Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Appreciation Club!

Chiliwailer

There's been some nice posts on BC recently about players getting their first P Basses. Even though there's a huge amount of varied high quality basses out there, it's amazing how a 1957 design is still so useable, copied and appreciated.

It doesn't have to be a Fender either, as long as it's split pick up, volume and tone, it's a P Bass isn't it?

So what was your first Precision? Have you had a few? What's your current flavour? What are you GAS'ing for?

Edited by Chiliwailer

To get the ball rolling...

On a personal level, a Precision became my go to bass, the one I feel most comfortable on and which suits my style. I also like Jazz Basses and early MM Sabres, but the P Bass gives off an extra special vibe for me.

My first was a Squier JV, black and maple.

I've had too many in between, pre CBS, 60's, 70's, Deluxe, Custom Shop though strangely never a USA std even though I rate them.

Currently using a Mike Lull. For my needs it's perfect due to the weight, balance and tone.

I don't really have one I'm GAS'ing for as my Lull covers what I need. If the 6 lucky numbers came up then probably an original 1960.

Edited by Chiliwailer

My first and only was a 1984 Squier Japanese P. Arctic white with white scratch plate, rosewood neck and the mostly gloriously aged orange neck. Thick, chunky punchy tone and weighed the square root of bugger all! Loved it and miss it dearly.

My first p bass, in around 1994, was a shaftsbury copy of the 50s p so no split pickup there. Then I had a mustang that mush have had some age to it and weighed more than me. It had to go. In 1996 I got the first p bass that I actually liked, a MIA fender in blue. More recently I play a MIJ 58 reissue. This bass has an upgraded wiring kit with cts pots, fender vintage 58 pickups and a set of la bella flatwound strings. Sounds great. I still have the shaftsbury and the MIA in blue but sadly the MIA has a broken truss rod. Will need to buy a replacement neck for it I guess. Probably a custom warmoth. Currently thinking about buying a Yamaha BB424 in vintage white. Probably next month. Just need to make a decision about 424x or 424. Probably 424. Anyhow, I love p basses. The feel and sound fits with me, my playing style and the music I like. I've owned a fender jazz as well but, although it was a lovely thing, it wasn't right for me.

I currently own 2 Precisions and they both feel like 'coming home and putting on my slippers'. It is nice to go out, go on holiday, but nicest of all to come back home again.

Strangely both of mine are Squiers. One is an early 57 RI JV0xxxx spaghetti logo in tobacco burst. Which is everything it should be. It is almost a shame that it isn't my favourite bass. But it isn't - my absolute best and favourite ever bass (which I always write about so apologies to stick it all on here again), is a mid 80s MIJ 32" scale in a beautifully aged creamy white that has had vintage wiring loom and pots and Fender Original pups put in. This bass has the exact tone that I carry about in my head as the 'perfect Precision bass' tone - from woody, old school thump to Foxton bite. Under 8lbs, 38mm neck, a really old set of strings - everything about it feels, for me, just so right.

Also got 2 'nearly Precisions' - a Precision Lyte and a Jazz Bass Special that has been converted to active. But they aren't quite the same.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428815190' post='2744725']
There's been some nice posts on BC recently about players getting their first P Basses. Even though there's a huge amount of varied high quality basses out there, it's amazing how a 1957 design is still so useable, copied and appreciated.

It doesn't have to be a Fender either, as long as it's split pick up, volume and tone, it's a P Bass isn't it?

So what was your first Precision? Have you had a few? What's your current flavour? What are you GAS'ing for?
[/quote]

Up and posting at the crack of dawn Chlilwalier? ;)

My first was a self-build in the early '80"s with aftermarket parts, intended to be a replica of Sting's maple board fretless P circa '1979. It was OK if a bit rough, and was my only bass for the next 15 years or so! Then a succession of bitsa P's made with mainly '70's Fender parts, but I've ended up with a '65 P in 3TS / tort / rosewood that ticks all the "P" boxes. You've got to have at least one! :)

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1428828086' post='2744810']

Up and posting at the crack of dawn Chlilwalier? ;)

My first was a self-build in the early '80"s with aftermarket parts, intended to be a replica of Sting's maple board fretless P circa '1979. It was OK if a bit rough, and was my only bass for the next 15 years or so! Then a succession of bitsa P's made with mainly '70's Fender parts, but I've ended up with a '65 P in 3TS / tort / rosewood that ticks all the "P" boxes. You've got to have at least one! :)
[/quote]

Haha, yeah I'm nearly a week away from my long overdue and delays surgery so currently greeting hardly any sleep...Basschat to the rescue!!!

You 'ended up' with a 65P? :) :) :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1428827307' post='2744799']
I currently own 2 Precisions and they both feel like 'coming home and putting on my slippers'. It is nice to go out, go on holiday, but nicest of all to come back home again.

[/quote]

Nicely put!

I never tire of hearing about your short scale, would love to try one if them one day, shorties always add certain something I really like. For a few years I played a heavily modded 71 Musicmaster with a full size P pickup, shame I let that one go as it did things a full scale can't,

I have three Precisions at the moment, being:

My 1978, black, black, maple. A great bass, sporting genuine wear & tear. It`s such an aggressive sounding bass, which suits my originals punk band so well. Chunky neck, heavy, it has to be worked to get the best from it.

