Why become a member? ×

£100! How can they do that?!

skidder652003

Behringer seems to have acquired that particular cachet enjoyed by Skoda cars back in the 80s. In my experience, quite undeserved - I've owned several bits of Behringer kit over the years, and none has ever let me down, whereas some big name gear I can remember...

Well now I've got it into my head to get one of these... 100W (loud enough) 22kg (light enough - for an all-valve amp) and £275 (cheap enough). Yes I know it's ostensibly a guitar amp, but that doesn't bother me... and it'll have Thomann's 3-year warranty...

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_1960_infinium.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...60_infinium.htm[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428315014' post='2740057']
Well now I've got it into my head to get one of these... 100W (loud enough) 22kg (light enough - for an all-valve amp) and £275 (cheap enough). Yes I know it's ostensibly a guitar amp, but that doesn't bother me... and it'll have Thomann's 3-year warranty...

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_1960_infinium.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...60_infinium.htm[/url]
[/quote]

These seem to have a bit of a following on Talkbass as a bass amp. It's pretty much a Marshall Superbass rip-off, so if that's the sound you're after it'll be fine. The hugeness of the box is offputting though - it's 69cm wide, so might look silly on some cabs.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1428315361' post='2740060']
These seem to have a bit of a following on Talkbass as a bass amp. It's pretty much a Marshall Superbass rip-off, so if that's the sound you're after it'll be fine. The hugeness of the box is offputting though - it's 69cm wide, so might look silly on some cabs.
[/quote]

My Schroeder cab is 61cm, so it would protrude 4cm each side... not a deal-breaker for me. :)
I might go for it, if only to test Bugera/Behringer's negative reliability reputation.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='PVTele' timestamp='1428272414' post='2739890']
Behringer seems to have acquired that particular cachet enjoyed by Skoda cars back in the 80s. In my experience, quite undeserved - I've owned several bits of Behringer kit over the years, and none has ever let me down, whereas some big name gear I can remember...
[/quote]
[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1428326012' post='2740206']
To be honest for a hundred quid, it's worth a punt.
[/quote]

Both pretty much my views on this.

I recall trying a little Behringer/Bugera 5W valve guitar amp at a music show a few years back, and when I didn't listen with my eyes it sounded significantly better than many of the similar designs from more prestigious names. The earliest Behr valve amps had some major design failings, and sometimes did burst into flames, but that was <10 years ago.

I ran a Behringer Europower powered mixer for 5 years in the covers band I was in and it never let us down once. I didn`t even keep it in a case and dropped it on a few occasions and still it worked. We bought it second hand and was still going when I buggered off.

I had a TC BG250, just out of warranty, that went up in a puff of smoke and I paid £350 for it if I remember. I may get one of the Ampeg clones or the BX4500 Ashdown clone. Just have to sneak it past the mrs if I get one :ph34r:

I have actually been looking to separate the amp out of my Ampeg BA500 combo to divide the weight up and was about to get an SVT style head box made to put it in (the amp unit is the same chassis as the 450h). At just £100 though it would actually be cheaper to buy one of these just for the box and throw the amp in the bin than it would be to make one!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428315014' post='2740057']

[/quote]

Woah, tempted. See how the 800 holds up tonight at rehearsal to see if that might be worth it.

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1430045539' post='2757336']
Managed to sell some unwanted things for a bit more than I was expecting so I decided to get myself one. Should be here early in the week. Will write up a small review when I get chance
[/quote]
Will definitely be looking out for that....

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1430164580' post='2758607']
Well as my Ashdown has died for the 2nd time in the past few years I thought I'd get something cheap for now. Comes with a three year warranty so if anything does happen at least it's covered
[/quote]

Worth a bash! Then again second hand Hartke LH500s are probably not much more if you want something that's tried and tested :)

Took delivery of the amp today.
Damn it's big and heavy.
Plugged it into my Peavey 1x15 using a Yamaha with Entwistle pups.
For obvious reasons I can't really have it loud but at home volumes the sound is pretty decent.
Very easy to dial in a usable tone. Plenty of punch if wanted.
A more in depth review once I get it into practice

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428316798' post='2740079']
My Schroeder cab is 61cm, so it would protrude 4cm each side... not a deal-breaker for me. :)
I might go for it, if only to test Bugera/Behringer's negative reliability reputation.
[/quote]

I used a Superbass with a 1212L for a while. Was a good combination.

I'll tell you how they can do it for £100 - "B[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]y exploiting the workers. [/font][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]By hanging on to outdat[size=3]ed imperialist [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]dogma[/size] [size=2]which perpetuates the socia[/size]l[size=1] and economic differences in our [/size][/font][/color][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"][size=1]society…"[/size][/color][/font]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I'll get my Doublet.[/color][/font][/size]