Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz vs Aguilar vs TECAMP - Your help needed!

GeorgeL94

Currently looking at changing around some of my gear and think I need a helping hand with any tips!

My rig at the moment is a Glockenklang Blue Soul (Which i think will be on the market soon) going into a vanderkley 2x10 and 1x12 MNT.

Anyway, i dont feel like the Glockenklang sound suits my playing anymore and i want something smaller and a bit more lightweight. So i think i've narrowed it down to 3 options:

- The Genz-benz Shuttle 9.2

- Aguilar tonehammer 500

- TecAmp Puma 1000

As i've sent the Glockenklang off for a service, my friends lent me his GB shuttle 6.0 and i'm enjoying the sound. I havnt used a tube amp before so its sound is quite new to me. One thing i've noticed in particular is the tone seems really crisp and the high end stuff is great!

Anyway any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!

I've no experience with any TecAmp gear, so i can't comment on them.
I have used a GB Streamliner 6.0 and i did like it. I always had it as a backup, and it never let me down.
The tone was good. Very warm, and you could get it driven. Lightweight. Good class D amp.
The amp i use is the Aguilar TH500. Love it. Very easy to use. Can go from clean, to driven to outright fuzzy.
My favorite part is the Mids. Being able to select the frequency you want to boost/cut makes it very versatile.
I've not played it through Vanderkleys, so i don't know how it would work with these (some cabs are voiced different to others), but overall i absolutely love it.
I think the most common bit of advice you'll be given i to try and test these amps with your cab set-up.
Everyones opinions will be valid, but it's yours that matter!

I`m pretty much the same with the TH500 - it`s got a lovely warm, old-school vibe to it. It sounds like a more modern Ampeg imo. I use it into a Barefaced Super 12T, so a nice uncoloured cab. Not sure what it would be like into cabs that colour the sound, but through a clear cab it`s great.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1428664375' post='2743511']
I've no experience with any TecAmp gear, so i can't comment on them.
I have used a GB Streamliner 6.0 and i did like it. I always had it as a backup, and it never let me down.
The tone was good. Very warm, and you could get it driven. Lightweight. Good class D amp.
The amp i use is the Aguilar TH500. Love it. Very easy to use. Can go from clean, to driven to outright fuzzy.
My favorite part is the Mids. Being able to select the frequency you want to boost/cut makes it very versatile.
I've not played it through Vanderkleys, so i don't know how it would work with these (some cabs are voiced different to others), but overall i absolutely love it.
I think the most common bit of advice you'll be given i to try and test these amps with your cab set-up.
Everyones opinions will be valid, but it's yours that matter!
[/quote]

Thanks man! yeah what i'm finding at the moments is the mids an highs of the shuttle i've borrowed are amazing but the lows seem to have a fraction less detail. But thats probably cause the i have the tube volume a bit higher than the master?

I have the 9.2 My setting are: Gain at 4 o'clock; Volume at 1 o'clock; Low at noon; Low mids at 1 o'clock; High mids at 2 o'clock; High at noon.
Playing classic rock with noisy guitar and drums, no problem cutting through. And sounds great.

I tried a couple of Warwicks at Bass Direct the other day and played through a Tecamp Puma 900 into Vanderkley cabs (not sure which ones) and it sounded jolly nice. I use the same amp into Berg AE112s which also sounds jolly nice.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1428666531' post='2743550']
We use the TH500 as our reference head in the shop. Seems to work with every cab we've ever partnered it with :)
[/quote]

I have to say the TH500 stood up very well against the Demeter Minnie 800 head on my recent purchasing visit to Bassgear. It also has stuff the Demeter doesn't, like a drive control.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1428960690' post='2746530']
I have to say the TH500 stood up very well against the Demeter Minnie 800 head on my recent purchasing visit to Bassgear. It also has stuff the Demeter doesn't, like a drive control.
[/quote]

Speaking of which, when can I hear this Demeter in Swindon, any gigs lined up? I am intrigued :)

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1429021761' post='2747111']
Speaking of which, when can I hear this Demeter in Swindon, any gigs lined up? I am intrigued :)
[/quote]

Unfortunately it's had to go back for a repair, as the power now stay permanently 'on' regardless of the position of the mains switch!

Outside of the house I have only used it on one rehearsal, so not enough imo to allow for a comprehensive NAD thread...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1429037532' post='2747310']

Unfortunately it's had to go back for a repair, as the power now stay permanently 'on' regardless of the position of the mains switch!

Outside of the house I have only used it on one rehearsal, so not enough imo to allow for a comprehensive NAD thread...
[/quote]

That sucks, hope it gets back quickly.