Why become a member? ×

Modding signature bass

timmo

Could depend on the quality of the signature bass. Take the new Geddy Lee MIA Jazz - bet that's a lot closer in feel, sound & quality to the original than the MIM version for example.

I know my CIJ Geddy had budget tuners & capacitor, so they were changed to improve the instrument. Also, the original pickups were a little too polite to nail Geddy's sound, so they went too.

I've probably got an instrument now that's closer to the original than the stock bass as it came, but let's face it, you're not going to get "the same bass".

I doubt I have devalued my bass, but unlikely that much monetary value has been added either!!

Ahh, thanks. I realise you aren`t going to get the bass that Geddy would use, unless you have loads of cash, but i would have thought that the bass would be as close as possible. Seems pointless having a signature, if it doesn`t match the sound.

Got my Geddy Lee sig because it looked and sounded great. Sunburst. Massive Rush fan, put off thinking of getting one because I didn't want to appear to be a fanboy div.
Mainly love the Jazz sound and neck, no changes here, maybe the tuners.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427829802' post='2734854']
Why do people buy signature basses and change the bridge and pickups? I thought the whole point was you got the same bass. Does it devalue it if you change bits?
[/quote]

You're assuming that people buy a signature bass because they want to sound exactly like the artist or have an exact replica of their instrument.

Loads of people buy signatures just the same as they buy non-signature models. They're just a bass with a spec they like.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1427849671' post='2735103']
Not everyone who plays a signature bass does so because of the name on the headstock.
[/quote]
[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1427920968' post='2735985']
Got my Geddy Lee sig because it looked and sounded great. Mainly love the Jazz sound and neck...
[/quote]

Exactly the same here. The "original" CIJ Geddies mostly* have awesome build quality and exceptional playability. Most people seem to be attracted to them because of the neck dimensions. Other than the neck they are nothing unusual - I'm not convinced that the Badass II bridge really adds much to the tone or sustain, but YMMV.

I replaced the stock pickups in mine with EMGs (plus a battery cavity routed out of the back). OK, it is no longer "standard" but then again there are so many of these basses about that they are hardly likely to appreciate much in value. Not that I bought it for that reason anyway - I just like they way they play... I am highly unlikely to ever sell or trade this bass as it suits me so well, but if I did I'm not sure that my modifications would impact too much on the resale value. In fact, for people who like EMG pickups, it might even make it more desirable... :)

*Caveat - [i][b]for a Fender[/b][/i]!