Why become a member? ×

Bit disgruntled...

Lozz196

...as used both of my Barefaced Super 12Ts this eve, connected up with the special lead that connects them both in series (I think).

So why am I disgruntled we ask - well the pair are just simply too overwhelming together. I imagine on a huge stage they wouldn`t be, but in our rehearsal room, even with the guitarist using his shiny new Marshall 100 watt valve amp and matching 412, I was decimating him. With my amp set at 9 o`clock on volume. And this was my 350 watt Tonehammer, not my gigging 500 watt Tonehammer. I really had to back off on both volume, and how I attacked the strings as the dynamics really punched through.

Now I wanted the pair for bigger gigs, and in truth, to also "look the part" as on the punk scene big speakers are the order of the day. But unless we get the O2 anytime soon, looks like I`ll only be using one of them. Still, saves lugging too much gear around, and I have a nice shiny backup Super 12T should it ever be needed.

But should anyone thinks this is a complaint, far from it, it just shows how good the performance of these cabs is. I did think the second one might be needed due to the new Marshall 412 set-up but my fears were unfounded. Obviously one Super 12T is plenty on its own. So to anyone considering a Barefaced cab, and looking at the claims on the site/reviews thinking "surely not" change that to "surely yes". Barefaced cabs deliver.

I run a daft rig too.
I use a Matamp GT200 into a Barefaced '69er and a Weber Mywatt 200 into a Berg nv412. They're both on pretty much full tilt too.

It's like having a massage.

Mostly I use them one at a time through an A/B box for different tones and have both on for the heavy bits. It works a treat.

I am aware of how excessive this is, but it works for me.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1428936429' post='2746103']
Talk to me about this!
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428936702' post='2746108']
Nope - you talk to OBBM instead. Explain what you're trying to achieve, and he'll make up the cabling/lead that you need.
[/quote]

Jacks spot-on about this Jenny - OBBM makes a little box that you can connect two cabs in series with, just connect the box to one connector on the amp, then two speaker leads from the box, one to each speaker. Not that expensive either.

Both cabs need to be the same ohmage though, otherwise if say you connect a 4ohm and 8ohm cab together this way the 8ohm (I think) gets double the power, so there would be an inbalance between one cab being louder than the other - which irritates me greatly as I wanted to add in a Barefaced Midget but can`t because of this.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1428936429' post='2746103']
Talk to me about this!
[/quote]

This is a 'work-around' usually used as an option when wanting to connect 2 x 4 ohm cabs to an amp which cannot accept less than 4 ohms. With such a connection box, the amp 'sees' an 8 ohm load, and is therefore happy. Less potential power than running at 4 ohms, but more speakers, so can even be louder..! As stated, it's best to have the two cabs with identical impedances; although it will work with mixed cabs, it's just not an ideal balance of power between 'em like that.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1428494128' post='2741747']
I use a Matamp GT200 into a Barefaced '69er
[/quote]

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1428494128' post='2741747']
on pretty much full tilt too.
[/quote]

A 200watt all valve matamp on full blast through a barefaced cab? Are you playing stadia without PA support?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1428939333' post='2746158']
Series cables should only be used with absolutely identical cabs. If you use dissimilar cabs then the two or three or four cabs will all EQ each other in random ways as the power gets split differently at different frequencies.
[/quote]

It`s just such a shame Alex, but as you`re the make of my cabs I`m going with your experience here and either having the two S12Ts (in aircraft hanger size venues) or just the one for normal football pitch size venues.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1429022805' post='2747125']
OK. But who/what is OBBM?
[/quote]

OBBM is a basschatter and a one stop shop for anything cable related.

He has a website called bassicbits, but i'd just drop him a PM.

All my speaker / instrument cables are OBBM, they are top quality and a reasonable price.

• 7 months later...

OK, an update here, and a positive one - not that the above was negative mind. I played a very big stage/venue on Friday, and not knowing what the deal with PA was took both Super 12Ts along. As the stage was big, and there was no soundcheck just linecheck, I decided I`d use both cabs. Set to regular practice volume which given the size of the stage ended up a bit quiet, the spread of sound from the pair was that good that though quieter than I`d have liked, I could still hear myself wherever I was on the stage. And the good thing, no matter where I stood the sound was the same, whether directly in front, to either side, whichever. Great performance from these easy to carry cabs - linked with the special lead I got from Alex I might add.

Yup, those Klotz LY240T cables are 11mm O/D, but the high flex model, so not stiff at all

Mine isnt much good to me at the mo, as it would turn my two 8 ohm cabs into a 16 ohm load

Should be easy enough to rewire the inside gubbins to parallel though

Edited by fleabag

I played some big outdoor gigs this summer and a single S12T powered by my rack (1kW @ 4ohms) was more than enough to make every single person on stage happy (even FOH techs). Never had volume past 10 o'clock. I can't imagine myself giging a pair of these, i would be affraid that the stage could colapse...