Why become a member? ×

NBD and Peavey necks

kodiakblair

A week before it was due in stock I got my shipping text from Thomann and 54 ? hours later it was delivered to Scotland :biggrin:
It being the HB-60-VW.
[attachment=187913:HB 60 VW (2).jpg]

Out the box this wee beauty needed nothing done bar a tune.Binding is well done,no flaws in the finish,no sharp or raised frets
and a very comfortable low action.I've no idea what strings they used but they're decent enough just kinda bright for my taste.

As chance would have it the following morning BC'er fingerz was selling a set of Chromes so I'll be trying both them and Status
Hot Wire nylon on it.No crackles or hum from the electrics.The pot arrangement is slightly strange , neck Vol is on the lower horn
and bridge Vol at the end of the F hole with the tone towards the tail piece.

Playing wise it's sound,the C shape neck is very comfortable but I reckon I'll need more time with it to find the right height on a strap.
Fellow BC'er theplumber seemed quite taken with it yesterday,noodling away as we talked bass.

And talk bass we did. :D

As he's got himself something nice coming,I'll leave spilling the beans to him,he was moving on a Peavey :o When Peavey UK was
closing last year theplumber,jonobolton and myself all bought Foundation bodies,with varying success. Mines had been boxed unwrapped
so had scratches,jono's if I mind right was a 5 string body with 1 pickup included and theplumbers was fully loaded and mint.Originally I
planned on fitting a Millennium neck but that went on a Zodiac so went for a T-40 neck instead,jono sourced a Foundation neck and Stevie
used a Millennium neck.Here's my Foundations,Stevie's has joined the clan :)
[attachment=187914:Foundations.jpg]

So how does the Millennium neck rate against the Foundation neck ? Simple,it does great.Both my Foundations suffered from neck bow,as
did the T-45,Dyna and Patriot,once corrected though they were fine.This took more than just adjusting the truss rod,they needed clamped up.
The Foundation neck pockets weren't a snug fit either.

Here's the 5'er compared to the one using the Millennium,it's the same gap both sides of the 5 and same on the black one.
[attachment=187915:F 52.jpg][attachment=187916:F Mill.jpg]

Not a great deal of difference in dimensions between the Foundation and Millennium with only .4mm at the nut,depth is where they differ. Again not
by much, Millennium is 19.6mm at the 3rd fret and 21.2mm at 12th with the Foundation being 20.5mm at 3rd but 24.9mm at 12th.These are tiny amounts
so it might be I've not got the set up right on the stock Foundations or it may be down to slightly different finishes on the necks.

All I can say is the Foundation with the Millennium neck plays brilliant. Cheers Stevie yer a star.

Now I've still a Foundation body with 1 pickup and and a T-40 to get built :D
[attachment=187917:Pain of Peavey (4).jpg]

AT

It's very close to sounding like the Classic 4.BTW I got the bridge Vol and Tone positions reversed.

I last had a hollow body 32 years back, a Commodore I think, so I really wasn't sure what too expect. Certainly the
pickups on this aren't held in with nails like the Commodore's were :D

I'm hoping to get a Cortison injection in my right wrist tomorrow so haven't had much time to explore this one but from
the little time I've had it's impressive.More time and a playaround with controls will pay off.

Compared to the RB414 this is the better bass,well it is for me.It's an easier bass to get comfy with.I haven't found a position
on the 414 where to put my right hand whereas with this there's more options.

I've ordered the nylon from Status an thought about trying a pick but there's no way I can grip a pick ATM so that's on hold.

Between the HB and the Peavey it was a damn fine weekend.Get my hand working tomorrow and it'll be a great week ;)

Cheers David.....As you mentioned,I have something else winging its way to me....Another Tokai! Black jazz/p bass with gold hardwear. Very much like the jazz version I used to own ..before being skint at mortgage time a couple of years past. Unlike the previous one,which I got for £90 off e bay,this was a bit more costly. The seller wanted £460. I put in a late night,drink fueled bid of £399. Which was accepted the next morning. The only thing was,it's the wife's e bay account and the message came through her e mail,on her phone as we were out shopping on Saturday. Let's put it this way.....I had a bit of explaing to do!! Anyway,my loss is Davy's gain! Punted the Peavey and also another bass I had kicking around,covered the cost ok....result! Oh,just checked the paypal info on the payment details.....seems the seller goes under the name of John Giblin!.......I wonder if?.......no.....it can't be!!!.....

No be the first time Mr Giblin's selt a bass Stevie :)

Saw the GP the night,he was talking Carpal Tunnel but no jab until he know where it's needed :blush:
Been a bugger swinging the hammer last few weeks,3 times it's slipped out the hand.

Keeps the boys on their toes :D

Looking forward to some photos Stevie.