Why become a member? ×

Soundpost adjustment for different strings?

Maude

Evening all.

I've been thinking about getting a professional set up on my Gedo lately, happy enough at the mo but would like to know I'm getting the best out of it, and I started thinking about the soundpost placement and the effect of different strings on it.
Is there a optimum place for it regardless of what strings are fitted, ie a best place for the instrument, or will an instrument with low tension strings sound best with the soundpost in a slightly different place to a bass with high tension strings?
I'd guess the post would need to be moved very slightly to a narrower area if low tension strings are used as there is less force being exerted on the post.
Just wondered if it's considered best to find 'your string' before getting it set up by a good luthier. . . . . . Or am I just overthinking things?

Oh and can anyone recommend a good bass luthier in the Devon/Cornwall area, I'm on the border.

Edited by Maude

I guess looked at the other way around, if you gave a good luthier a double bass with no sound post, bridge or strings, then asked them to set it up with a particular set of strings on, the luthier would set it up, string it, twang it and tweak it until it sounded just so. No doubt by the end of that process, the exact spot where the sound post ended up would be different according to which strings were on there. So It might well be good to have an idea of the strings you want to use before you get the beast set up.