Why become a member? ×

Using arm weight to play the E and A strings

lobematt

Hi guys, I've not been playing my upright long and have been watching/reading quite a lot about using arm weight rather than squeezing your hand on the neck. I've been practising this quite a lot recently and I seem to be getting the hang of it on my D and G strings but when I move to my lower strings I can't apply the same pressure and keep my wrist/hand in shape without the bass wanting to fall over or using some pressure from my thumb.

Are there any exercises I can do to help with this? Also when you're playing on your E string should your thumb on the back of the neck now be over closer to the G string side of the neck?

Thanks!

Hey Matt!

Look for Chris Fitzgerald's videos on youtube. There's a fairly decent in depth video about LH technique (not saying his is the only right way of doing it). Geoff's lessons on youtube are great as well - he has couple of videos on left hand technique, and some potential pitfalls.

One exercise you can do is trying to play simple melodies without the thumb on the back of the neck. I'd also recommend playing crotchets with the bow at 40bpm, so you can get your technique under the microscope. I will say that my experience so far is that there's always a bit of effort required to play the E and A (especially down in 1st or 1/2 position), and that trying to squeeze less isn't a lightbulb moment, more a gradual refinement.You will both build strength over time, and use that strength more efficiently.

As ever though, much of these physical aspects of DB playing basically necessitate a good teacher to physically show you and that's what I'd recommend most of all. You might get there by trial and error, but a bit of guidance would go a long way! It's all related to posture and stance with the bass, which bit of your finger you stop the string with etc. and it's a tricky one to get right on your own. Firm foundations will make you soooo much happier and you can focus on the music :)

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1428059478' post='2737572']
Hey Matt!

Look for Chris Fitzgerald's videos on youtube. There's a fairly decent in depth video about LH technique (not saying his is the only right way of doing it). Geoff's lessons on youtube are great as well - he has couple of videos on left hand technique, and some potential pitfalls.

One exercise you can do is trying to play simple melodies without the thumb on the back of the neck. I'd also recommend playing crotchets with the bow at 40bpm, so you can get your technique under the microscope. I will say that my experience so far is that there's always a bit of effort required to play the E and A (especially down in 1st or 1/2 position), and that trying to squeeze less isn't a lightbulb moment, more a gradual refinement.You will both build strength over time, and use that strength more efficiently.

As ever though, much of these physical aspects of DB playing basically necessitate a good teacher to physically show you and that's what I'd recommend most of all. You might get there by trial and error, but a bit of guidance would go a long way! It's all related to posture and stance with the bass, which bit of your finger you stop the string with etc. and it's a tricky one to get right on your own. Firm foundations will make you soooo much happier and you can focus on the music :)
[/quote]

Thanks Hector. I have seen Chris's and Geoff's videos, they are helpful but I just wasn't sure if I was missing something! I've seen a teacher for a few lessons when I first got the bass and I'll be heading back for a few more in the summer. In the mean time I'll just keep practicing, thanks for the tips!