Why become a member? ×

Changing tube in my ABM300 head

kevcooke

[quote name='kevcooke' post='27688' date='Jul 5 2007, 11:34 PM']My new pre-amp tube should arrive tomorrow. Is it as simple as opening up the head (already done), pulling the old one out, and place the new one in ([b]handling it with a cloth to avoid skin-oil transfer[/b])?

Cheers[/quote]

Whoops I must have been doing it wrong then; I've changed a few preamp valves and can't say I've ever been quite that precious. I've had valves in preamps that I've changed out of curiosity and they've worked fine (for years) after a cloth free change. I may be wrong (and I won't take offence if I'm corrected) but the valve case is just glass, we aren't talking halogen etc. so I'm at a loss as to why you should use a cloth :)

In response to Kurt, I'm putting in a Groove Tubes GT 12AX7-m!

And Warwickhunt, I was told that oils from your skin can shorten the life of the valves. I don't particularly see why either, preamp valves don't get all that hot do they? No harm in doing so just to be sure though.