Why become a member? ×

MIM P bass tuners - worth changing?

Wilco

Modding a MIM P. A little undecided on whether to change the tuning pegs or not. Stock ones seem ok - has anyone found an aftermarket upgrade that does not require the drilling of additional holes, & if so, a noticeable difference thereafter?

Thanks.

Edited by Wilco

I believe Hipshot do a good MIM replacement.
They're a bit pricey just for the look of it though - if your stock tuners work OK I'd leave 'em. :)

[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-Hipshot-HB-7-Bass-Machine-Head-Nickel-Clov-p/20710hb7.htm"]http://www.axesrus.c...-p/20710hb7.htm[/url]

Edited by discreet

The tuners are about the only thing on my MIM Jazz that I wouldn't be bothered about changing!

OK so they don't feel quite as "premium" as some, but they work perfectly well. They hold tuning fine, and it's never suffered with neck dive, so can't see a few grams weight saving would have a significant impact on anything...

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1427799395' post='2734310']
OK so they don't feel quite as "premium" as some, but they work perfectly well. They hold tuning fine, and it's never suffered with neck dive, so can't see a few grams weight saving would have a significant impact on anything...
[/quote]

I think it's the premium feel that makes the difference - it's what adds quality to a bass from the point of view of the player. But I agree, I wouldn't spend the extra if there was nothing wrong with the stock tuners - unless I was awash with loot, in which case I would have bought a premium bass in the first place. :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think I'll whack some new strings on at the weekend & after they've settled, see how the existing tuners function for a while.

I've just clocked that they are the same type as on my Highway One Jazz, & those are perfectly fine.

Yeah the HW1 has Mexi hardware. It's fine.

The Hipshots are an upgrade on a lot of the older US / Jap tuners though. A lot of which are 16:1, the Hipshots are 20:1. They are noticeably different from the Mexican / HW1s. Top class rather than just fine.

Edited by bigjohn

My MiM P Bass's tuners are fantastic, I only need to tune it once at the beginning of the gig and it stays solid.

Many times I have taken it out of the case after weeks and it has still been in tune as well!

The only reason I would ever change them would be to have some black ones just because they look cool.