[/quote]

True indeed Happy Jack - was just thinking I should give a bit more info / detail about my other gear etc...

In my band I mainly play a 5 string Jazz, but also use a 4 string Jazz and 4 String P basses too if/when necessary.

The music is up-to-date pop stuff mainly - mainly fingerstyle, bit of slap here and there (uptown funk!)

Also use a splash of dirt here and there (EBS Billy sheehan pedal), chorus (just a smidge and usually left on), Flanger here and there, and lastly the MXR M87 compressor before the amp..

Think thats it!

I've recently heard BF cabs being played with a TC RH750 and a GB STL 9.2 and both sounded fantastic.

I have used an LM2, which is close to the LM3, and always got a good sound out of it.

My Aguilar TH500's have sounded great with a fat, warm vintage vibe, through all the cabs I've used, including a BB2.

These are all shades of great. I think you've got to hear the amps before you decide.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427709298' post='2733181']
I think you've got to hear the amps before you decide.
[/quote]

I know you're right Chris - it's just that i'm not sure the Bass Terror's that the shops have in stock are going to be around for very long at that price! I'll have to get my arse somewhere and try one sharpish I think!

Day off work coming I think!

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1427713681' post='2733263']
A carvin BX series will power the cabs with headroom to spare,
I have a BX1600 for sale if that's any interest
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, great amp for sure but I'm looking to downsize and those, whilst lightweight, are bigger than i'm looking for. Thanks again tho.

Just about to advertise my Genz Shuttle 9.2 for sale in next few days as I fancy a change in amps.

I've been using it with Barefaced cabs for a while and it'll go really well with your cabs and musical style imho.......

Pm me for details if interested :-)

Guest monsterthompson

Consider something with a semi para mid control and/or hi-mid and lo-mid control. I found the midrange adjustments on that cab make a big difference. Because it lacks a tweeter and highs over 4k, it can end up sounding a little boxy at low volumes, particularly when new. As it breaks in, it opens up a bit. At volume, it also evens out. I've got a Shuttle 9.0. I also use a Tonehammer pedal into the power section of that amp, so I effectively have a Tonehammer amp (I've heard the power amps are identical). I also have had great luck with a Mesa Buster if you feel like toting around a 200w tube head :) I'm currently considering snagging a GK MB or even RB head, but only because I have more money than talent.

Edited by monsterthompson

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1427732472' post='2733605']
Consider something with a semi para mid control and/or hi-mid and lo-mid control. I found the midrange adjustments on that cab make a big difference. Because it lacks a tweeter and highs over 4k, it can end up sounding a little boxy at low volumes, particularly when new. As it breaks in, it opens up a bit. At volume, it also evens out. I've got a Shuttle 9.0. I also use a Tonehammer pedal into the power section of that amp, so I effectively have a Tonehammer amp (I've heard the power amps are identical). I also have had great luck with a Mesa Buster if you feel like toting around a 200w tube head :) I'm currently considering snagging a GK MB or even RB head, but only because I have more money than talent.
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I should have the cabs shortly (just heard from Alex), so I think I'll wait and take them with me on a visit to Bass Direct or somewhere like that and try a few different heads with them. I guess you're right though, having as much control over the mids as possible is going to be very important with cabs of this quality, being very 'true' and all that..perhaps I should even consider something like that new ashdown retroglide - which just has the input / gain, a 12-band graphic, then 800watt class D ouptut. Decisions, decisions...

I don't think most Super Compact owners need an amp with significant midrange control - it's a cab which is very honest through the mids, no peaks, no dips, consistent on and off-axis. If your bass makes the sound you want and your fingers do what you want AND your amp makes the sound, you want then the Super Compact will make the sound you want. It won't do extended treble clarity/sheen etc but that's what the Big Baby 2 and Super Midget are for. It won't mellow/smooth/dirtify/colour/etc but that's what the Retro Two10 is for.

Let us know how the ABM sounds with them and if you want/need to change amp then you have a good reference point!

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427801178' post='2734335']
Let us know how the ABM sounds with them and if you want/need to change amp then you have a good reference point!
[/quote]

Top advice thanks Alex - at the moment, It's definitely more of a 'want' to change rather than need (I guess I'll find out if I 'need' to change after a few gigs using the Super Compacts with the ABM) I think my main concern is that my ABM is the 300watt version, and I'm a little concerned about that not being enough to drive the cabs effectively..

If I'm completely honest though, having new cabs coming soon gives me serious GAS for a new amp!

