Why become a member? ×

greetings from the indian ocean

KARIKAL

Hi all

I have been playing for 20 years. Being in my mid-life crisis, I recently decided to get into a bit of theory. I even purchased some effects, which made my sound even worse than before.
You may at this stage have understood that I'm basically sort of a punk bassist bored of being such a zero from a technical point of view, and humbly willing to do its best (which is not much) to improve his ability as a bass player.
I'm French but moved to Madagascar a few month ago for professionnal reasons.. I now have more time to play and that is no good news for my neighborhood

When I first had a look at this forum, I honestly wondered whether some of you were genius or complete morons. But I recalled what my worshiped father told me about the superior genetic ability of the British people for irony and decided to sign in.... Still wondering though :ph34r:

I'm a fan of numerous English rock bands and notably New Model Army, which has been a reglurar support during all those long years of trying and failing... I also listen to celtic music and some classical when I'm really down.

I play a nash PB 63 which is ugly but so easy to play and sounds great.

Thank you for your attention. Any question?

Good evening, KARIKAL, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Much here to inform, amuse and share. There are more than a few here from outside of the UK (I'm in France, for instance...), so you are far from alone. You will find that some (most..?) here are, in turn, both genii [i]and [/i]morons, often at the same time. British humour is also sometimes over-sold, I'm afraid. We're good at complaining, though, so all is not lost. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum Karikal!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428185844' post='2739012']
Yeah, we're mostly complete morons. :crazy:
[/quote]

And the rest of us are complete cretins. :wacko:

It's a thin line between moron and cretin but many of us straddle it with panache and élan.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428266099' post='2739802']
It's a thin line between moron and cretin but many of us straddle it with panache and élan.
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428266305' post='2739807']
Don't forget aplomb. You gotta have aplomb.
[/quote]

It may be my lack of comfort in English or my paranoid nature but I wondered for seconds whether Mr Skankdelvar and Mr Discreet were thinking of repeating Edouard Plantagenet's exploit (straddling within panache, elan - and aplomb- the thin line bteween morons and cretins) :facepalm:

[quote name='KARIKAL' timestamp='1428297187' post='2739956']
It may be my lack of comfort in English or my paranoid nature but I wondered for seconds whether Mr Skankdelvar and Mr Discreet were thinking of repeating Edouard Plantagenet's exploit (straddling within panache, elan - and aplomb- the thin line bteween morons and cretins) :facepalm:
[/quote]

:) No need for paranoia, chum! We don't do Edouard Plantagenet anymore, not since we recently found the bones of Richard Plantagenet under a car park in Leicester.

In our usual loopy British way we laid on a full funeral procession and spent crillions on a memorial for him. Even rabid republicans were heard to say 'Oh, that's quite interesting...' and the leftiest of our TV channels gave him a week's worth of programme-time. Tearful members of the public queued to pay their tributes to a king who died 500 years ago.

We're odd like that and BC is a perfect example.

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1428325210' post='2740195']
Welcome to the forum.
If you're not getting on everyone's nerves..then you're not practising enough!
My old mate played for New Model Army...he is/ was the drummer.
[/quote]
Thank you alembic1989. I'm therefore officially the man who knows Robb Heaton's old mate (I'm assuming you are referring to him). Such a great musician.
[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428365388' post='2740671']
In our usual loopy British way we laid on a full funeral procession and spent crillions on a memorial for him. Even rabid republicans were heard to say 'Oh, that's quite interesting...' and the leftiest of our TV channels gave him a week's worth of programme-time. Tearful members of the public queued to pay their tributes to a king who died 500 years ago.

We're odd like that and BC is a perfect example.
[/quote] You should definitely pay more attention at storing your kings' corpses. We, for instance, have for centuries cautiously lined them up in the basilica of Saint-Denis. That proved to be much more convenient when in 1793 our own lefties and republicans found appropriate to desecrate them and throw the ashes in the pauper's grave...Thanks to that, we can nowadays save our little money (we don't have crillions in our budget) for more usefull things, such as ensuring our politicians a comfortable position whatever the results of the election.

[quote name='KARIKAL' timestamp='1428386138' post='2740695']
You should definitely pay more attention at storing your kings' corpses.
[/quote]

Indeed. I don't know [i]what[/i] we were thinking. I suppose it was just something we meant to get around to and never did. :(

[quote name='KARIKAL' timestamp='1428386138' post='2740695']
You should definitely pay more attention at storing your kings' corpses. ....
[/quote]

I got rather upset when I discovered the French bankrolled the campaign to kill off R III. But I won't hold it against you, was long ago. We English also like queues. We queue up for almost anything, even long dead kings.
Welcome, btw.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1428576658' post='2742538']
I got rather upset when I discovered the French bankrolled the campaign to kill off R III. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But I won't hold it against you, was long ago[/font][/color]
[/quote]Thank you so much. So kind of you.... :rolleyes: