Why become a member? ×

First "gig"

Tuco

@ Subbeh : we didn't 'empty' the pub as such , people left ( and yes, this was to my amusement) but it certainly didn't 'empty'

The person paying us didn't seem annoyed in the least because we didn't get paid..

We agreed last week to play 2 sets of our original material for free, to add a little spice to the pubs 'Beer festival' that they were holding that day.. purely out of the kindness of our hearts

as for artistic intergrity..................................???

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1428428292' post='2741195']
Yeh I make music, not money ;)
[/quote]

Ok, well that makes sense. I don't know of many gigs where they pay a band to annoy the LL and have the punters hate the band.

I think your on to something here. It might be a new niche market. :unsure:

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428434699' post='2741286']
Not to different from my band. We also make music. The only slight difference is, we also make money.

Blue
[/quote]
I sincerely wish you and your band all the very best for the future.

Fair enough, I just don't understand taking such glee in not being able to entertain.

I'm sure most of us have ended up at gigs not best suited to our bands but have been able to make it work to
some degree rather than taking some perverse pleasure in driving punters out of the door.

It's good that you were able to get a laugh out of it and hopefully the LL won't be put off hiring more bands who actually want to play
for her customers.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1428439411' post='2741336']
Fair enough, I just don't understand taking such glee in not being able to entertain.

I'm sure most of us have ended up at gigs not best suited to our bands but have been able to make it work to
some degree rather than taking some perverse pleasure in driving punters out of the door.

It's good that you were able to get a laugh out of it and hopefully the LL won't be put off hiring more bands who actually want to play
for her customers.
[/quote]

I'm not sure the OP understands that most of the folks that participate in this forum spend a lot of time trying to figure out the art of performing and how to entertain people.

Many participants also study band management which includes how to price a band and work with LLs.

Blue

Edited by blue

TBH, I can see both sides of this debate.

Once or twice over the years I've turned up to what was supposed to be an enjoyable gig for everyone, only to discover a bizarrely hostile landlord and a cast of early evening punters who look at you with murder in their eyes as you walk through the door.

Determined to entertain, you ignore the scowling, muttering local Cuthberts, set up like lightning and kick off with a good 'un. You finish the song to dead silence - then a single cry of 'You're sh*t, f*ck off'.

At half time the landlord slouches over. 'I don't know why I booked you. They hate bands here. I won't be able to pay you.' Then he goes off upstairs to watch TV.

A hasty band conference agrees you do the second set at twice light speed with everything set to twelve. Fifteen minutes later the singer - inspired by tradition - sits down on the edge of the stage and sneers 'Ever had the feeling you've been swindled?'.

It's worth it, just for the look on their neanderthal faces. The only problem now is getting out without being killed.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428442282' post='2741386']

Once or twice over the years I've turned up to what was supposed to be an enjoyable gig for everyone, only to discover a bizarrely hostile landlord and a cast of early evening punters who look at you with murder in their eyes as you walk through the door.

Determined to entertain, you ignore the scowling, muttering local Cuthberts, set up like lightning and kick off with a good 'un. You finish the song to dead silence - then a single cry of 'You're sh*t, f*ck off'.

At half time the landlord slouches over. 'I don't know why I booked you. They hate bands here. I won't be able to pay you.' Then he goes off upstairs to watch TV.

A hasty band conference agrees you do the second set at twice light speed with everything set to twelve. Fifteen minutes later the singer - inspired by tradition - sits down on the edge of the stage and sneers 'Ever had the feeling you've been swindled?'.

It's worth it, just for the look on their neanderthal faces. The only problem now is getting out without being killed.
[/quote]
Spot on , excpet we have no singer ;)

[/quote]

That's the way i read it.....swindled by the landlady

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1428442123' post='2741382']
Next new thread I make I swear i'll leave my sense of hunour at the door.
[/quote]

Humor doesn't always come across or transend through text.

I had to learn the hard way.

Blue

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1428442410' post='2741387']
Spot on , excpet we have no singer ;)
[/quote]

There's your problem, then. If you'd had a singer - possibly a plump middle-aged lady in a cerise camisole top - they'd have loved you.

Schoolboy error, that. Try advertising on bandmix or joinmyband before you go out again.

No need to thank me. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428443049' post='2741397']

There's your problem, then. If you'd had a singer - possibly a plump middle-aged lady in a cerise camisole top - they'd have loved you.

Schoolboy error, that. Try advertising on bandmix or joinmyband before you go out again.

No need to thank me. :)
[/quote]
Should have to spoke to you first man, damn! ;)

anorexic looking and middle aged is SO last year

I don't know why I booked you. They hate bands here[/quote]

Very relevant insight.

This has happened to my band as well. There are some LLs that will book a band on a whim when their pub is not known for live music and their clientele has no interest in live music.

Young bands new to booking should think hard about whether or not to take this type of booking. They can be very painful.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428443638' post='2741406']
Young bands new to booking should think hard about whether or not to take this type of booking. They can be very painful.
[/quote]

True, that. On the other hand, they're all good experience and part of the rich tapestry of life. They also provide a rich store of anecdotes with which to entertain one's children and their childrens' children:

'Tell us about when you lost your eye in the great punk wars of '79, Grandpa Skank!'

'Well there was just the four of us and 500 speed-crazed mohicans in kilts and leather jackets. So we played 'The Pina Colada Song' and all hell broke loose. Nobby was the first one to die, an assegai in his chest and choking on his own blood ([i]that's enough - Tedium mod[/i]) '

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh... We've played one or two of these in our time!

The last time we were setting up & testing our gear, probably about 1/4 volume of gigging volume. The Landlords first words were "You're too loud. You'll have to turn down later, the football is on at the same time as you are"
No "You find the plugs alight?" "Can I grab you lads a drink?"

So we play twice our usual volume. Most people are having fun...especially us

Halfway through the first set we have a song called "Barking up the wrong tree" Our singer promptly gets on all fours, starts barking, and scuttles into the now quite rowdy crowd. Into the darkness, and we lose sight of him.

His mic goes silent, the barking stops...

We look at each other confused, but keep playing.
After an eternity (8 mins?) he arrives back on stage, torn T-shirt, profusely sweating, mumbling about the landlord...

You've all got to do it once right?.