Why become a member? ×

2 Years playing. Not sure how well im doing

Twincam

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428501242' post='2741856']
That's good, because in my experience nothing improves your playing quicker than being in a band, especially if everyone else is better than you - you tend to play up to their level pretty damn quick, in a way you just don't do by noodling at home. :)
[/quote]

Joining a band opens you up to music, techniques and ideas that you might never ever consider if all you do is play at home.

I joined my first band pretty much as soon as I could string a couple of chords together on the guitar, my second less than a year after buying my first bass and my third band saw me swapping stringed instruments for synthesisers - something I'd only ever dabbled with before in terms of both keyboard playing technique and sound creation.

Every time I play with new musicians I learn more in a couple of rehearsals than I did in months of playing by myself.

If you still enjoy it then you're doing it right IMO, regardless of ability!

I'm just a few months shy off the 5 year mark and I think I'm probably a little below average for this time but try not to let it bother me! As has been said, the more you know the more you don't know.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428501242' post='2741856']
That's good, because in my experience nothing improves your playing quicker than being in a band, especially if everyone else is better than you - you tend to play up to their level pretty damn quick, in a way you just don't do by noodling at home. :)
[/quote]

Another endorsement for this. I have been playing about a year and like yourself i am self taught. I realised early on that I didnt just want to be a bedroom noodler so I decided at the back end of last year that 2015 would see me playing in a band of some sort. 3 months later, with the help of Join My Band I am sorted in a 4 piece rock band of mixed experience. The learning curve is steep but the confidence it gives you is enormous, especially once you start getting the approving nods from your band members and you realise that you must be doing something right. We recorded ourselves for the first time the other week at rehearsal and it sounded great and really tight. Then, regardless of overall technical ability and experience, you know that what you are doing works in the context of the band and that is what matters. I only expect to get better and more accomplished if I carry on what I am doing and challenging myself. Get yourself in a band - thoroughly recommended (if thats what you want to do of course!)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428494588' post='2741752']
I've just got into trouble when I said that someone that who is quitting lessons after 3 weeks
as he doesn't feel he is progressing, was basically not going to be a guitar player if that is all
he could devote to it.
Some of us have been playing over 40 years, I'd imagine, and the trick is when you stop learning
and having that drive. Because as sure as anything, you never stop learning, you just lose the
vision or desire. The more you know, the more you know you don't know. IMO.
As long as you keep pushing, things will get better. There are very natural players and some who
have to force it and also some who are happy where they are, but 2 years is no time at all to beat
yourself up...
You need to find more things to get your inspired, to keep you fresh and make you pick up the instrument
day-in, day-out.
[/quote]

Good post JTUK.

I dont know why some people get hung up on progress, or how good they are. The first is like trying to monitor your hair growing :D and the second is undefinable. It is a recipe for frustration.

If people do the work on a regular basis, they will make progress without realizing it.

OP my advice is to simply enjoy the learning process. It is a life journey, so relax, sit back and enjoy the scenery. B)

I wouldn't worry about comparing your creative output to others; no good can come of it.

Occasionally you might hear another player do something that whets your appetite to learn a new technique or alter your approach, and that's fine, and is a sign of a healthy outlook on your playing and musicianship, but to measure yourself against non-existent benchmarks is just asking for trouble.

Being a great musician (or any other sort of artist) is a life's work where you'll have great, creative periods, interspersed with seemingly endless months of frustration. This is perfectly normal.

Just keep doing the do. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428497949' post='2741815']

Same here. But I'm not in the least bit bothered about box-ticking or target-achieving - nor do I have 'goals' or ever think about where I'm going to be in five years' time or any of that piddling crap.

I'm not in competition with anyone - in my opinion music is art and therefore entirely subjective. You only have to read a couple of random threads on this forum to understand that one man's Mark King is another man's, er... Adam Clayton, or something.

I enjoy bass playing far too much to be worried about how 'well' I'm doing, or if someone else is 'better' than me at it. Feck 'em! :D
[/quote]i couldn't a wrote that better meself.

Those who are self-taught and those who have had lessons will have their own reasons for saying one is better than the other and, of course, those reasons are perfectly sound. For me, I’m glad I taught myself – not because of the end result but because of the numerous little victories along the way (and, 30+ years on, they still happen). Listening to a riff or technique and wondering if you’ll master it is part of the buzz, the other part being the thrill of working out how to do it. Each of these is a little step along the way and each feels just as good as the last.
Doesn’t matter what these steps are; it might be the first time you learn how to play walking blues, or a solid slap/pull technique, or major/minor riffs, or just that song you always wanted to play. You’ll keep ticking boxes, but they won’t be those on any sort of list – they’ll be individual ‘aha!’ moments brought about through curiosity.

