Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427961088' post='2736240']
The definition of genius in composition is the extent to which you can disguise that which you have stolen.
[/quote]
Ahem......👀. Of course there's none of that going on around here. Honestly.

This picture is going to be bloody hard. My orchestra are all on spring break. I may have to rely on the garageband philharmonic.

The Disney film 'Fantasia' has, amongst other pieces, a work called 'Night on Bald Mountain', by Stokowski. This is an adaptation of a well-known piece, often played in concerts, accredited to Rimsky-Korsakov, who, in turn, 'borrowed' it from the 'original' composer, Mussorgsky. It is thought that at least some of [i]his [/i]work was inspired by themes from Liszt.
Go ahead, Lenny, do as the 'greats' did (and, sometimes, the not-so-great..!). Take whatever the muses throw at you and bat it back, hard. :i-m_so_happy:

The original composer might just about have recognised the first couple of bars - the rest would probably cause him to call Alexander 2's security police!
Or mebbe, because there's no orchestra involved, he'd have been happy!
And funnily enough, my mum, who taught me piano as a young 'un, had a piano teacher who was taught by Liszt himself... So I can call it payback.
Though Liszt would probably have called the police as well!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1427974264' post='2736498']
It seems that you've been playing Brahms and Liszt; I may be wrong. :mellow:
[/quote]

I was thinking of something more baroque, but it'll probably sound like [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Scheidt"]Scheidt[/url].

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427974933' post='2736512']
I was thinking of something more baroque, but it'll probably sound like [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Scheidt"]Scheidt[/url].
[/quote]

Ah, visceral music. I haven't the stomach for it these days. :blush:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1427978959' post='2736614']
It's bound to sound stomach-churningly good, as I'll be using [url="http://schiit.com/"]THESE[/url] to power the headphones...
[/quote]

:lol: At least they're able to see the funny side. Looks like nice gear too.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1427959361' post='2736212']
Just out of interest, is it within the rules to take a relatively well-known classical piece (played badly by me!) and muse on it?

[/quote]
I think you are ok with the classical piece , but Muse , surely not , there must be a plug-in for that ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1427961025' post='2736239']
Technically fine, providing you don't sample any sections of the original piece (ie. lift them wholesale from the original recording).
[/quote]

Although you might have to sample 'James Last' does Bach,
I am not sure Bach and many of his old wig wearing drinking pals did any original recordings.....lol..
Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville and his bags of soot was after their time.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1428006002' post='2737057']...
Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville and his bags of soot was after their time.
[/quote]

... and he, too, nicked the idea... ;)

[quote]...
While proofreading some engravings for a physics textbook he came across drawings of auditory anatomy. He sought to mimic the working in a mechanical device, substituting an elastic membrane for the tympanum, a series of levers for the ossicle, which moved a stylus he proposed would press on a paper, wood or glass surface covered in lampblack.
...[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Andrej' timestamp='1428003786' post='2737027']
Newbie here.

I find this challenge to be really interesting. I might take some time to play something. I hope there's room for me in here!
[/quote]

There's room a'plenty; welcome aboard. Don't mind Lenny, he's mostly harmless. Don't get him started on the history of New Orleans jazz, though, nor Led Zep's greatest hits. Other than that, you'll be fine. Jump in, the water's lovely..! B)

([i]Oh, and contact Skol303 directly for the initiation ceremony. avoid white clothing, but tuba and ear-rings will be provided. Many forms of payment are acceptable.[/i] :mellow: )

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1428008421' post='2737085']
Indeed, and then put it into action.
(I am sure Lenny can accompany this with some of his Muse)...
[/quote]

Don't go putting out challenges of that sort; he'll be back in a flash with a cat's chorus to this (Muse..? Mews..? OK, coat got...).

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks for the replies. I 'm pretty sure you know already, but that's definitely not me in my avatar pic.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428007174' post='2737074']
There's room a'plenty; welcome aboard. Don't mind Lenny, he's mostly harmless. Don't get him started on the history of New Orleans jazz, though, nor Led Zep's greatest hits. Other than that, you'll be fine. Jump in, the water's lovely..! B)

([i]Oh, and contact Skol303 directly for the initiation ceremony. avoid white clothing, but tuba and ear-rings will be provided. Many forms of payment are acceptable.[/i] :mellow: )
[/quote]

Initiation ceremony? What am I missing?

I read "butt tuba and ear-rings will be provided". I must admit I was a little frightened. :sorry:

[quote name='Andrej' timestamp='1428009005' post='2737092']
Thanks for the replies. I 'm pretty sure you know already, but that's definitely not me in my avatar pic.

Initiation ceremony? What am I missing?

I read "butt tuba and ear-rings will be provided". I must admit I was a little frightened. :sorry:
[/quote]

Hmm... Now you come to mention it, that might be a good idea. I'll see what range of sizes are available. Not sure who to address for trying 'em out, though. We'll keep you informed... :sleep:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1428006002' post='2737057']
I am not sure Bach and many of his old wig wearing drinking pals did any original recordings.....
[/quote]

Good point :D I should rephrase it to say don't go sampling from any commercial recordings - Halle Orchestra's Greatest Hits, etc.

Performing any out of copyright piece yourself is all fair game.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1428010057' post='2737118']
Performing any out of copyright piece yourself is all fair game.
[/quote]

Xmas time is ripe for that - All those old Xmas tunes reworked for adverts.
Recorded from true Orchestral through to EDM.