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1427791940' post='2734183']
Thanks for that - I should have the cabs shortly (just heard from Alex), so I think I'll wait and take them with me on a visit to Bass Direct or somewhere like that and try a few different heads with them. I guess you're right though, having as much control over the mids as possible is going to be very important with cabs of this quality, being very 'true' and all that..perhaps I should even consider something like that new ashdown retroglide - which just has the input / gain, a 12-band graphic, then 800watt class D ouptut. Decisions, decisions...
[/quote]
I think the Retroglide is a very nice looking amp. I'm considering it down the road. I think it would be a good choice if it performs as advertised.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427801178' post='2734335']
I don't think most Super Compact owners need an amp with significant midrange control - it's a cab which is very honest through the mids, no peaks, no dips, consistent on and off-axis. If your bass makes the sound you want and your fingers do what you want AND your amp makes the sound, you want then the Super Compact will make the sound you want. It won't do extended treble clarity/sheen etc but that's what the Big Baby 2 and Super Midget are for. It won't mellow/smooth/dirtify/colour/etc but that's what the Retro Two10 is for.
[/quote] Alex, I trust your science about the lack of dips and peaks. However, I will say that the Super Compact sounded different from other cabs I've played, and probably because of their dips and peaks. I would venture that if a user has an amp and bass they like with other cabs and want to retain that tone but change to Super Compact for the weight savings, they will appreciate having an amp that lets the dial in the dips and peaks they are used to hearing. Since each builder has different dips and peaks, I have found the semi-para mid control to be a useful tool to dial in the sound I like with the Genz Shuttle 9.0. Now my Buster tube head doesn't need the same tweaking, but it seems silly to tote the extra weight of that head when I bought a fly-weight cab :) I think there is more to it than just liking the sound of the amp and bass. Also, different rooms will require different EQ. I think the added semi-para is quite helpful given the SC's ability to replicate what you put into it.

Edited by monsterthompson

Having a very "honest, open and consistent" cab can (IME) reveal issues with other parts of your signal chain... On the other hand, it can really open up the sonic possibilities of your playing! It's a tough dilemma sometimes! :D

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1427820713' post='2734682']Alex, I trust your science about the lack of dips and peaks[/quote]

Although the science is true my view comes from being someone who has played bass for a long time and is bloody good at playing bass his own way - particularly with respect to tone, groove, feel etc. And from selling lots of cabs to lots of other bassists!

If you personally find that to get your tone you need to do complex midrange tweakery then that's all well and good but I'd suggest that the vast majority of bassists won't need to do so with the Super Compact.

Edited by alexclaber

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427874944' post='2735193']
Having a very "honest, open and consistent" cab can (IME) reveal issues with other parts of your signal chain... On the other hand, it can really open up the sonic possibilities of your playing! It's a tough dilemma sometimes! :D
[/quote] Yup. When I started moving to more "honest" sounding cabs, I found things in my chain I had never heard before. I've changed my set up in ways I'd never have considered in earlier years. I find that the more I do DI recording (and in my last band using only DI/FOH) the more I work toward having an amp and speaker combo where the sound matches the signal before it hits the cab, so I'm not dealing with two different sounds.
[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427879798' post='2735273']
Although the science is true my view comes from being someone who has played bass for a long time and is bloody good at playing bass his own way - particularly with respect to tone, groove, feel etc. And from selling lots of cabs to lots of other bassists!

If you personally find that to get your tone you need to do complex midrange tweakery then that's all well and good but I'd suggest that the vast majority of bassists won't need to do so with the Super Compact.
[/quote] My comments are meant with all due respect to your cabs. I'm sure you are a fantastic player and have a tremendous ear. I had lusted after your cabs for a long time, and you swayed me to buy one when I was looking at other high-end cabs which were significantly cheaper for me in the USA, and I liked it enough to buy a second, and I'm considering a third. I find the cab sound benefits from mid control because mids are so important in defining the sound of bass. I play a variety of styles (terribly) and find that what sounds good solo for practice isn't what sounds good when I do industrial or metal, which isn't what sounds good playing blues or rock. I'd say if the OP is looking for a new amp, the he should consider one which will allow him to take advantage of the cab's nature. Something like an Orange TB will be fine *if* that is the only sound he wants/needs. Something like a Tecamp Puma (or the new Retroglide) will provide significantly more options. I think the advice you gave the OP to carry on with the existing amp for a bit and then decide what to change (if anything) is the right advice. The Ashdown Evo head he already has does allow for some pretty extensive tone shaping.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1427976715' post='2736558']
I have a barefaced super 12T & I find my Mark bass heads sound very thin compared to my Ashdown ABM 400 RH head .
[/quote]

If I am looking for a certain projection of frequencies, and these tend to be higher mids that really cut through, I think the cab needs to be biased here, typically, I don't like to force it too much from the amp.

I had the ABM 500 and got a great tone from it, rolled back on the bass a little it gave me a nice punchy tone. never understood why people seem to slate Ashdowns so much. I'd be inclined to give your amp a chance before changing. The new Evo 4 looks good.