Why become a member? ×

£100! How can they do that?!

skidder652003

I have to jump in here to defend the accusations Behringer use slave labour.

Behringer run a company city in China, cleverly named 'Behringer City' where the staff get free medical care, have access to good quality living accommodation, libraries, public parks and schools for their children. They are paid a reasonable wage for Chinese standards and by all accounts live a nice life.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1430407056' post='2761121']
Would this do 800W into 2 Ohms? Or is that lateral thinking just bad thinking?
[/quote]
Its more than likely rated down to 4 ohms so It'll probably do a puff of smoke into 2 ohms. Unless there is output protection of sourts.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1430323750' post='2760326']
I used a Superbass with a 1212L for a while. Was a good combination.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430325673' post='2760351']
I'm not familiar with that amp. Is it another 'affordable' model? :)
[/quote]

Ultrabass perhaps?

I saw a band in a pub a couple of weeks back, using a little Ultrabass combo, and it sounded bloody great!

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430397011' post='2760991']

Behringer run a company city in China, cleverly named 'Behringer City' where the staff get free medical care, have access to good quality living accommodation, libraries, public parks and schools for their children. They are paid a reasonable wage for Chinese standards and by all accounts live a nice life.
[/quote]

Sounds great, I'm certain they can afford it though seeing as their offices in Germany probably equate to one room which houses a photocopier ;)

Si

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430408220' post='2761139']
I don't know if this is still the case, but I recall once upon a time reading that Behringer measures their wattages using PMPO, whereas other manufacturers use RMS. The differences can be huge.
[/quote]

From what I can gather from various bench tests that people have done on Behringer amps, if they're specified as RMS, they're proper RMS, and if they're not specified as RMS, they're about 33% higher than the RMS figure, so use 75% of the quoted figure for RMS power. This is different to PMPO, which appears to be a case of simply making a number up (see [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Speakers-/3702/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pmpo"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Speakers-/3702/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pmpo[/url]).

Took it to practice tonight and I'm very happy with the sound. I kept the main eq pretty much flat and didn't engage the 9 band eq section (I have an eq pedal on my board).
Everything sounded way more clear. I play in a hard rock band so I often find I can't hear my effects too much but with this amp I could.
For the money it's definitely worth it.

Also heavy as f*** so I need to work out more

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430397011' post='2760991']

[/quote]
Glad to hear that!

I hope whe all had in mind those slave labour issues mensioned before when buyin all those big brands everybody likes to show off.
These days most brands are made in PRC, or at least the it´s components are.
Behringer can come up with this prices because they don´t have a researsh department and because whe don´t see them spending tons of cash sponsoring superstars, and all kinds of marketing material that "brands" have to do to survive the competition.

Ah, the old "it's a company city, they live a nice life, everything's wonderful" line. Trotted out by us prosperous westerners to mollify our consciences so we can continue to buy cheap stuff, made by people with who we wouldn't trade places with in a thousand years. Try changing your job or disagreeing with the boss and you'll find "company city" ain't such a paradise after all.

The thing is it's difficult to escape it...

I recently bought a Mesa guitar stack and it has made in USA stamped all over the amp and cabs. Manufactured in California I understand by workers with medical packages and a living wage.

Nice and ethical? Well it would be if the branded amp bag and cab covers didn't have "Made in China" on the label... no doubt knocked out for a few pence by kids somewhere.

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1430950613' post='2766338']
Took it to practice tonight and I'm very happy with the sound.
[/quote]

That's good... Can you compare the basic tone with anything? Is it a 'rock' tone for example? Does it resemble the Ampeg amp it's a clone of?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430982781' post='2766443']

That's good... Can you compare the basic tone with anything? Is it a 'rock' tone for example? Does it resemble the Ampeg amp it's a clone of?
[/quote]

Define a rock tone? It sits rather nice in my hard rock band but it does have a very flexible eq system so I'm sure you could dial in a decent range of tones.

I don't think I've ever used the Ampeg version. I've used a few Ampegs in practice rooms and never really been a fan.
I wouldn't mind doing an AB test tho. If anyone has the ampeg version locally I'd be up for it

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430982781' post='2766443']
[/quote]

I bore witness to the rehearsal the amp was used in, and was really surprised actually! Fairly similar to the Ampeg SVT450H, but it seemed somehow clearer. Definitely the best amp I've ever heard for £100!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430985923' post='2766491']
I bore witness to the rehearsal the amp was used in, and was really surprised actually! Fairly similar to the Ampeg SVT450H, but it seemed somehow clearer. Definitely the best amp I've ever heard for £100!
[/quote]

Well that's done it! Thanks for that... It's quite heavy though! I wonder what the Ashdown clone is like... I suppose if it bursts into flames it'll prove it's an authentic copy... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430987029' post='2766505']
I wonder what the Ashdown clone is like... I suppose if it bursts into flames it'll prove it's an authentic copy... :D
[/quote]
Genuine LOL :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430987029' post='2766505']
Well that's done it! Thanks for that... It's quite heavy though! I wonder what the Ashdown clone is like... I suppose if it bursts into flames it'll prove it's an authentic copy... :D
[/quote]

You best be careful, youll rip your tights.... :P

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1430969885' post='2766384']
...... Try changing your job or disagreeing with the boss and you'll find "company city" ain't such a paradise after all.
[/quote]

I'd say that's true in a lot of places in the UK if you work in retail,catering,supermarkets

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1431030803' post='2767200']
I'd say that's true in a lot of places in the UK if you work in retail,catering,supermarkets...
[/quote]

...or any job, in fact.

Edited by discreet

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've just ordered 2 BVT4500H heads from Thomann! The amp in my Ampeg BA500 combo (which runs down to 2ohms with a 4ohm extension cab) died on me at a gig a couple of weeks ago. As I plan to use the combo cab (i.e. with the amp section removed) and the extension cab I already have, I needed an amp that could also run down to 2ohms.
Unfortunately, the Ampeg b5r head I then bought off here was killed in transit by myHermes so I had to look for an alternative within my very limited budget, remembered this thread and though - why not?
I now plan to run these 2 heads together by connecting the preamp out on one to the power amp in on the other andThen running one cab off each head.