2010 US, black, black, maple. I use this one for rehearsals seeing as it`s nearly 2lbs lighter than the 78, and I also use it when our band does covers gigs - we do this every now and then to raise funds for recording etc. As it`s not as aggressive as the 78 it fits the covers (punk of course) better. This bass virtually plays itself.

1995 Korean Squier, in black, white, maple (though am sorting a black scratchplate soon). Recently picked this up as a backup, as don`t want to take two expensive basses to a gig. I didn`t realise it was a Korean Squier until I got it home, which was a nice surprise, as having had a couple of the MIK Squiers before, they are very nice, the necks being a major part in their niceness. Not too many Squiers with maple necks around either, so had to wait a while before it came up, hence me already having the Squier Affinity which I`m selling as below. Nice bass that is too, but I just prefer maple necks nowadays.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1428829582' post='2744834']
My 1978, black, black, maple. A great bass, sporting genuine wear & tear. It`s such an aggressive sounding bass.
[/quote]

Conversely, I just moved my 78 on because it was so aggressive sounding! Absolutely smashing P bass, but even with flats it has so much growl to it. Absolutely amazing for punk or Iron Maiden stuff, not so much what I'm after for functions stuff.
My first P was a cheap 80s Japanese copy, can't even rember the obscure make. It weighed a ton, but sounded superb. Next was a Mexican Fender in Arctic white, with a rosewood board. Looked great, sounded meh. It was a lemon, not very well built, nothing special, just a bit of a dud. After that I had Jazz basses, Musicians and others. Then, started playing in functions bands again and it seemed like a good time to go back to a Precision; it was!
Now, I've two 2012s, a sunburst, tort, rosewood model with Femder flats. It's a peach, 8.5 lbs or so and a really nice woody organic tone. It's the bass by which I judge all others now

Just acquired the second, a Candy Cola red, white pickgaurd and maple board. This one has La Bella flats. It is certainly heavier than the other, but it's no 78! Again, its a good one.

Very happy with these two. I'm having a hard time getting those Yamaha BB2024x out of my head, but they don't come up too often and a house purchase and baby on the way mean that I'm probably not going to be buying any more expensive gear for quite a while. But. That's alright, I'm in a very good place with my current set of Precisions.

My first p bass was the Tokai pb40,it was all black with rosewood neck. I must have had about 30 p basses since then ( Greco,fenders,Bacchus,Edwards,Tokai) I currently playing a bitsa ( Fernandes body with Tokai neck)and a Fernandes limited edition which both have flatwounds .i just love the mij stuff. My biggest disappointment was the fender usa 2008. Would love to find a Tokai pb80 or if I win the lottery a vintage fender

Well i have only just joined this club and i am definitely hooked. My 2014 MIM Arctic White n Maple is built to a really good standard and sounds great. I was wary at first going for a Fender as it appears they can be hit or miss but i am more than happy with mine :)

I have 2 Precisions - A US standard 2008 model in Arctic White and a Bitsa Squier P (In my sig pic) With a S D SPB1 Pup and a narrower Jazz neck, which is my go to bass.
My first P was a 1984 JV Squier in Fiesta red which I had resprayed C A R.
I have dabbled with Stingrays and Thunder birds, but always gravitate back to a P bass as I have Comfy Slipper Syndrome too. :D

My first proper Precision was my second bass, which I still own to this day - a Mexican Deluxe Active Precision, 'chrome' red (slightly brighter than CAR) with a rosewood Jazz neck. Had this one for just over 10 years now, but aside from having different pickguards made for it (the original gold nylon thing was disgusting!) it's all stock.

My proudest P-bass acquisition is my Mark Hoppus signature bass in surf green. It's the bass that I really wanted, but couldn't afford, when I got my Deluxe Active. It sounds HUGE, and plays like a dream. It doesn't really do subtle though, so I have to keep a few other options around.

I also have a Yamaha P-shaped thing which I picked up cheap because it was bright green with a maple neck, and have previously owned a MIM Standard P, and a Squier Vintage Modified P which were also both great basses.

[attachment=189144:002.jpg]I've had an on & off love affair with the Precision bass & it's clones since I started playing bass back in 1987. My Wife bought me a 1989 MIK Squier Precision "twice" which I still have, though now resides in it's guitar case.

Then this January I bought a new & my first American made Fender Precision bass, and I wish I'd bought one years ago this bass just feels and sounds right to me. Even put a set of flatwounds on it my first set in 27 years.[attachment=189145:2.jpg]

Edited by luckman67

I played Jazz basses for several years when I first started, go my first proper P bass about 1982/3, USA made, white, maple neck...I thought it was great and that I was just as cool as cool could be with my real Fender. Sold it to raise money towards our first house about 1985/6

Nothing much has changed, I still play both types of bass, current Precisions are a white/rosewood/tort 2013 US Standard and a Squier VM (also white) now wearing a fretless Jazz neck.

