Why become a member? ×

lightweight heads?

CamdenRob

Hi all, despite playing bass and being a bass gear fanatic for years I know absolutely nothing about guitar amps...

Does every one still use valve based heads etc? is their such a thing as a class d or similar for guitar, or would that just be crap?

Preferably something that sounds as close to those enormous mesa beasts everyone uses.

Any advice appreciated.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428135101' post='2738292']
Hi all, despite playing bass and being a bass gear fanatic for years I know absolutely nothing about guitar amps...

Does every one still use valve based heads etc? is their such a thing as a class d or similar for guitar, or would that just be crap?

Preferably something that sounds as close to those enormous mesa beasts everyone uses.

Any advice appreciated.
[/quote]

Can of worms bro, as you're surely expecting there will be a lot of differing opinions on this one...

Personally, it's class A valve all the way for me. But that's only because I'm used to that tone and find it very hard to fully like anything else. There are some great hybrids out there that will do more, giving you more options etc, and I wouldn't want to slag them off just because I like Class A gear, it's just that there is a difference that some mind/hear and some don't so you need to see what camp you're in.

There are some nice smaller heads out there these days, but what kind of budget are you in?

A good pal of mine has a smaller Mesa head and 12 inch cab, he may be up for selling it as it lives in his loft these days. It's a Mark 3 if I remember right?

Thanks for the feedback, I really am clueless.

Portability is more important than cost. I'm not looking right now, just trying to get my head around it all. Been thinking about playing guitar in a hardcore metal band on the side of my bass playing duties.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428147521' post='2738472']
Thanks for the feedback, I really am clueless.

Portability is more important than cost. I'm not looking right now, just trying to get my head around it all. Been thinking about playing guitar in a hardcore metal band on the side of my bass playing duties.
[/quote]

You know, what with pedals being so good these days and the fact that there are so many boutique pedal makers keeping everyone on their toes, Class A grear may not be a necessity for hardcore metal imo. And the digital simulation stuff may just suit that style too as everyone loves a Mesa tone so it gets copied a lot.. Wish I still had my Mesa V Twin pedal, damn that was good.

Good luck, worth a trip to some shops for a bit of thrashing....

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428154733' post='2738573']

You know, what with pedals being so good these days and the fact that there are so many boutique pedal makers keeping everyone on their toes, Class A grear may not be a necessity for hardcore metal imo. And the digital simulation stuff may just suit that style too as everyone loves a Mesa tone so it gets copied a lot.. Wish I still had my Mesa V Twin pedal, damn that was good.

Good luck, worth a trip to some shops for a bit of thrashing....
[/quote]

Ok cool, so I recon for portability maybe a lightweight Poweramp and cab set up...

I already have a strat / orange set up for blues noodling but its not really suitable for metal... And to be honest I'm not sure I really need th subtly of full valve for this project.

So my next question is which pedal / preamp will get close to emulatiing that massive mesa high gain distortion?

I really appreciate your input here, I'm basically a newbie with guitar gear.

Matrix Amplification have brought out a guitar amp head with a valve front end and Class D power stage. It is styled to look like, and intended to sound like, a Marshall. I'm waiting for them to bring out a Vox or Fender version.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428183215' post='2738979']

Ok cool, so I recon for portability maybe a lightweight Poweramp and cab set up...

I already have a strat / orange set up for blues noodling but its not really suitable for metal... And to be honest I'm not sure I really need th subtly of full valve for this project.

So my next question is which pedal / preamp will get close to emulatiing that massive mesa high gain distortion?

I really appreciate your input here, I'm basically a newbie with guitar gear.
[/quote]

So you actually have the right to say on Basschat 'but is it any good for metal?'!!

To be honest, high gain isn't within my vast experience, Years ago I used to have a Mesa Boogie V Twin pedal which I absolutely loved when I was feeling like a palm mute and thrash fest. I seem to remember the Zvex Box of Metal being well regarded and Mesa-ish but my best advice is to get down to Denmark St and play some pedals, side by side. There is a great guy in Regent Sounds called Liam (could be Leon, known him for years but I'm embarissingly bad with names), I reckon he'd pass on some good advice to you as he's very experienced,, friendly, likes a bit of noise and definitely knows his stuff.

Never been a better time to buy pedals, so many boutique companies out there using true bypass and high grade components, some like Jam Pedals are even using NOS chips like in the old classics, that's a bit too much in detail for the likes of me but Jam Pedals do sound amazing to my ears and the Big Chill is proudly on my guitar board.

Play as many as you can mate, your ears will know - if you play a 6 string Wal you must be pretty on it!

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428213625' post='2739104']
So you actually have the right to say on Basschat 'but is it any good for metal?'!!
[/quote]

Yes I was very tempted to start a new thread with that title.

I think I met that guy in regent sounds on Friday when I went in on a whim and came out with a 7 string schecter and a crazy idea about starting a metal band... In fact you could say this entire situation is his fault.

I'll get down there when I can and make some noise.

OK well after much deliberation and after an initial swing to class D power amp and pedals, I've gone ahead and ordered a mini rectifier and two matching mini rec 112 cabs (got a great price from GAK as a side note). so hopefully I now have the tone I want in a portable format :)

I'll pop some pics up when it all arrives.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428579250' post='2742566']
OK well after much deliberation and after an initial swing to class D power amp and pedals, I've gone ahead and ordered a mini rectifier and two matching mini rec 112 cabs (got a great price from GAK as a side note). so hopefully I now have the tone I want in a portable format :)

I'll pop some pics up when it all arrives.
[/quote]
Oooh, that looks a job very done Sir! :)