Why become a member? ×

I have an irrational feeling for buying a Musicman Stingray!

lou24d53

I've never owned one, never gigged one and apart from a ten minute try out last month at the Moffat Bass Bash, hardly even had a shot of one...

But I WANT one, like, really, REALLY want one...a single H, in white or buttercream with a maple neck...has to be a maple neck...

Feel the credit card straining already!!!

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1428790062' post='2744626']
I've never owned one, never gigged one, hardly even had a shot of one...
But I WANT one, like, really, REALLY want one... Feel the credit card straining already!!!
[/quote]

Now [i]that [/i]is a textbook case of GAS. :D

Sometimes I am glad of trying things. I really wanted on for a while, then tried a 70s Stingray and hated it with a passion - killed the desire stone dead.

Which concerns me as I would really like a G&L M2500 (or maybe a M2000), but what happens if I feel the same way. Never seen one in a shop.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1428790748' post='2744636']
I really wanted one for a while, then tried a 70s Stingray and hated it with a passion - killed the desire stone dead.
[/quote]

Same, but with Rickenbackers. I still try them though, in case I find a good one.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428790913' post='2744638']
Same, but with Rickenbackers. I still try them though, in case I find a good one.
[/quote]

Well, I have tried a few Rickenbackers I liked, although it seems that a lot that people have seem quite badly set up. I have enjoyed playing them but for me they are not in the league of the price they are. I mean, if they were the 5-800 region, that would be fine and I would probably have one, but they don't really have the 'special' that I would need to pay over £1000.
But maybe it is because the 'made in america' thing doesn't really have that much sway for me.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1428791305' post='2744648']
...the 'made in america' thing doesn't really have that much sway for me.
[/quote]

Me neither... at least not much. My 'American' basses tend to be made here in the UK... or occasionally in Indonesia. ;)

I've had three.

Think the next one will have to have a covered pole piece pickup (Emg or Duncan) as I've established that my right hand playing position on a stingray means I catch the polepieces with my fingertips and get a nasty set of marks on my fingers.

I had a 5 string one, and I tried a friends really old Pre-what-ever 4 string one a few times.

Personally I've never gotten on with them, they've just never sounded right when I've played them.

My friends bass sounds amazing when he plays it, but totally different when I do.

:)

Lotta love for Stingrays here, however if I ever bought another it would have to be a satin or gloss finished SLO neck. Not a fan of the standard unfinished neck profile.

Edited by 40hz