Why become a member? ×

Second hand bass opinions

ryan0583

So I've found an Andreas Zeller bass for sale fairly local, and I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first double bass. However, I've noticed from the pictures that the seller has up that the G string is sitting in a deep groove in the bridge. I know this isn't right. Would it just be a case of cutting the bridge down to fix this?

Edited by ryan0583

Guest Jecklin

By itself, this isn't necessarily a problem and would indeed be solved by reshaping the bridge - it doesn't look like it has been shaped to suit the curve of the finger board. On my bass for example the bridge would have been cut down more towards the G side roughly following the level of where the bottoms of the string grooves are in this photo.

HOWEVER I would want to see a lot of photos of the neck to verify the discrepancy of the apparent height of the G. Is the neck cracked or bowed or twisted. Is it sitting crooked in the body.
Is the body collapsing slightly in the E side.
I'd also ask Who installed this bridge?

Edited by Jecklin

It's likely that he's filed the slot down to lower the action on the G string. I've done the same thing when I bought my last bass - the G was way to high for me so I filed the slot down and played it that way for a few months until I was sure of how I wanted the bass set up. When I had the bass set up, I just had the bridge cut down to the right level.
I know players who have cut deep bridge slots and never get round to cutting off the excess.

It wouldn't bother me...string height is dependant on many things, particularly the type /make/tension of the strings. Its a good idea to have a new bridge fitted with adjusters anyway, as this makes string experiments a lot easier, and its good to know the bridge has been properly matched to the top.

I'm in the process of upgrading from my hybrid Zeller and to be honest, they sound very very good for what they cost. And they travel well.

Is there any chance the seller would let you take some photos,
or send you some photos so you could post them here for opinions?

As others have said, it may not be a huge problem in itself....
You could also ask for a fellow BC DB'ers help on here?
Maybe some kind local DB player would be happy to go along with you
and give it the once over? - Maybe cover their petrol money & the price of a pint? - Just a thought

Good luck anyhow
I'm so glad I delved into the world of DB
It's an exciting adventure

Let us know how you get on :)