Why become a member? ×

heavyweight Jazz

Helderius

Hi,
I have a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V 2011. Body in ash and maple neck.
This bass is wonderful, but ... It weighs 5kg (11:03 lbs).
And my backs already begin to complain
Is this is a normal weight in this series?

Cheers
All the best

Edited by Helderius

I can't really speak for ones I've owned but the woods used can vary drastically in weight and occasionally a really heavy one is produced. I will say I have saw people on here talking about their basses which weighed a lot, had one myself that was just over the 6kg mark.

I would say if you're not already try a padded strap of sorts. Mono straps seem to get good reviews.

Cameron

Jazz basss have pretty large bodies and can be weighty...

My Wal weighs around 5KG and I've not had a problem. Then again I'm only playing 45 minute originals sets and 3 hour rehearsals once a week tops. I totally understand guys having issues with 3 x full pelt sets every weeeknd...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427967926' post='2736355']
My Wal weighs around 5KG and I've not had a problem.
[/quote]

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1427968046' post='2736359']
Strap height and type of straps you use will play a part as well.
[/quote]

I use a comfort strapp and play my bass very high which probably helps.

Playing a 5kg bass will definitely do damage to your body over time, and it may take years for that damage to surface. The stresses created by slinging a heavy bass over one shoulder and then twisting your upper body to play it are entirely assymetric, and damage not only the obvious places but also - through your body compensating for that - a load of other places too.

If you know that in advance, then it's possible to take preventive action to protect your neck, shoulders and lower back. Going to the gym to build up strength won't hurt, but it won't deal with the damage caused by that lack of symmetry.

It's like getting tinnitus from too much exposure to loud music. If you wait for that tinnitus to appear before you start using decent earplugs then - frankly - you've left it a bit late. The time to start doing something about tinnitus is [i][b]before [/b][/i]you suffer from it!

Yes, I agree no doubt. Some gym workout and a padded strap will certainly help.
For now it is best to play sitting :unsure:
I can not however help but be a little surprised because already own a Fender American Deluxe Precision V 2005 and the weight was substantially lower. We are talking about at least 1 kg.

Edited by Helderius

I've build up a bad habit of playing the bass when I first started and is hard for me to correct it now. I had my strap low back in the days and my back is not straight when playing the bass because of the weight. Now my wife keep saying my back looks horrible because is not straight.

I know for the long run i will do damage to my back ......

• 4 weeks later...

I find as long as the bass is balanced well weight isn`t too much of a problem - though I must admit I do now use my 2010 Precision (9.2lbs) for rehearsals and only bring out my trusty 78 Precision (10.6lbs) for gigs and recording. The 78 I don`t find a problem but as I have a lighter bass, why not use it, especially on 3 hour rehearsals.

It all depends on the person. For someone who's very fit, strong, and has perfect technique - 11 lbs or even more might be comfortable with a decent strap - but for somebody else almost the same, given how people vary - the same bass may feel uncomfortable after just 5 minutes. I'd recommend listening to your body.

If you're feeling discomfort - it's a warning sign. If you're standing for long time I'd say heavier basses should be avoided - even if they're comfortable. If you can find a lighter version of the bass, and sell or retire the heavy version to recording duties - Better safe than sorry.

Hope you find a solution that works for your needs, and doesn't cause problems for you later.
B)