Why become a member? ×

Greetings from London

Luli

Hello Basschat veterans , I've been meaning to set up an account for ages but never got round to it, it's great to now actually be on here.

I guess i'll start by telling you a little about myself. While I do still consider myself a 'young man', I have been playing music for the vast majority of my life . I started out at the Royal Academy when I was three playing the cello and for what ever reason I always resented it, i Always resented practicing and I almost always resented performing. I look back on this time will a sense of peace. Yes I really was not enjoying myself at the time however I did garner an essential set of skills from a very young age and for that I am thankful.

Like most people on here I would imagine, I have always been attracted to low end, It's just that when I was younger I didn't know it. The time when I put two and two together was when I actually started to develop a musical taste. The first album I ever bought was the Iron Maiden complete collection ,I was then quickly turned onto RHCP, then onto the Gorillaz and after that I went deeper and deeper into funk and groove based stuff until eventually I'm showing my peers a Graham Central Station record will a look of awe in my face and they can't understand why this I find this music is just so damn awesome.

Now by this time, I'm twelve and with hind sight I can say that I was pretty good at playing the cello, for instance : I auditioned for the first desk of the London School Symphony Orchestra (LSSO) and got the place. I was going to start in a few months time however, emotionally and creatively for me, things were were coming to a head. That is why one day , I stormed out of my room down the stairs to the living room where my dad was sitting and rather dramatically proclaimed : 'dad i want to quit playing the cello !' And without battering an eyelid he looked at me and in a completely nonchalance way just went 'ok' , he followed this up with ' it's your life and I believe you know what is best for you and your happiness' then walked straight out the door. I was taken completely aback, I didn't really know what to think, usually teenage rebellion on the TV is so much simpler . To make a long story short it took me a further year to actually admit to myself that the cello was not my instrument and to really consider if i wanted to play music at all.

Luckily, after quitting the cello my music collage allowed me to pick up ten different instruments at once and out of those instruments the bass guitar was the one I kinda knew I wanted to play, and it really showed. Now 3-4 years on in bass playing career, my relationship with music has completely changed, It has goes from something I was solidly considering giving up to something I can't really imagine being without....Which is nice.

Anyhoo, I set up this account because it's always great to get the perspective of people who know what they're talking about, plus, with each year that passes i am getting more and more obsessed with gear, my pedalboard is even starting to give some guitarists an inferiority complex (win).

Apologies for the spelling/grammar mistakes in advance.

See you around,

Luli