Why become a member? ×

First gig in a couple of weeks...

Fisheth

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427816197' post='2734585']
Been asked many times on here naturally but the basics seems to be keep it simple, relax, prepare but don't tie yourself up with it and mostly have a great time and look forward the second one.
[/quote]

Yeah, thought it would have been.

Should have specified in the OP that it was more about the electricity used and keeping you and your fellow bandmates safe if somewhere has potentially dangerous/unclean electricity. Maybe it's something slightly paranoid, but I've heard stories about people getting electrocuted onstage and I want to try and prevent that from happening.

As soon as you think " wow, this is going well, haven't made any mistakes yet..." You do. Well I do anyway, even after 30 years playing. So I tend not to think at all now.
If anyone in the band makes a howler, no one really notices unless its the drums going badly out of time, but if a mistake does occur, just get back in time with the drummer and carry on regardless, you'll be fine!!!

Here is one, sure to be ignored.
Get the band to rehearse "the gig".
Not the songs, the GIG !

Set up, face outwards with monitor levels for vocals, not PA stacks facing the band, correct backline volumes, set lists.
Sit down 5 Minutes, get up play the first set.
Sit down have drink, get back up and play the second set.

All in gig fashion, noting change overs, problems, songs that clash and make notes and change it or sort it before you get to the gig.
After this, you have already done the first gig, a few times if you have time and it is just the same routine but with a crowd.

All major bands have real gig scenario rehearsals, for a very good reason, so anything that can go wrong is worked out and worked around.

Things like getting monitoring and stage levels right can be the end all of the first gig.
Set up, line up like a gig and play the sets in order.

The best advice I can give from 30+ years of gigging.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1427883818' post='2735345']
Here is one, sure to be ignored.
Get the band to rehearse "the gig".
Not the songs, the GIG !

Set up, face outwards with monitor levels for vocals, not PA stacks facing the band, correct backline volumes, set lists.
Sit down 5 Minutes, get up play the first set.
Sit down have drink, get back up and play the second set.

All in gig fashion, noting change overs, problems, songs that clash and make notes and change it or sort it before you get to the gig.
After this, you have already done the first gig, a few times if you have time and it is just the same routine but with a crowd.

All major bands have real gig scenario rehearsals, for a very good reason, so anything that can go wrong is worked out and worked around.

Things like getting monitoring and stage levels right can be the end all of the first gig.
Set up, line up like a gig and play the sets in order.

The best advice I can give from 30+ years of gigging.
[/quote]

I agree with this.
Good advice!

Simple thing I try to remember is that I can't control everything, so concentrate on where I can make a difference.
By that I mean allowing time to find the venue, parking, setting up, and making sure that my gear/leads/mic etc is all working properly. (I've spent far too many sound checks watching other band members searching for the elusive 'dodgy lead' somewhere all the chain putting a spanner in the works.)
At least then when the gig starts, you know all your stuff ain't gonna let you down.
In short, there are enough things beyond your control at a gig (audience, venue, other band members etc) but at least your end of things is watertight!
Oh yes, and relax and enjoy the gig! Not everyone gets to do it, so just chill and go with it! Good luck.

What everyone else has said is pretty good advice.

Look, you'll make mistakes. We all do. Just don't look like it's the end of the world when the mistake comes. Just blow the mistake off. Look like you're having the time of your life playing and the people listening won't really be looking for, or noticing, your mistakes. If you look like you're having fun, the people listening tend to pick up on it and want to have fun as well.

Have fun!

+1 on the mistakes thing. You *will* make mistakes - maybe quite a few but in general nobody will notice or care that much! The audience will notice if you look stressed so smile (it has a magical affect on people). If you get stressed then just pull it all back to roots and fifths, or just roots if you have to - you'll still be adding texture and value to the track. Look at your band mates and smile (again) at them, and try to enjoy it.

If you're singing backing vocals but finding it hard to cope with just concentrate on the playing not singing.

Try not to speed up too much, try to play slower than you think is correct (and you'll probably *still* be playing too quickly because we all do).

Finally, and most importantly, *always* remember that the bassist is naturally the coolest member of the band and whatever you do, people will assume you're the best thing since sliced bread.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427817567' post='2734618']Should have specified in the OP that it was more about the electricity used and keeping you and your fellow bandmates safe if somewhere has potentially dangerous/unclean electricity. Maybe it's something slightly paranoid, but I've heard stories about people getting electrocuted onstage and I want to try and prevent that from happening.
[/quote]

Read a lot of first gig threads but never one where electricity was the main concern! don't worry about it, at most modern venues it really won't be an issue, maybe all wear rubber soled shoes if you're overly concerned :o

Most people are concerned with a million other details, take spares of anything you can, try and relax and you'll have a great time, it'll be an electrifying experience B)

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427817567' post='2734618']

Should have specified in the OP that it was more about the electricity used and keeping you and your fellow bandmates safe if somewhere has potentially dangerous/unclean electricity. Maybe it's something slightly paranoid, but I've heard stories about people getting electrocuted onstage and I want to try and prevent that from happening.
[/quote]

I find one of these comes in handy

[attachment=188211:Divers suit.JPG]

I was sick before my first gig & hit the wrong button to come out of my silent tuner so my first note sounded like a massive fart..i can laugh about it now tho :blink:

We would do 'dress rehearsals' without stops, so regardless of issues you just keep playing..I think that really helps to put you in a gig frame of mind.

[quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I've watched Almost Famous too ;)

From someone who's final gig looks ominously close, enjoy the moment and Iet me wish you joy. You've had some good advice here, which I don't need to repeat. Be well prepared: will there be a set list? Don't play too loud. And when it all goes well in the first half don't get too confident and have too much to drink in the interval. The second half could be a tiger trap.

Lucky fella!

I ended up doing a "first gig" of sorts this weekend - covering for my singer and guitarist for a 2 x 45mins busy pub gig, instead of playing bass.

I was pretty tense about the whole thing beforehand but actually reading thru the advice on this very thread ( including my own ) really helped me chill out and just enjoy it for what it was.

The result? Better than I ever hoped. It was packed, lot of people I knew turned up and it well down really well. I also got to play with the bassist who normally deps for me, and glad to say he was cool and good player.

For all the stress beforehand it ended up being personally really fulfilling and a bit of a milestone for me as a player.

All good fun innit?

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1428333939' post='2740318']
I ended up doing a "first gig" of sorts this weekend - covering for my singer and guitarist for a 2 x 45mins busy pub gig, instead of playing bass.

I was pretty tense about the whole thing beforehand but actually reading thru the advice on this very thread ( including my own ) really helped me chill out and just enjoy it for what it was.

The result? Better than I ever hoped. It was packed, lot of people I knew turned up and it well down really well. I also got to play with the bassist who normally deps for me, and glad to say he was cool and good player.

For all the stress beforehand it ended up being personally really fulfilling and a bit of a milestone for me as a player.

All good fun innit?
[/quote]

Yes, and remember that term,[i] "fun"[/i] and means more than most of us realize and it's easy to forget that's what it's all about.

Nice job, a lot of guys really struggle with live performance and get [i]freaked out[/i] even at the pub/bar level.

Blue

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427817567' post='2734618']

[/quote]

Buy yourself an RCD adapter or two and make sure everything goes through them. They are a couple of quid from your local DIY store :)