Why become a member? ×

Kettle Leads

Hobbayne

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428498213' post='2741821']
That's probably reasonable if a 13A fuse blows before the tripping of a 16A circuit breaker. I'm not that much of an expert, but from what I see published as performance figures, it would seem that a modern CB would trip much faster than a fuse. Depending on the overload, a fuse can hold up for up to an hour before melting. Under those same conditions, a CB would last only a few minutes. For outright short-circuits, too, the CB wins each time.Fuses are a rather clumsy method, after all (which is why CB's were developed and adopted for domestic protection...). I'd be more convinced if there was a CB in the plug, rather than a fuse, but that would be too expensive, I suppose. Still, as long as Albion has its citizens protection at heart, all is well.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's often what happens when you mix old and new technologies.
Fuses are crude and comparatively erratic (any impurities in the fusible link, and even ambient temperature, can make a difference).

Compared to other countries we may be a bit 'belt and braces' but, having seen Spanish wiring burst into flames, I'm certainly OK with that. :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428498213' post='2741821']

That's probably reasonable if a 13A fuse blows before the tripping of a 16A circuit breaker. I'm not that much of an expert, but from what I see published as performance figures, it would seem that a modern CB would trip much faster than a fuse. Depending on the overload, a fuse can hold up for up to an hour before melting. Under those same conditions, a CB would last only a few minutes. For outright short-circuits, too, the CB wins each time.Fuses are a rather clumsy method, after all (which is why CB's were developed and adopted for domestic protection...). I'd be more convinced if there was a CB in the plug, rather than a fuse, but that would be too expensive, I suppose. Still, as long as Albion has its citizens protection at heart, all is well.
[/quote]

Yes. But we have 3, 5 and 10amp fuses as well.

It means you don't have to wire a table lamp with 2.5mm2 wire and then your 40w table lamp bulb isn't backed up with a 16amp breaker.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1428493610' post='2741741']
Thomann now seem to be sending a Uk mains kettle lead with orders , free of charge..
[/quote]

There you are, then. Order a kettle lead from Thomann and they'll send you two.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428526741' post='2742233']
A metal kettle. But the most metally is John Kettley.

[size=3][b]Kettley[/b]: Not Bob Carolgees[/size]
[/quote]

And so is Michael Fish!!

Is it time to post the Russ Andrews link again? Always good for a laugh - http://www.russandrews.com/default.asp

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1428683940' post='2743803']

And so is Michael Fish!!

Is it time to post the Russ Andrews link again? Always good for a laugh - http://www.russandrews.com/default.asp
[/quote]

I feel some Amazon reviews coming on...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1428683940' post='2743803']

And so is Michael Fish!!

[/quote]
Oh no not the Russ Andrews link! I'm off to listen to my Naim, DIN plugs and all....

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1428489604' post='2741697']
You'll probably find two types a 5A one and a 13A one. They have different cables but the IEC plug socket is only rated at 10A. Work that one out.

Anyway, you might need a 13A one with a 10A fuse depending on your amp power and whether it has a 'soft start'. There's a grey area between 300w and 500w amps as to whether the manufacturer fits a soft start. Essentially you could have a 500w amp that randomly blows 5A fuses when you turn it on.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you can still get 7A plug fuses, if your really bothered. Personally 5 or 13 is good enough for me, even 6A cable will blow a 13A fuse if theres a short - unless its a really really long cable anyway.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1428823987' post='2744754']
Thankfully Russ Andrews make a 10 amp 'Superfuse'. That's a relief.
[/quote][quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1428823987' post='2744754']
Thankfully Russ Andrews make a 10 amp 'Superfuse'. That's a relief.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, just been reading about them.
http://www.russandrews.com/product-Russ-Andrews-13A-SuperFuse-1016.htm

Cant believe I've been missing out on the benefits of high performance fuses for so long.
Cant see a kitemark on them and they dont match the colour codes I'm used to though. Guess I'll just have to put up with the multipack ones from poundland.