Why become a member? ×

Should I be able to see daylight?

cupples

Hi everyone,
I've picked up a double bass after a few years playing fretless, and messing about with a Dean Pace EUB. I got what seems to be a reasonably nice Romanian (Reghin 3/4 size) bass locally, in good nick - it's going to need the action lowered by about 3 feet - string height for the E is nearly 25mm, down to about 15mm for the G, which I'm sure would be fine if I was going to use the bow all the time, but I plan to play it pizzicato mostly.
A couple of questions though -
- the E string is really, really dull. Open or otherwise. Barely there. I suspect the strings are a couple of decades old. The high action probably isn't helping here, but I'm assuming it's new string time?
- the fingerboard appears to be separating from the neck, just a fraction - I can see daylight through the gap - I'll put a picture up later. Is this a problem? It appears to be well attached at the top and bottom, and ok when checking with a straight edge.
- I'll be taking to a local luthier, Richard Glynn in Bangor, to get the action lowered at least, and get a bit of a once over, maybe new strings in the not too distant future. What should I expect to pay for getting the action taken down, assuming the nut and the bridge need a bit taken off?

All in all, I'm pretty excited! Once all gets sorted out, I'm planning to get some lessons from Rod Patterson in Belfast, any locals out there know of this chap?

Thanks
Andrew

Edited by cupples

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1428149591' post='2738494']
I think you've already made the correct decision by going to an established Luthier and going to see a recommended tutor!
[/quote]

This.

You'll be overjoyed at what a good luthier can achieve. He'll move the soundpost probably and all kinds of other stuff. Then you'll be able to think about strings.

Good to see another db-er from norn iron here. Not many about. :)

Edited by fatback

Thanks guys, I've been lurking for a while, looking at advice for DBs. Geoff Chalmers' videos are great, I'm just trying to get the stance and hand positions and actions heading the right direction, then hopefully get some fine tuning with Rod.

I've had a good look at the bass, and from what I can tell, it's solid wood, not ply, so I think it's worth spending a few quid on getting it set up, and we'll see if it's a keeper; and whether, more to the point, I can play the thing.

It's good to see a couple of other bassists nearby! Rod recommended another luthier who would have a go at DBs - Michael Barkley in Carrick - I know he'll work on guitars and electric basses, anybody used him for DBs?