Why become a member? ×

2 Years playing. Not sure how well im doing

Twincam

If people want you to play with them, then you are doing ok.
It is the pool you swim in that is the benchmark...and you just
have to satisfy that, first and foremost.
If you move into another pool then you start again.
If you are happy where you are, then fine..

I would bone up on various genres tho... as this makes you versatile.
I've seen 'decent' band players that really struggle on a blues gig because
they don't have enough allround knowledge to cope. Put them in their rehearsed
band and they are different player.
Learn to busk...train your ear and listen to loads.

I had to do 'smoke on the water' the other day and I wouldn't have touched
that since I was a kid..and I'm well past that, but I busked it and
it was the best song the band did all night pretty much.
No one got that it wasn't that bands song at all...
Of course, it isn't the hardest song but there are two chords you have to hear,
The Ab, which means you have to hear two tones down from the C, and less difficult
but it will sound terribly if you don't get it, the F at the end of the gtr solo.
If you can hear reasonable changes, have a wealth of songs you know in your head, then
you can be a good busker and that will always get you work.
If you can work off notes and charts and dots, then that opens up even more...
This is what I would say most bass players need to be able to do...if you want to branch out
of being a one band guy where all your work and knowledge is done in rehearsal, IMO.

+1 to getting a teacher and joining a band for progression.

Had lessons with a fabulous teacher and joined a band in 2 months!!

Ok, I was completely rubbish and when we first met I focused entirely on root notes, but that band got me playing better faster than I ever would have done on my own!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428748196' post='2744226']
I've not the slightest idea about bass-related musical theory, nor do I have any desire to learn or feel the need to pass exams to prove my abilities - as far as I'm concerned, music theory is tantamount to maths, which I hate.
[/quote]

I should probably say there's nothing at all wrong with learning musical theory, or taking a theory-based approach to bass playing, or paying for tuition, etc etc. Whatever works for the individual is a good thing, and if it's working for you and you work better in a structured environment then that's the way to go.

I realise my approach may not work for everyone... :blush: :D ;)
And not everyone wants to play live, regardless of my view that to do anything else is pointless! YMMV!

The fact that people are even taking up bass guitar is a big positive!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1428741384' post='2744159'] When I read other posts of people playing in bands after only a couple of months of picking up the bass I struggle to believe it based on my abilities. [/quote]

In my case I'd had a classical music education, and had played guitar a bit as well. So I'd had many years of music experience including performing in public, so although a novice bassist I wasn't a novice musician. I'm sure there are quite a few like me.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1428767582' post='2744409']
In my case I'd had a classical music education, and had played guitar a bit as well. So I'd had many years of music experience including performing in public, so although a novice bassist I wasn't a novice musician. I'm sure there are quite a few like me.
[/quote]

Yep agreed. Studied music at A level, clarinetist and sax to a reasonable standard so the theory side already makes sense and I have been able to concentrate on technique and learning bass lines that I need to know for the band, which certainly comes easier with a good musical ear. Struggle to sight read from the bass clef tho after years reading treble so I just commit bass parts to memory and at the moment that is all I really want to do.

....I've not the slightest idea about bass-related musical theory, nor do I have any desire to learn or feel the need to pass exams to prove my abilities - as far as I'm concerned, music theory is tantamount to maths, which I hate.
[/quote]

You're saying an awful lot of stuff I agree with lately.
Stop it. Now.
:D

Nevertheless I can jam with any band, quickly learn long sets of material by ear and have been in and out of the music business as a pro bass player for years. Not one single person has ever asked to see my bass-playing qualifications or asked after my sight-reading abililty. It's about personality, confidence, feel and groove. Learning scales and modes isn't going to help you lock in with a drummer. This is all in my humble opinion, of course. :) If it's not fun and you're not enjoying it, then you're doing it wrong. ;)[/quote]

Depends on the situations you end up in. Back in the 80s I auditioned for a tour with Cher. Got to the audition, the band was ready to go and they handed me sheet music for a polka. I don't read music, I was told the gig wasn't for me and was asked to leave.

