Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Six 10 (610) owners/reviews/opinions?

smeet

Hi all, this is my first post, please be gentle...

I am considering buying a (slightly) used Retro Six 10, which is too far from me to try out.
I'm in the US, so Barefaced cabinets are very rare. The 610 barely exists over here. From a cursory search it looks like there aren't even that many in the UK?

I'm hoping that there are a few owners that could weigh in and help me. Or even if you've heard one. Or heard of one.

Lately I've been in a ridiculous cabinet-buying frenzy, looking for THAT SOUND. Here's what I have right now:
Bergantino NV610
Baer ML212
fEARful 15/6/12 and 12/6/1 (home-built)
Ampeg 212av

My quest is for something that is easy to carry, can do a crushing ROCK sound, as well as being able to do more modern jazz/fusion/dance/whatever, can sound huge like an 810, but still articulate and pleasing in a lower volume setting. So far, the Baer gets the closest to filling these requirements. The NV610 is amazing, but it's heavy, and it's very mid-focused. A wonderful vintage rock sound, but more highs and (a bit) more lows would be nice, while retaining those beautiful mids.

So... Given the high cost (even used) over here, will the Retro Six 10 do what I'm looking for? Will it really give me something that I don't already have covered? Is it worth twice the cost of a used NV610?

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by smeet

Hmmm. Well I guess I'm passing on the Retro. I couldn't leave the seller hanging. It feels too risky to put that much money into something I can't try or even hear demos of. Not getting any user feedback makes it that much scarier. Where are the enthusiastic testimonials? Are there just no owners out there online? Or are people not so happy with theirs?

I think that's a good idea. Barefaced seem to divide opinion on here.
A lot of people love them, but then there are those who don't aswel.
So to splash that cash on something you haven't tried, which is known to divide opinion is a bit of a risk!
I have never played through a Retro Six 10 so can't comment on that.
Ive owned a Big Twin T though, and that was immense. IMO perfect for heavy rock.

[quote name='smeet' timestamp='1427925845' post='2736068']
Hi all, this is my first post, please be gentle...

I am considering buying a (slightly) used Retro Six 10, which is too far from me to try out.
I'm in the US, so Barefaced cabinets are very rare. The 610 barely exists over here. From a cursory search it looks like there aren't even that many in the UK?

I'm hoping that there are a few owners that could weigh in and help me. Or even if you've heard one. Or heard of one.

Lately I've been in a ridiculous cabinet-buying frenzy, looking for THAT SOUND. Here's what I have right now:
Bergantino NV610
Baer ML212
fEARful 15/6/12 and 12/6/1 (home-built)
Ampeg 212av

.......... Will it really give me something that I don't already have covered? [b] Is it worth twice the cost of a used NV610[/b]?

[/quote]

I'd 'guess' this is the comment that finished off any discussion..??
Berg cabs are revered over here pretty much by all. IMO.

But not many people here have a need for a 610..as that is too much cab for the gigs they do too often...?

Interesting. From what I have read on talkbass, I never realized there was much disagreement about barefaced. I just figured they were expensive to ship to the US, and that everyone loved them on the other side of the pond.

Well, now I know. For arguments about fEARfuls, I'll go to talkbass. For barefaced, it's basschat. :)

Edited by smeet

I've been comparing my Retro Six10 to my Berg NV610 today, and at the moment the Barefaced wins on lows and smoothness in the mids but when I play aggressively the Berg breaks up and sings while the Barefaced just gets louder. I'm far from finished testing but at the moment, they both sound amazing! The Berg sounds more 'Fridge like' but only when driven hard. The Barefaced is more civilized in comparison but can still 'rock hard' in a vintage sort of way.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1428099011' post='2738169']I've been comparing my Retro Six10 to my Berg NV610 today, and at the moment the Barefaced wins on lows and smoothness in the mids but when I play aggressively the Berg breaks up and sings while the Barefaced just gets louder. I'm far from finished testing but at the moment, they both sound amazing! The Berg sounds more 'Fridge like' but only when driven hard. The Barefaced is more civilized in comparison but can still 'rock hard' in a vintage sort of way.[/quote]

With a good amount of power pushing it I've got the Two10 to start breaking up and growling and then overdriving in a really awesome way. I've never managed to push the Six10 loud enough to get the same effect - it will do it though, it'll just be [b]VERY VERY VERY LOUD[/b]!

