Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger help

Mudpup

Getting a new amp when my Shuttle 9.2 sells and was looking for a bit of advice.

Loving my GK MBFusion and probably gonna get another GK of some sort. I like the forward gritty sparkle they have.

So, what do I get? I need about 500watts+.

RB700
MB500
MB800

Has anyone compared the above? Can you explain the sonic differences? Does the RB700 sound the same as the MB series?

I had one of the MB combos and I've had several 700RB, a 1001RB and an 800RB.

I couldn't get the GK growl from the MB but it may well have been due to the speakers. I also couldn't get it from the 1001 as I wasn't able to turn it up enough at a gig to get it. My favourite by a mile was the 700RB II

RB range sounds so much better. They've got the heft and shove that GK are famous for. The MB's sound great, but when you start getting loud you start to notice a lack of depth of tone that, in my opinion, you get with nearly all class D heads. You get so much more harmonic vibrancy with the RB heads.

My money would go on a 700 any day. 1001 is very powerful indeed and unless you're playing large venues without any PA support I'd save my money and go for the 700.

Ive owned an RB400, an RB700 and an MB500 in the past and the one I'd really like to own again would be the 700.

Edited by Truckstop

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion the mb800 has just as much growl as the 1001rb, owned and gigged with both. But it's light weight package and portability is amazing. The fusion mb range has a little more harmonic excitement, but I'm happy with the GIVE circuitry in the standard mb range. Plus I had a high pitched hum issue with my MB500 fusion, the valves add tone, but not enough to my ear to balance my worry of ongoing running and replacement issues- which are very few and far between.