Why become a member? ×

I have an irrational feeling for buying a Musicman Stingray!

lou24d53

Definitely marmitey! I had this exact feeling once, bought one second hand in great condition and a year later part ex'd for the exact amount I paid against something else. So, effectively I didn't lose a penny on it. It was incredibly well put together, was the easiest bass to get setup perfectly and sounded mega. I'm just not active guy and got fed up of that. Absolutely loved it though and will definitely have another at some point.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1428836682' post='2744983']
I had that feeling with a Thunderbird bass. After a while it became used less and less in favour ot the P bass. :(
[/quote]

I have a P bass incoming and I'm pretty sure that's going to disperse my Stingray GAS. At least for a bit, anyway.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428839090' post='2745016']
I have a P bass incoming and I'm pretty sure that's going to disperse my Stingray GAS. At least for a bit, anyway.
[/quote]

So, back to where you started? :D Any more info?

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1428841126' post='2745040']
So, back to where you started? :D Any more info?
[/quote]

Yes, full circle. I will post a NBD thread in due course.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1428841864' post='2745054']
Is it white by any chance?
[/quote]

Yes. Yes, it is.

Edited by discreet

Never had Stingray GAS - probably only because I've never played a real one.

I used to have a Jim Deacon passive 'Ray copy....and that kind of put me off!

I would love to play one - but I'm a bit worried - as I know if I did, I'm sure I'd love it as they can sound soooo cool. B)

For those that are skint, have Ray GAS and don't mind different names on basswood bodies
Thomann listed MM style basses in their Harley Benton range today.

Under £130 gets you the active 4 string

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mm_84a_sb_deluxe_series.htm

And £140 for the active 5'er

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mm_84a_sb_deluxe_series.htm

As they're not in stock yet there's no reviews,maybe somebody will chance £84 on a passive model just to test the build quality.

I used to have Stingray gas. That was until I bought a Sterling. Slimmer neck, 3 way switch for series/parallel/single coil and a smaller body shape. More aggressive sounding ceramic pickup. I'm happy with it.

Edited by inate_hex

Now then, Stingrays! i've owned several (Pre Eb, EB Rays, Ray 34, U.S. Subs 4/5) rays' over the years and eventually sold them all on at some point because i just could not get them to cut it live for me (with the exception of the Pre EB), plus I wasn't a fan of the neck width being more of a jazz man - yet i always loved the Stingray for home noodling, but definately too much of an expensive bass for home noodling alone. But conversely when I haven't had a Stingray in the group I miss them badly and always hanker after another (GAS) only to end up going full circle again.

However, i think I may have cracked it this time! I bought one of these new Sterling S.U.B. basses and was hugely impressed with the build qulity, jazz widthneck too. Yes the electronics are crap but i hung out for a proper EB Pre amp and pick up (90% of the Stingray sound IMO :ph34r: )...and voila a great stingray which i much prefer over the US Subs and it keeps me happy in the Ray dept'...not keen on those slab bodies and odd finish of the US Subs either.

....and yes it does have a cheeky decal...i'm one of those that does :rolleyes: ....ended up a bit of a 'bitsa' project after sanding the neck :yarr:

[center][/center]
[center][/center]

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1428857957' post='2745328']
[url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/ray34-basses/ray34ca"]http://www.sterlingb...-basses/ray34ca[/url] Probably not going to help anyone's GAS but hey... ;)
[/quote]

D'oh! No, it isn't. I like the vintage cream with the tort plate...

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1428868325' post='2745530']
oooo - I like that! Where did you get that p/guard from, or did you DIY?
[/quote] There was some dude doing them on Evilbay a while back...but i couldn't find them again after a quick look :)