Bob, just had a thought - you might want to try blocking the hybrid resonator's port on the bottom of the cab. A rolled up t-shirt will do the job (that's what I used in testing), just make sure it's a tight fit! This will reduce the output in the lows and also cause the cab to overdrive sooner. You may find that this is the best way to use the cab for all your indoor gigs if you want that extra growl - then outdoors take advantage of the extra output and power handling from the hybrid resonator.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428400651' post='2740839']
Bob, just had a thought - you might want to try blocking the hybrid resonator's port on the bottom of the cab. A rolled up t-shirt will do the job (that's what I used in testing), just make sure it's a tight fit! This will reduce the output in the lows and also cause the cab to overdrive sooner. You may find that this is the best way to use the cab for all your indoor gigs if you want that extra growl - then outdoors take advantage of the extra output and power handling from the hybrid resonator.
[/quote]

Dumb question, what actually is a "hybrid resonator"? It looks like a port, so what makes it different to a port?

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1428401239' post='2740848']
Dumb question, what actually is a "hybrid resonator"? It looks like a port, so what makes it different to a port?
[/quote]

Not a dumb question - smart question!

A port has one tuning frequency and the effect is very much like moving the lowest slider on a 12 band graphic EQ up by a fair few dB.

The hybrid resonator has two tuning frequencies, one lower than a typical port tuning frequency, one higher. Its effect is more like turning up the bass knob on a 3 band EQ by about two dB.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1428401239' post='2740848']
[/quote]

Not a dumb question. A very interesting question. :)

Ah... almost simultaneous posting with Alex. It would seem I'm a member of the same mind-hive. :blink:

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428400651' post='2740839']
[/quote][quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428400651' post='2740839']
[/quote]
I don't have a problem with the RS10, I love it, I was just trying to describe the initial differences I heard. It's interesting what you say about the hybrid resonator and the T shirt, perhaps an 'adjustable port' might give owners some degree of flexibility in fine tuning the lows, great for improving boomy stages.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1428427175' post='2741186']I don't have a problem with the RS10, I love it, I was just trying to describe the initial differences I heard. It's interesting what you say about the hybrid resonator and the T shirt, perhaps an 'adjustable port' might give owners some degree of flexibility in fine tuning the lows, great for improving boomy stages.[/quote]

Great! The T-shirt thing sounds a bit ghetto but it works really well for blocking a big round port - and you can't see it because it's underneath the cab. A big ski sock works well too! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428434777' post='2741288']
Great! The T-shirt thing sounds a bit ghetto but it works really well for blocking a big round port - and you can't see it because it's underneath the cab. A big ski sock works well too! :)
[/quote]

It sounds as if you're talking yourself into supplying a tee-shirt with every cab (or maybe a ski sock..? :huh: ). Don't be surprised if customers start haggling over tee (or sock...) sizes..! :D

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1428670764' post='2743625']Would one of those port bunger-uppers that Trace used to supply work with one of these cabs? There must be a few of them around as you never see them being used in Trace cabs...[/quote]

It's a flared port so I don't think so.

Just to add to the OP's question - I don't have a 610, but I do have 2 of the 210 4 ohm cabs and am completely bowled over by them. I love the low B string sounds I get out of them and they are pretty light too. I wouldn't have wanted to drag a mini fridge sized cab around with me - no matter how light it was, hence avoiding the 610. I may buy aniother 210 at some point to replicate the 610 if I was ever doing that kind of gig regularly, but at the moment, one 210 is often enough for what I need!

Positive testimonial from me!