Why become a member? ×

Advice please! POG v's boss OC3

the hand of john curley

Advice needed please peeps! I'm after an octave pedal, but one that allows me to octave 'up' as well as just 'down'
So far I think I've narrowed it down to these two. Money is a factor and the boss is obviously cheaper than the pog. However, I don't know if it will allow me to do what I want.
Any advice or comments gratefully appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Matt

depends if you want clean octave up?

what are you going to use this for? pog is very digital and clean, you could try and look at an cog effects t-65 which has an effects loop to blend dirt pedals or other effects in with the octave, but the octave up is dirty and more to fill out the sound a bit more.

andy

I've been using either a micro pog or a OC3 on my board for a few years and I can't say I'm overly pleased with either but seeing as I only use octave on a couple of songs I have lived with them.

The micro pog tracks very well but sounds very digital. I don't like it when used along with a clean tone. The OC3 has a bit more depth but doesn't do octave up and doesn't track quite as well. It's not bad though.

Currently the Micro Pog is on my board but I like the look of the MXR bass octave deluxe and the COG T65 looks great especially as you can get custom options on COG pedals!

I'm eyeing up POGs because you can take two lines out of them, keeping one as your bass and boosting/dropping an octave on the other one. You can then have different subsequent effects on both, before going in to 2 amps or an ABY pedal (which I will do, as I can't afford 2 amps...). I want to act as dual rhythm guitarist + bassist in some of our bigger choruses/bridges, so this is valuable to me. Additionally, the Nano POG is supposed to be released soon, with (aside from a smaller footprint) 'improved circuitry', whatever that means... Perhaps it will make the digital sound of the Micro a bit more natural?

However, if you simply want to change octaves up or down, then they are probably unnecessarily expensive. Hope that's some more food for thought!

Ah yes, good point re. the wet+dry OC3. I didn't mean to imply that exclusively the POG does this dual split, just that as far as I know, it is only the POG that does the split with an octave up. Nope, tell a lie, it looks like the COG T65 might do that as well!! But it is analogue, vs. the digital POG...

I am simultaneously exasperated and chuffed that there are so many similarly themed pedals that do slightly different things!

EDIT: And good luck with snagging the Mooer!

Edited by ben4343

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1428572258' post='2742477']
If you need an ABY pedal anyway, why are separate wet/dry outputs necessary when you can use a 2loop blend pedal instead and just set the octave to 100% wet? Unless you have an aby already.
[/quote]

I guess because I'm not very familiar with 2loop blend pedals (the COG which has been discussed, or something like the Boss LS2? See, clueless :) ), and was exposed to ABY pedals first, so currently favour them? I'm pretty new to effects, so am not familiar with every permutation. At the risk of derailing the thread (apologies OP!) it sounds like that needs a pretty specific kind of octave pedal, which is perhaps more expensive than a 'standard' octave pedal with a cheap ABY box which can actually be used for a couple of other applications? Genuine interest by the way, I'm here to learn!

You're in a good place to find out about fx. You'll learn a lot just from reading posts. :)

Re the OC3, an octave up would have been a good feature for it.
If I went back to playing live, I'd most likely go for another OC3 or even an OC2 with dirt & low pass filter after it.
Altenitavely, I'd go for some ipad apps & a usb pedal board.

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1428573363' post='2742488']

I guess because I'm not very familiar with 2loop blend pedals (the COG which has been discussed, or something like the Boss LS2? See, clueless :) ), and was exposed to ABY pedals first, so currently favour them? I'm pretty new to effects, so am not familiar with every permutation. At the risk of derailing the thread (apologies OP!) it sounds like that needs a pretty specific kind of octave pedal, which is perhaps more expensive than a 'standard' octave pedal with a cheap ABY box which can actually be used for a couple of other applications? Genuine interest by the way, I'm here to learn!
[/quote]

No apology needed my friend!! I'm happy for any advice-my previous fx use has been limited, so if anything comes up that's useful as a result of this thread then that's a good thing!

POG all day long. I was really unimpressed by the OC3 and sold it after giving it a good 6 month bedding into period, I just didnt like it. If you've ever used the octave down on an ashdown amp, it sound like that, just slightly glitchier. I have heard others use the POG and I have a HOG which both sound sweet as a nut mate. The good thing about the hog is that all octaves are clean, not sure if there a little drive on the upper octave with a POG. good luck.

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1428531510' post='2742278']
Hadn't looked at the mooer. Nice one! Am thinking that this could so the job!
Thanks very much
Matt
[/quote]

There's one for up for grabs in the effects for sale section. Bit cheaper than gettin one new.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259727-mooer-pure-octave-l40-post/

POG has a really good Octave up in my opinion, but it's octave down lacks any kind of body. It pales in comparison against the OC-2 (forget the OC-3).
If you have space on your board, OC-2 for lows, then wait for the new smaller POG Nano for your octave up needs.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1428854242' post='2745281']
POG has a really good Octave up in my opinion, but it's octave down lacks any kind of body. It pales in comparison against the OC-2 (forget the OC-3).
If you have space on your board, OC-2 for lows, then wait for the new smaller POG Nano for your octave up needs.

Si
[/quote]

+1 that reminds me of a previous conversation…….

Oooh look, Andertons have them on pre order:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid37844/cid692/electro-harmonix-nano-pog-pedal.asp?LGWCODE=37844;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=NANO%20POG&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmLipBRC59O_EqJ_E0asBEiQATYdNh6_TLJDIdWdO2RMywilZRDvND98YqPYCw0c_sDMyVowaAlG_8P8HAQ

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1429081966' post='2747686']
Oooh look, Andertons have them on pre order:

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid37844/cid692/electro-harmonix-nano-pog-pedal.asp?LGWCODE=37844;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=NANO%20POG&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmLipBRC59O_EqJ_E0asBEiQATYdNh6_TLJDIdWdO2RMywilZRDvND98YqPYCw0c_sDMyVowaAlG_8P8HAQ"]http://www.andertons...yVowaAlG_8P8HAQ[/url]
[/quote]

This has been the case since (at least) late February, where they were purported to be shipping mid-March. I emailed them to ask about a release date, and they responded quickly but vaguely. Subsequently, the shipping date got bumped back to mid-May. I'm so GASsy about this pedal...

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1429083810' post='2747704']
This has been the case since (at least) late February, where they were purported to be shipping mid-March. I emailed them to ask about a release date, and they responded quickly but vaguely. Subsequently, the shipping date got bumped back to mid-May. I'm so GASsy about this pedal...
[/quote]

Ahh, bummer - I'd like one too, It'd make my PT Mini setup much neater and I'm intrigued to hear the 'New' POG algorithm.

Edited by NoirBass