My first P style bass was purchased when I got back in to playing around 89/90

This Yamaha BB1200. It was my main gigging instrument for a good few years. sold on BC
[url="https://flic.kr/p/s5JDQW"][/url]

My next one was this Fender Deluxe, purchased new from the Bass Centre in Wapping. Still have this one.
[url="https://flic.kr/p/s5JG4U"][/url]

I have had quite a few others, some still with me, some moved on.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/r8SrNL"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/rNhdmU"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/s5Pt3H"][/url]

86 G&L SB1
[url="https://flic.kr/p/qN1Ngx"][/url]

Squier
[url="https://flic.kr/p/oJhYda"][/url]

Dingwall Super P
[url="https://flic.kr/p/nz8PAD"][/url]

Home build.
[url="https://flic.kr/p/fk9MrP"][/url]

87 G&L SB1
[url="https://flic.kr/p/ahrY8o"][/url]

Safe to say I like a P bass :)

I currently have 4 Precisions. one fretless, one rosewood and one maple and also a 51 RI. Never bored swapping them around.
The first P type bass I had was an Ibanez Blazer, in fact my old school and band mate still has it (lent it to him for recording in about 1990)
Told him to hang onto it till I needed it back.

My first P was a cheap plywood catalogue bass (Kay maybe?) which almost put me off P basses for life. It was my only bass at the time so I loved it as I did not know any better but it had dead spots all over the neck, terrible hum/buzz problems & sounded horribly thin (maybe that had a lot to do with the 10W Badger practice amp I was rocking in those halcyon days!). I played the hell out of that bass but eventually stepped up to a 'light years ahead quality/playability wise' Ibanez Musician & barely touched the pseudo P thereafter; despite sticking an EMG pickup in it (still sounded crap) & 'customising' it with a sticker in a familiar font which had the german word for sugar on it - almost passed for 'fender' but on closer inspection actually looked more like a four letter word!

I rediscovered the Precision when I was shopping around for a 70's jazz bass. Found a well used maple neck '75 precision which had been refinished in 10 colour sparkle. It instantly felt right & delivered the classic P bass tone that my F***er was sadly lacking. Still have it today, with a set of D'Addario black tape wounds that have been on there for 4 years or more. Sounds great - here's me playing a bit of Aretha on it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cEj4TkUzjZc

I bought a Custom Shop '64 jazz which I loved & was contemplating buying a custom shop P as I'd rekindled my love for Chuck Rainey's playing - had a massive P bass shoot out in Guitar Guitar with MIMs, MIJs, American Standards, Custom shop & a few other rarities including P's from other makers; tried them all back to back & opted for a 2012 P bass which is my main P bass today & the bass I play the most. Here's a recent vid of me doing another Chuck Rainey classic - strung with Thomastik Infeld JF344s.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6cNK3hfEw-M

Edited by Soul-Fi Steve

I sold my first Fender P bass back in 1980, and wish I hadn't because looking back I think it was an early sixties one!

I've got three now, a Fender '76 sunburst which I've owned since 1980, and is my gigging bass of choice. I've also got an early '80s fretless Fender P in black which has a brute of a pick-up - it's a fantastic bass which I'm learning to love.

My third is a Squier CV 50s bass which I bought off Gary mac as a gig back-up. I absolutely adore this guitar and leave it out to practice on. The build quality is amazing and with a Seymour Duncan pick-up it sounds great. I've got a USA 61RI Jazz bass as well, which isn't getting played much at the moment.

I really do love Precision basses - I like the feel, the tone, and the simplicity of the controls. I've never been one to mess around with the knobs; I set the tone and volume at the beginning of the gig and leave it at that

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1428844951' post='2745132']
Lovely. If you had to choose one?!
[/quote]

For gigging, the white G&L, hands down.

For a contented and pleasurable sigh every time I open the case, it has to be the 66. It just looks, smells and sounds so right :gas:

I've got just one - a 2014 Oly White/Maple USA Standard, bought it new about 6 months ago.

Like some others, I've had a love/hate relationship with the P-bass. I've had a few before....

First ever bass was a Sunn Mustang P-copy. A good few years later, I also had - along the way - a couple of other US Standards and a Road Worn...and a Classic Vibe at some point. Not masses, but I have been P'd before!

My problem is always the same - I love the looks and the tone, but I always miss a Ricky. However, my last one annoyed me so much, my solution was to go 'back to basics' and grab a new P. Don't get me wrong - this particular P is the best I have ever played, and for the first time ever, I would really, really struggle to part with it. Plays so easily, sounds the business - even my band love it! The idea was to become a mono-bassist, and just play it to bits. I've done 6 months now....feels a bit like coming out of rehab or something! :ph34r:

It's just when I play a P - it's just me I'm sure - I always think that I'm being a bit obvious....but my rational side says obvious for a good reason, as it's bass that does it all, and you can set-up and repair at home....and it's stopped my losing money buying and selling other basses.

I just have to extinguish other bass GAS, as the P is by far the best 'all-rounder' I've had - fits in anywhere, and has got all that presence. I know I'd hate to part with this one.

Just have to ride out the GAS wave.... B)