Why become a member? ×

Dupuytrens Contracture .......anyone had/got it

lowlandtrees

Just been diagnosed with the above. I thought that I had been over practising and blistering. My ex music teacher had it and had to have tendons on his ring finger and pinky cut more than once. I think that if it goes that far I am musically up that creek.
It seems to be progressing quite quickly. Do I cut the practice or increase it cos the end is in sight? There is apparently new treatments but it seems like my GP did n t know about that. Been referred to orthopaedics but you know how long that takes.

I had an operation to remove a Dupuytrens Contracture from my left hand in about 1990.
I've since got some smaller lumps on the palms of both hands but they haven't gotten any worse or started to pull my fingers in so I've been lucky so far.

I've known a few people that have had the condition over the years & it can go as far as needing the little fingers amputated - I was warned that I would possibly need that done if the operation I had hadn't been a success but luckily it never came to that.

They seem to change the treatments for this condition quite often so I don't know what current thinking is.

One thing I was told to do after the operation is to stretch the fingers gently away from the palm to counteract the pulling of the palma fascia (it's this layer that contracts & causes the condition, not the tendons). Been doing this ever since; don't know if it's made any difference but the condition hasn't returned to any major degree since, there's certainly no sign of my fingers being pulled in towards the palm again.

As far as practicing goes I'd just carry on as you are - I never altered my playing regime when I had it, though I couldn't play at all for two months after the operation.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1428616876' post='2743217']
Hi
Thanks for the reply. How big an area of tissue did they remove and how deep did they cut? Did the contractures grow quickly?
Was in Cardiff last week btw
[/quote]

The scar on my palm is about an inch long & slightly "S" shaped. They cut pretty deep though - my hand was in a pressure bandage for a good few weeks & it looked a bit of a mess for a while after that. It's been hardly noticeable for years now though, I would have to point the scar out to you for you to notice it.

It didn't grow particularly quickly, they didn't even think it was a Duyputrens Contracture at first because I was so young (I was the youngest case of it they'd ever seen, usually effects people in their 50s & older & I was only 24).

They thought I had an "Impacted Dermoid" (something stuck under the skin in other words). It was only when they went in to have a look they discovered what it was.

Did they ask you how much you drink? Apparently it can be connected to alcoholism. I was drinking a LOT back then so maybe it was made worse by that.

Edited by RhysP

I've had this for a few years too, in my left (fretting) hand. Got a strange crease/lump in the palm of my hand that
sometimes gives me a slight bit of gyp but thankfully does n't seem to be getting any worse at the moment.
Been told it has to get quite bad before they will consider corrective surgery, which suits me!!
Good luck with whatever course you go for.

I have it on the left hand pinkie. While I obviously cant stretch the pinkie as far as I'd like when I fret, it does not interfere too much with my playing. It has not gotten any worse over the last few years.

Contrary to what some people say, I have read that the earlier it is treated the better the success rate.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1428663735' post='2743507']
My nan had this on the left hand pinkie, and I have noticed that my left hand pinkie has recently started to hurt when I press down hard on the fingerboard (most notable on upright). I had thought it was the start of arthritis, but maybe it's this?
[/quote]

I never had any finger pain with it, maybe it is arthritis in your case?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1428667314' post='2743568']
My brother got diagnosed about a month ago.
He has trouble with his foot as well. Not sure if it's all connected . He talks in spasms , ( often leaving out the most important part in any conversation ), so I am a little confused .
[/quote]

When I went in for my Duyputrens op they also checked my feet pretty thoroughly, even though I wasn't having any trouble with them. Apparently it can cause foot problems as well.

I've developed it in both hands but my left fretting hand is the worst. I can no longer put my hands flat on the floor as my ring fingers are contracting inwards.
I'm putting off having anything done about it as long as possible as I'm in my sixties now and guess I wouldn't regain much dexterity or strength after an operation.
Really annoyed that something like this will ultimately stop me playing after all these years.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1428669683' post='2743603']

When I went in for my Duyputrens op they also checked my feet pretty thoroughly, even though I wasn't having any trouble with them. Apparently it can cause foot problems as well.
[/quote]
Thanks for that . My sympathies to all on this thread . What is it with these rare conditions?!?

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1428672542' post='2743649']
I've developed it in both hands but my left fretting hand is the worst. I can no longer put my hands flat on the floor as my ring fingers are contracting inwards.
I'm putting off having anything done about it as long as possible as I'm in my sixties now and guess I wouldn't regain much dexterity or strength after an operation.
Really annoyed that something like this will ultimately stop me playing after all these years.
[/quote]

You'll gain a lot more dexterity back if you get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
If you're at the stage where your fingers are being pulled inwards then you really should get it sorted, or you could end up with amputation as your only option.

Don t think that I drink that much at prez but had my share of fun before I got hitched. I have used chainsaws on a daily basis since 1978 so that may explain it. Pisses me off that finally I get time to devote to playing that this comes along.
I read on the NHS web site that there are interventions that are successful if it is caught early but my GP thought that they only operated at a late stage so conflicting info there. It has got slightly worse since I posted last night so not too happy about waiting.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1428685028' post='2743813']
Don t think that I drink that much at prez but had my share of fun before I got hitched.
[/quote]

I dont know for a fact, but I dont think heavy drinking has much to do with whether you contact it or not. I think it is more hereditary.
My dad was a [i]very[/i] moderate drinker and he had it. Same with his sister (my aunt).

I read somewhere about an alternative to surgery, where they inject a chemical into the hand that dissolves the offending tissue. From all accounts the results are fairly fast, but there is always a catch in that there "can" be side effects. The treatment is not available here in Ireland, but is available in France AFAIK.

If you want surgery for this, you might want to consider going private. Most CCG's consider this a procedure of 'limited clinical effectiveness' and require strict criteria to be applied before they will pay for it (ie. they will only pay as a last resort in practice). Google 'Procedures of limited clinical effectiveness (+ your local area) - its not just this, lots of surgery you think you might get done routinely is rationed these days.