Why become a member? ×

Searching for Labella Low Tension flats

Emanew

Hi fellow Groovers !

I am looking for low tension flatwounds strings.
I heard about Labella strings. They are known for strong gauges BUT...
There are 2 Labella sets having extra-light gauge.

1- A quite new set called LOW TENSION FLEXIBLE FLATS, 042 - 056 - 070 - 100

2 - The classic DEEP TALKIN’ BASS, Flatwounds – EXTRA LIGHT 760FX, 039 - 056 - 077 - 096

The LOW TENSION has a bigger G and E gauge string than the DEEP TALKING extra light 760FX, but a weaker A string. Why did Labella create a LOW TENSION set stronger than the already existing "classic" DEEP TALKING extra light ?
Is it a matter of materials ? fashion ? :)

I wish someone could give me feedback about these 2 sets.

Thanks by advance :)

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427964213' post='2736284']
Don't confuse string thickness with tension. They are not the same thing.

The material and the construction method are far more important than the thickness.
[/quote]

+1 The core and wrap (or wraps) can mean an .090 E can be stiffer than a .110 E - classic example a stiff flatwound in stainless steel, vs. a tapewound made of nylon.

Thanks fellows for posting. I am aware that tension and thickness are 2 differents points. I use nylon flatwounds, differents roundwounds and steel flatwounds on my basses :)

My question is for these 2 Labella sets, precisely. They are BOTH Stainless steel, (check upper).
What material do they use to have these FLEXIBLE FLATS ? Is it different with the DEEP TALKING extra light ?
That´s why i wish i could have explanations :)

Well, the La Bella site says this of the Low Tension Flats:

[i]Using the same techniques that have made the Deep Talkin’ Bass Stainless Steel Flat Wounds the best-selling flat wound set on the market, [b]La Bella has adjusted the construction to create a lighter and more flexible alternative[/b] to our classic heavier flats. The Light Tension Flexible Flats deliver the same classic sound but without the floppy-string effect associated with other light tension flat wound strings. These hand-wound and hand-polished strings are equipped with [b]round cores for flexibility, and narrower ribbon wire[/b] to achieve that unrivaled smooth feeling uniquely characteristic to La Bella Strings.[/i]

So my guess it's mainly down to a narrower core.

Thanks for having taken time to check Walbassist :)
You must be right for the narrower core.

It means that if i put the Deep Talking Extra-light, i will have this "floppy-string effect"... I never used extra-light flatwounds before and i didn't see these LOW TENSION FLEXIBLE strings in a shop yet, so i ask others bassists.

I wish they could write tension for each string on La Bella'site. On back side of the strings box, it is sometines written : for example d'Add... strings, here the verso

I am looking for these light strings because my late 80s American Vintage 62 Jazz Bass's very very thin neck can NOT stand big flatwounds. Thanks for helping to care of "Her" :D

Edited by Emanew