Why become a member? ×

fairfeild barbershop?

danbowskill

still on the endless quest for that yummy overdive.
has anyone tried the barbershop? (old or new model) Iv'e read some nice reviews on the other bass forum.

I play a passive p pick style through an svt rig and still looking for that great driven sound of my head when played LOUD (cooking the tubes) ................unfotunatly i think i would be frogmarched outta the practice room if i did that :-D

iv'e tried heaps of effects (Vt,VMT,bb pre,Knightfall to name a few ) and with my price bracket £140 ish new.. or better SH.
im quite interested in the barber shop or catalinbreads sft V2 ......tech 21 vt was great but coloured my ampeg to much (curious how the sft will compair)

Edited by danbowskill

I've been meaning to try one. The clips I've heard haven't bowled me over but the TB hype train is strong with this one!

If you're after Ampeg in a pedal you should check out the VFE Ginger as well!

My favourite is currently the Bearfoot Blueberry, it can get bright enough with the tone control up, but it might not have enough bite to satisfy a pick player.

They've also just added SVT models to the current Line6 Pod HD line-up, that could be worth a look too.

the Ginger looks interesting.I would love the blueberry but it is a little more than i wish to spend (doubt i'd see many hit the for sale section)
as good as the scr and pod might be it's more of a simple 3/4 knob small pedal i want........i think ??
The type of music we play is Dropped C fast rock type (queens of the stone age esq)

There's a lot of info on [url="http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Overdrive-Pedals.html"]here[/url], including a soundclip of the (modded) spark boost. I have a Joyo American Sound and I think it's great. So does JohnK in his review (and sound clip) of it further down that same page. At around £21 w/ free p+p from [url="http://www.donnerdeal.com/american-sound-guitar-effect-pedal-joyo-jf-14-bypass-orange.html"]here[/url] it might be worth a try.

If you thought the VT Bass was overly coloured then you'll probably think the same about the Joyo.

I could get my v1 VT Bass to sound pretty transparent though, with the treble all the way down, and all other EQ knobs and character at noon. I measured the response as almost flat apart from the 5k speaker sim rolloff. I stupidly sold it to get a v2 with the speaker sim button, then again to get the DI version. Neither sounded as good as the v1 though, I'll have to pick up another some day!

I had the version 2 after selling v1 ..... Thought it was just me ,but your right there is a difference between the 2.
Would you say the sft is less coloured than vt? ( it will be used with my cl head)

Edited by danbowskill

If anything the SFT is more coloured, seeing as I could set the VT to sound transparent with the gain and treble turned down.

Do you really want uncoloured though? Do you want a transparent boost to push your Ampeg into distortion? Then maybe get a Phat Phuk B or Barbershop. Or a more coloured amp-like pedal that replicates what the SVT sounds like when cranked (VT Bass, SFT, Ginger, digital modelling)?

Also, I'd look at an Ampeg V4B so you can get that power tube overdrive at more sensible volumes (100W rather than 300W).

Edited by dannybuoy

Also, for pick playing, the finest dirt pedal I've tried is the Idiot Box Blower Box. I have it set to fairly low gain where it excels, whereas the youtube demos concentrate more on the harsher high gain sounds from it. I played some QOTSA with my Precision through it just now to confirm this! I have the new smaller one on order and expect to put my original up for sale once it comes in BTW.

sounds interesting, like you have just said iv'e only ever heard the flat out demo's (as a fuzz it sounds great ) so i never really gave it that much interest for what i like.
Lots of people comment about the lovley low end on it .....would you say it's in the Beta kind of relm in low gain settings?

Iv'e put a bid on a sft on ebay .. but tempted by yours now :-)
cheers

Edited by danbowskill

It's a lot more aggressive than the Beta, but since you can dial the gain right down to clean you can control that aggression. It has more low end on tap then any pedal I've ever tried too! It just has a lovely bite when paired with a pick, but still with a thump behind the note. Funnily enough I think it sounds crap when played fingerstyle though!

• 2 weeks later...

What about some of the Klon clones out there? Would that dual signal path vibe be useful as you could add gain to the clean signal to a progressively more dirty tone? My understanding is that with the drive all the way off your getting a clean signal and turning up the drive adds 'blends in the dirt while removing the clean' kinda thing?

Arc effects have Klone V2 which has a bass boost feature. I think it sounds interesting for bass - not a clean blend as such but a useful feature.