Say anything you want, I felt like an idiot.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428784781' post='2744572']
Depends on the situations you end up in... I felt like an idiot.
[/quote]

Been there. I'm sure I wouldn't have got that gig either... I did say I've been [i]out [/i]of the music business as well as [i]in [/i]it... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428791692' post='2744653']
Been there. I'm sure I wouldn't have got that gig either... I did say I've been [i]out [/i]of the music business as well as [i]in [/i]it... ;)
[/quote]

At the end of the day it was an example of not getting all the information about what they were looking for and not being prepared. :sad:

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428799583' post='2744701']
At the end of the day it was an example of not getting all the information about what they were looking for and not being prepared. :sad:
[/quote]

Sometimes it's just not possible to second-guess what people are really looking for. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428784781' post='2744572']

Depends on the situations you end up in. Back in the 80s I auditioned for a tour with Cher. Got to the audition, the band was ready to go and they handed me sheet music for a polka. I don't read music, I was told the gig wasn't for me and was asked to leave.

Say anything you want, I felt like an idiot.

Blue
[/quote]

I can't think of anything worse than listening to Cher singing for hour on end every other night.

dont judge yourself by what you see as the most conspicuous examples around

miss 3 year player whatever here name is, wouldnt have got that gig if she was a size 18 with ginger wirey hair and acne wearing NHS glasses (i do believe there is a thread already on here somehwere discussing the merits of her [s]skimpy clothing[/s] adequate bass playing) :P

likewise history shows us that some players can do much more more - vai had only been playing for 7 years when he was spotted by zappa after transcribing his work

if it makes you happy keep on doing it and get constructive advice on how to improve whatever it is you are doing that makes you happy

if it makes other people happy and gets them on their feet shaking their groove thang then all the better

unless of course you would prefer to be like a NAMM booth/bedroom technical fretw***ing circus freak show :gas:

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1428825948' post='2744781']
I can't think of anything worse than listening to Cher singing for hour on end every other night.
[/quote]

Anyway you cut it, she's [i]"big time"[/i] and I'm not.

And where I come from it would have been considered a big score. As in the difference between telling your mates; [i]" I'm on tour with Cher " and "Oh, I'm playing at Willies Burger Pub Friday night". :) [/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428501242' post='2741856']
That's good, because in my experience nothing improves your playing quicker than being in a band, especially if everyone else is better than you - you tend to play up to their level pretty damn quick, in a way you just don't do by noodling at home. :)
[/quote]

This is the best advice you'll get I reckon.

I played bass from 16 to 25 then stopped until I was 43... Picked my bass back up summer 2013 and in a band by September. I'm playing better than I every have, have mire subtlety and diversity to my playing than I did before. I'm also aware that I'll never be good enough to feel I've got there... I'm just happy being good enough to do justice to the songs the two bands I'm in.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428858748' post='2745346']

Anyway you cut it, she's [i]"big time"[/i] and I'm not.

And where I come from it would have been considered a big score. As in the difference between telling your mates; [i]" I'm on tour with Cher " and "Oh, I'm playing at Willies Burger Pub Friday night". :) [/i]

Blue
[/quote]

That's true. Gets your name out there etc. any idea what the money was like out of interest?

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1428862102' post='2745407']
That's true. Gets your name out there etc. any idea what the money was like out of interest?
[/quote]

Never got that far into the process, I would guess, at the time a sideman playing bass. Around $500.00 a week.

Blue

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1428862102' post='2745407']
[/quote]

I think some guys don't understand that when working opportunities come up it's probably not going to be your genre of choice.

It's why many really good rock musicians never leave the bedroom. My thinking, no matter who the artist or band is or what the genre is, it's still going to be me playing bass the way I play bass.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428863590' post='2745431']
Never got that far into the process, I would guess, at the time a sideman playing bass. Around $500.00 a week.
[/quote]

How long ago 'coz that's a scarily small amount of money for the skills required.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1428947976' post='2746306']
Adjusted for inflation that $500 should now be ~£1200... Shocking.
[/quote]
Her management's argument would, I'm sure, be something like "think how that will look on your CV".

Let's face it, Barry Manilow or Barbara Streisand may not be your thing, but would you turn the gig down if you can get it and afford to live on the income?
I bet backing any of the "big" solo names isn't so much fun either, night after night.