Why become a member? ×

Music Man (USA) stockists - I want to try a Sterling

fretmeister

I've been trawling through the official stockists to try and find a 4 string Sterling to try.

Loads of places have plenty of Stingrays with a variety of pickup and fingerboard options - but no Sterlings!

It's the neck shape I'm most interested to try as the Ray 4 string is a bit chunky for me.

Anyone seen a USA Sterling anywhere in the East Mids / Beds / Bucks / Northants area?

My local pmt told me they or any other branch can get ernie ball on sale or return from there distributors ..might be worth a call..though I was led to believe it's the body shape that differs and the necks the same ,I have a usa sub base and had a usa sterling both 5 strings though I couldn't see any diffrence ..

Edited by patrikmarky

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427745772' post='2733855']
Neck is definitely different on a Sterling vs a Ray. Very loosely it's a bit like comparing a P to a J but there are lots of variations (from both brands).

Personally I much prefer the Sterling but I'm definitely in a minority here!
[/quote]

Nope I prefer the Sterling to the Ray as well
!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427747154' post='2733890']
Is that because we are both wimps :)

In fact, I've got a bass weighing just 5.7lbs arriving tomorrow!
[/quote]
:D

Weight, S/P/SC switching, slimmer neck and down-sized body... what's not to prefer about the Sterling.

5.7 is pretty light, what is it?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1427747718' post='2733899']

Weight, S/P/SC switching, slimmer neck and down-sized body... what's not to prefer about the Sterling.

5.7 is pretty light, what is it?
[/quote]

Ritter R8, 33.3" scale, super slim neck profile, tobacco burst, solid silver oval fret markers.

https://ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=695

The body is cedar and it has an ebony board. Jens says it sounds like a really nice old jazz bass - just weighs half as much. . .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427749310' post='2733923']
Ritter R8, 33.3" scale, super slim neck profile, tobacco burst, solid silver oval fret markers.

[url="https://ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=695"]https://ritter-instr..._info.php?i=695[/url]

The body is cedar and it has an ebony board. Jens says it sounds like a really nice old jazz bass - just weighs half as much. . .
[/quote]

Could do with a few more bolts in the neck to balance it better. ;)

I think Musicman dealers will get them in on SoR also - the list of dealers is on both the main Musicman site and the Musicman UK site.

One other point, you can get a Stingray with the Sterling type neck - called an SLO special - it has one less fret (the Sterling has 22 frets as per the SR5 whereas the Stingray 4 string has 21).

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1427747718' post='2733899']

what's not to prefer about the Sterling.

[/quote]

The ceramic pickup for my taste. Starlings are great basses, I've had two in the past. I just always wanted the alnico vibe even though the ceramic has its own charms.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427731450' post='2733588']
Anyone seen a USA Sterling anywhere in the East Mids / Beds / Bucks / Northants area?
[/quote]

manchester too far from you? Drew @ GGBL has one in stock - 2nd hand. http://greatbritishbasslounge.com/product/musicman-sterling/

I had one off him a few years back (trans red) and it was just sublime. PXd it for a Warwick Thumb abd wish I hadn't!