Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V-4B

Jazzjames

Hey everyone,

I was up in Scotland at the weekend and tried out a brand new Ampeg V-4B with matching 2x12 cab as I was A/Bing a bass in a shop against mine. I didn't like the bass, but was pretty taken with the sound of the Ampeg rig. So warm and smooth yet clear!

What's your experiences with gigging these heads? Not so much the old ones, these newer lighter reissues...

At the moment I'm using an Aguilar TH500 with 2 DB112s. A good setup I think you'll agree, but how do you think the V-4B would compare in terms of volume and grunt to the Aguilar?

The Aguilar has plenty enough grunt for me already, I'm not looking for more, it's just the tone of the ampeg was something else!

Thanks,

James

I had one for a week, but it was a dud so had to go back.

When it was working, it sounded great. Also being half the weight of an SVT was a big bonus.

If you do buy one, and need a brand-new, unused, padded, Roqsolid cover for it, I have one for sale in the Other Items section - it arrived after the amp went back

I always thought that I need at least 200 watts or more to be ready for gigs. But I discovered the 100 watt amps for me. I own/owned Ashdown CTM100, EBS T90, TE TwinValve and a [url="http://disssa.jimdo.com/reviews/amps/ampeg-v-4b/"]Ampeg V-4B[/url]. Normaly I play over a 410+115 cab-combination, but I tested the SVT-212 with the Ampeg V-4B. The amp has a clean sound, also at higher volumes. Enough for gigs!