Why become a member? ×

9V power supply for multiple things with more than 500ma rating?

I have an increasing number of things that require 9V DC power. Some of these require a fair bit of power. E.g. my Zoom B1xon requires a 500ma power supply just for itself, though I don't know how much power it actually draws. My Roland micro-cube (not bass) amp draws 185mw.

It would be sensible to obtain a single power supply for all of these, but what should I use. There are high quality power supplies such as the T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon, but that costs about £120 itself. I can understand the price if (e.g.) it uses transformers to make sure that each power supply is isolated to avoid ground loops etc.

Are there cheaper but still reasonable alternatives? Would it be better to buy a single wall wart for each of them, or try daisy chaining?

I just bought [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9V-EFFECT-PEDAL-2-AMP-POWER-SUPPLY-ADAPTER-WITH-5-WAY-DAISY-CHAIN-CABLE-/201305659482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edec0985a"]this[/url] off ebay. A 2 Amp supply for £10. Seems to work OK for me.

http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/diago-powerstation.html

I know you've already pulled the trigger, but this Diago unit is probably the best I've used yet.

Apart from the quality & functionality of their kit, Diago are a British outfit (so they're easy to reach) and they remember what 'customer service' means (so you can actually sort stuff out when it goes wrong or bits go missing).

It's worthwhile knowing about other options, depending on what happens when I try and power multiple items with the one I've bought. It would be £35 for the Diago with a daisy chain cable (if I buy theirs from Amazon), so it's worth trying the £10 one first. 9V power supplies won't go to waste around my place, I have many items that run on them, and a shortage of them as a couple of old Boss ones that I have are suffering from frayed cables.

I have heard great things about Diago but had bad hum trying to power my 3leaf Enabler. Ended up with a Harley Benton Powerplant Junior which was £30 and has 5 isolated 9v outs with a doubling cable to deliver 250mA for one pedal. Great value.

The One Spot costs around £20 and can handle up to 1700ma.
I've never experienced unwanted noise from mine, but maybe that's to do with the type of pedals? Mine powers a tuner, bypass looper, LPF, Octave/fuzz, LFO and a compressor no problems at all

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428318482' post='2740119']
[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/diago-powerstation.html"]http://www.diago.co....werstation.html[/url]

I know you've already pulled the trigger, but this Diago unit is probably the best I've used yet.

Apart from the quality & functionality of their kit, Diago are a British outfit (so they're easy to reach) and they remember what 'customer service' means (so you can actually sort stuff out when it goes wrong or bits go missing).
[/quote]

I've got one of these, they're excellent, and a good price too.

The power supply arrived in the post today. If I power my Roland Microcube (with headphones) with the power supply and use pedals powered by batteries, then all is well. If I power the pedals and the amp with the power supply, then I get large amounts of background hum and noise. I can use this, but eventually I'll want a better solution.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428709964' post='2744059']
The power supply arrived in the post today. If I power my Roland Microcube (with headphones) with the power supply and use pedals powered by batteries, then all is well. If I power the pedals and the amp with the power supply, then I get large amounts of background hum and noise. I can use this, but eventually I'll want a better solution.
[/quote]

Unsmoothed supply? Perhaps try putting a large value electrolytic capacitor at one of the points on the daisy chain so it's in parallel with the PSU?

• 2 weeks later...