Why become a member? ×

Baritone Guitar; have you played one? Wassitlike?

Grangur

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi there,[/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]I was just crusin' on the Thomann site curtesy of a link by Mr Annoying Twit, of this parish, and found a Baritone guitar. Got really curious and watched a vid:[/font]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQqjUFsM_c[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]With this guitar on sale for not too much curiosity got the better of me and... .woops... "INCOMING!!!!"[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So, I've been reading a bit about these and there seem to be a few ways of tuning. A popular one seems to be [color=#000000]B, E, A, D, F#, B[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]What tunings do folk here use? Does it work well if you tune to B, E, A, D, G, C ?[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What do you guys think? Are they cool?[/font][/color]

I made (assembled/finished) two Warmoth baritones ... a 7 string (which I sold to our guitarist so I still get to play/admire it) and did another 6 string tele style ... both tuned to low F# so nearly full octave below normal tuning.

I really like the low single note djent riffing that Meshuggah / Periphery etc use which does suit our type of metal ... I tune my bass in drop A however as I didn't get on with low F# on my bass.

If you tune in B you can use thinner gauges & perhaps have more options than going really low.

Edited by sifi2112

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1428611339' post='2743112']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Does it work well if you tune to B, E, A, D, G, C ?[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Not if you're planning to play normal guitar chords on it, no.

I played (tried out for a couple of days) a baritone classical guitar, similar to a normal CG, but tuned a fifth lower and it had a great depth and sustain.

I was very tempted as I used to play a lot of contemporary solo pieces so it didn't matter about the tuning. However, it was too expensive to experiment when I could be putting that money towards a normal concert CG.

I can appreciate Phil's point about cost. This is sub £100 cost however, so not too bad for me right now.

Thanks AT, for your thoughts. My only concern now is I've read of Harley Benton instruments being a bit on the weighty side. But hey,let's see how it works out.

To be specific, mine was a Danelectro and my main gripe was the scale length - too long for playing comfortably like a normal guitar, cramped to play like a bass. Your experience may be different, so I think one really needs to try hands on!

Edited by juliusmonk

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428710178' post='2744061']
I'm learning over time to play everything in all fourths tuning. There is some adaption necessary, but it is working out for me.
[/quote]

Interesting as I was just looking into this only last week - and in relation to my baritones. Nearly missed this thread - there's a guitar section nowadays on BC guys!

I have three baritones:

Fender Jaguar Baritone - replaced stock pick-ups with Bare Knuckle and added a ToneStyler replacement tone pot. Currently tuned B E A D F# B.

Fender Telecaster Baritone - my current fave. Replaced stock pick-ups with Catswhisker ones, it came with Fernandes Sustainer pick-up already installed. Added Greasebucket mod to tone pot. Currently tuned B E A D F# B.

Yamaha Drop-6 - odd one this. Currently tuned BBB bbb unison tuning - three low strings, three mid strings, for Glenn Branca-type stuff.

Actually as a guitarist I noticed I was getting lower and lower in pitch and eventually just decided I should get a bass! Love my baritones though.