If people you respect as musicians are telling you "you are doing well" then bask in their compliments, start believing them and you will be an even more accomplished player in no time at all.

My big moment was when a guitarist I really respected asked me to play on a recording session for him in place of the usual pro session bass player he had used before.....that was a massive boost to my ego.....turned out some years later that said pro session man was actually away on tour when the recording was happening...still I had bigged myself up by that point and never looked back...to this day I am far better than that bloke and nowhere near as good as another bloke :blink:

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1428493782' post='2741742']
My technical knowledge of bass guitars and instruments in general is now very good. I can now set up a bass and many other stringed instruments, work on frets and do small repair work and modifications to a good standard. Im hoping to further this by doing some courses very soon. Im proud of this just wish my playing talent matched.[/quote]

I have been playing for 45 years and I can't do any of that stuff. My goal, I'm a band guy, a gigging guy. I love live performance and the audience. For me I subscribe to the ABGs [i],"Always Be Gigging, Always Be Gigging"[/i]

What was your goal with the bass, to be a top notch at home hobby guy,a luthier, recording artist, playing in a gigging band?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428497949' post='2741815']
Same here. But I'm not in the least bit bothered about box-ticking or target-achieving - nor do I have 'goals' or ever think about where I'm going to be in five years' time or any of that piddling crap.

I'm not in competition with anyone - in my opinion music is art and therefore entirely subjective. You only have to read a couple of random threads on this forum to understand that one man's Mark King is another man's, er... Adam Clayton, or something.

I enjoy bass playing far too much to be worried about how 'well' I'm doing, or if someone else is 'better' than me at it. Feck 'em! :D
[/quote]

Sums it up for me too. As long as I`m able to play what I need to play, and able to learn those parts if I wasn`t already able, I`m happy with that.

10,000 hours is often quoted as the ammount of effort required to be "ok" when mastering a instrument. I worked out that is many many years of full time work, then realised I will never be ok and then became happy with that.

It is also sometimes hard to understand how much better one is after a lengthy period of time because you dont notice the small impovements you are making. It is like never seeing your kids grow up, but one day they are as tall as you and you go "wholy cow, when did that happen?". Take recordings often, dont play them for months and then every so often listen how sh*t you were and how much better you are now. Repeat for decades to come.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1428577003' post='2742540']
10,000 hours is often quoted as the amount of effort required to be "ok" when mastering a instrument.
[/quote]

Or mastering anything, really. I've done my 10,000 hours over the last 40 years, but I'm not convinced this makes me a genius... ;)

http://youtu.be/DPCOMtJL6vA

10000 hours?

Well i recon, allowing for periods in the wilderness I've played for 10 years. In that time mostly 1x 4 hour rehearsal and 1x 1 hour live set on average per week, more rehearsals and gigs now then when I started but say that's an average. Also maybe 5 hours a week at home working out parts and general writing, noodling etc. So that gives me 10 hours a week, some weeks loads more but some weeks i'm on holiday etc so it balances out roughly.

That gives me 500 hours a year so sadly I'm still ten years away from being any good... bugger

Edited by CamdenRob

Over 40 years of playing at an average of 1 hour a day, I'm well over the 10,000 hour mark, but I'm still well below average as a player.

But you know what? I've never had any problem finding bands to play in, and even after 40 years I'm still finding playing exciting. I'll leave "mastering my instrument(s)" to those who find such things important and get on with having fun writing and playing music. I couldn't really ask for much more.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1428581603' post='2742628']
...and get on with having fun writing and playing music.
[/quote]

Thats the crux of it for me, I'd much rather develop as a musician than a technician.

There are so many aspects to bass playing outside of your technical ability, or even outside of playing altogether, like working with others in a band environment, communicating your ideas, knowing when to compromise and when to stand strong.

Obviously being technically better gives you more tools for your compositions but for me its all about writing and playing your own music :)

If you don't know if you're doing it right, you're doing it right.

It suggests to me that you want to be better and to strive for it. That seems normal. Tonnes better than feeling you've plateaued or lost interest in improving.

