Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]April’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner [b]Lord Sausage[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: http://www.freesound.org/

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 23rd April. [/b][/size][/color]

[i]Chaaaarrrge!![/i]

An interesting subject once again. If it helps anyone, there's a bit of background info here...

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/marshal-ney-supporting-the-rear-guard-during-the-retreat-206465"]BBC - Your Paintings ...[/url]

Hmm... Now let's just see where we are... ([i]strokes chin, scratches forehead, frowning with concentration[/i]...)

:blush: Indeed; sorry ([i]Cough, splutter, wheeze[/i]...). I'll get cracking then, shall I..? ([i]Cough, splutter, wheeze[/i]...) Right away... ([i]Cough, splutter, wheeze[/i]...) Nearly ready... ([i]Cough, splutter, THUD[/i]...)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1427899432' post='2735635']...
Come on Dad , we are still waiting ;)
[/quote]

Bloomin' slave-drivers, you lot..! :( Here you are then; sorry for the delay. :blush:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/there-are-no-winners"]There are no winners ...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427901400' post='2735674']
Woo-hoo! Big orchestral thing coming your way!! Boom!
[/quote]
ha ha, thought your might like it!

i think mine might be semi orchestral (keyboard, midi and samples of course, not a real one) and maybe a bit of lead guitar!

I can guarantee a few big chords......they'll be about 6 foot!

It's got a tune! Though it is kind of hidden.
And I may be tempted to add a "Please Rise For Jimi" synth over the top...
Or perhaps a recreation of the horrific scene heard from a public toilet in Chamonix 5 days after my climbing partner had taken 8 Arete tablets.
I understand there's still bio-hazard warnings round that unfortunate convenience!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1427905966' post='2735756']
As it's about pictures and Russians and war, I've made a kind of left-field start...
It's as good an excuse as any for a bit of avant-"jazz" (and I us the term very loosely) as I know Douglas is such a fan!
:yarr: :gas: :P
[/quote]

Strictly speaking this is about the French, since they're the guys in retreat and being massacred by the Russian army. Better get your accordion polished up then. ;)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1427921890' post='2736000']
Strictly speaking this is about the French...
[/quote]

...but then again, if the pic inspires Lenny to go crazy with a balalaika, it's legit, I suppose. Between that, and the accordion... Scylla and Charybdis, perhaps..? :blink:

Just a quick word, although we've been here before...
I rendered from Reaper to a WAV file, then uploaded that WAV to Soundcloud. I was not convinced by the quality (yes, even my cloth ears were disappointed...), so I removed the file and rendered again, but this time to an MPS, 192 kb/s and uploaded once more to Soundcloud. I'm happy now that one can hear there a good enough likeness of the original in Reaper (OK, maybe not [i]absolutely [/i]perfect, but for my old ears, it's as good as...).
Just sayin'; you may find differently, of course. If there's anything better still, I'm all ears... ;)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1427959361' post='2736212']
Just out of interest, is it within the rules to take a relatively well-known classical piece (played badly by me!) and muse on it?
Hope so as that's what I've done so far!
And Napoleon isn't involved, it's Russian all the way - though 60 odd years later...
[/quote]

Technically fine, providing you don't sample any sections of the original piece (ie. lift them wholesale from the original recording).

It's not [i]strictly[/i] in the spirit of these challenges - the intention being to write new compositions of our own - but heh, go for it ;)