Simply, it doesn't matter. I used to get hung up over my playing and progression. I'd sit there for hours playing exercises for the sake of it. I improved, but I didn't like playing. Then, I started playing in bands and gigging regularly and realised I'd been doing it all wrong.

If your still enjoying it, that's the most important bit.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428528429' post='2742255']

I have been playing for 45 years and I can't do any of that stuff. My goal, I'm a band guy, a gigging guy. I love live performance and the audience. For me I subscribe to the ABGs [i],"Always Be Gigging, Always Be Gigging"[/i]

What was your goal with the bass, to be a top notch at home hobby guy,a luthier, recording artist, playing in a gigging band?

Blue
[/quote]

Blue sums it up for me, I've learnt more from gigs & preparing for gigs in the rehearsal room than I ever did on my own.
I have fourteen year's or so in the bank & still occasionally get that look from the others when I "hit a wrong'n" or miss the change completely in a forest gump style.
Don't compare yourself to others just enjoy the journey to your own groove.

I got my first bass in 1994 and I've only just introduced ghost notes into my play. It's all about playing live for me. Bass in a band sets the 'feeling' of the tune IMO. If you get can get that right it doesn't matter what your chops are like.

I have been playing for a year; approx 45 mins practice [u]every[/u] night and lessons every Saturday. I have just passed my third grade exam (all three passed at over 90%). I know my major / minor arpegios, natural minors, majors, major / minor pentatonics, blues scales and a couple of others, however, I have absolutely no music theory. and cannot learn by ear.

If someone said let's play X in the key of D or similar, I would not have a clue what to do.

I can read and play simple tab / score but have no chance of jamming or playing in a band at this stage. In short I feel I cannot play at all. Reading the above posts is just hugely frustrating for me. When I read other posts of people playing in bands after only a couple of months of picking up the bass I struggle to believe it based on my abilities.

This is not meant as a whinge by me, but more to give a bench mark to others who think they are behind the curve.

On the other hand this lady had been playing for only three years when she recorded this and ended up playing with JK in Edinburgh!

[url="https://youtu.be/C_Xy_pD_Or8"]https://youtu.be/C_Xy_pD_Or8[/url]

Edited by Bobthedog

I'm no master on this subject, or any subject for that matter, but I've read a good book on this. What you need to do is:

1 - Plan your direction - have a series of goals in mind as you practice. Not "end-goals" but "Key Progress Indicators". Know what you want to achieve and work towards it. Examples might be to be able to play a 12-bar blues riff reliably at 100bpm. Then throw in a tripplet or 2, then up the target time to 120bpm.

2 - Enjoy the journey. This isn't about passing your Maths GCSE, this is about getting to a workable level in the techniques you want to play with and then get better. This is more like learning to drive; you might pass your driving test, but you're still learning - as others have said above.

Enjoy the journey of the small goals and "victories" on the way.

I've been at it 4-5 years and I've still got a long way to go.

A book I like is [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Bass-Complete-Full-Band-Builders/dp/0793586682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428746793&sr=8-1&keywords=bLUES-BASS-COMPLETE-METHOD-Builders"]Blues Bass - John Liebman[/url]. Blues may not be your style, but it starts off simple and works up to some good solos and helps develop techniques.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1428741384' post='2744159']
When I read other posts of people playing in bands after only a couple of months of picking up the bass I struggle to believe it based on my abilities.
[/quote]

Just because people decide to join bands early on doesn't mean they are any good. But they will improve exponentially. The whole punk thing was all about giving anybody the chance to pick up an instrument and just do it regardless of ability. In fact I was already in a band before I ever picked up a bass guitar. It's not about learning theory, it's about confidence. If you think you can, you can. If you don't think you can, you need to convince yourself. As was said earlier, joining a band is by far the quickest way to get proficient at bass. I've not the slightest idea about bass-related musical theory, nor do I have any desire to learn or feel the need to pass exams to prove my abilities - as far as I'm concerned, music theory is tantamount to maths, which I hate.

Nevertheless I can jam with any band, quickly learn long sets of material by ear and have been in and out of the music business as a pro bass player for years. Not one single person has ever asked to see my bass-playing qualifications or asked after my sight-reading abililty. It's about personality, confidence, feel and groove. Learning scales and modes isn't going to help you lock in with a drummer. This is all in my humble opinion, of course. :) If it's not fun and you're not enjoying it, then you're doing it wrong. ;)

Edited by discreet