Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Appreciation Club!

Chiliwailer

Ahh the P bass - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Like many I've owned a few usually Fender or Lakland. Mike Dirnt, MIM, USA '08, a '79 (which was bought by a guitar store back home who were commissioned to mock it up and use it for the Phil Lynott statue in Dublin - a true honour!)

I now have a '89 Jap P which is a delight to play. I think coming back to if from a 5 string jazz made the neck feel 'small' but totally right at the same time - just feels super fast and effortless to play. I have put a Bart pick up in it and it sounds great in the mix - no fuss, no hassle just plug in turn up the volume and play.

My first Precision was bough new in Andertons in 1978 (S749320) and I've been an addict ever since. I've had all the usual alternatives (66 Jazz, 78 Stingray, Ric 4000) but they've only ever been decoration really.

Over the years I've done the pre-CBS thing and had some nice ones - 1953 (£995), 66 slab (£895), 61 (£950), 62 (£895). About 1987 I found my #1 bass (a 66 refin - £260) and we've been pretty much inseparable ever since. I have semi-retired the old girl - I have worn some gouges out just above the pickup - and am very much a champion of the Japanese Fenders now.

Of all the basses I've owned, the period 66-73 is my favourite period and they represent the best value in my mind. Still nice and light, great quality but Japan makes amazing instruments and they've all been bought without trial and not one lemon among them.

I had always played a Rickenbacker and had recently been converted to Warwick when I saw an ad for a Precision and felt that I should perhaps give one a try. It was a 60th anniversary Mexican, which I acquired for a stupid low price because the vendor - a music shop - had made it collection only on ebay. After a setup, it played OK but didn't look or sound special - so it became my "let's try a build" bass.

I changed the pickup for a US standard, replaced the bridge with a black Badass and put on Hipshot tuners with a drop D extender. One custom pickguard (bright green shell) and all black bits later, and it now sounds like a dream and looks "individual" ;) !

I've never thought i'd come back to the Precision. One of my first bases was a Squire P and to be honest back then i didn't know the difference between that and many other basses until i started playing Jazz basses, Jazzes did and still do it for me.
I've had a few P's over the last decade, Laklands, Fender MIJ's and a JV and both were nice but the chunky necks weren't my thing and i still missed that versatility of the jazz so always ended up coming back to the Jazz. Roll on to the present and enter the Limelight, a 70's P replica with a B style neck (jazz width ish) which suits me better, and actually I gig it the most right now. By far the most boring bass to noodle on in the lving room in my current entourage but for some magical reason the best bass to cut it in the mix in my functions band (soul, funk, 50/60's etc). I still have my, very heavy, 74 Jazz but that is for the reggae band only...nothing quite does that authentic sound that i have learned from the greats, and Redstriper of this parish, of the neck pick up on a jazz...but equally that may be the huge weight of the bass that add's to the resonance. But back to the P though, i get it - i love it,...everyone should have one at least once...and then again if they've not got one now :)

I've only experience of two P basses... My first ever bass which was a squier abomination. Frankly the less said about it the better.

...and more recently I breifly had a delightful 85 Jap P in sunburst with a maple neck. Only sold it as I found myself using fretless for the projects I intended it for, sounded lovely with flats and the tone rolled off.

Edited by CamdenRob

In the late 90s I was a drummer and had a bass guitar in the house that my old bassist and house mate left here. I played a bit and really enjoyed it. Decided I wanted my own bass and decided it had to be a USA made orange Jazz bass. Played a bunch and didn't really like them for one reason or another. Was in Nashville and in World Music, the guy said here try this bass out.

Sunset orange P with rosewood fretboard. I loved it and handed over a pile of 100s

That was my only bass until 2010 when I wanted to buy myself a wedding present and got an Aria SB1000 (because so many of the people I love used one).

Then last year my mum and dad bought me an early 60s P for my 40th. It is very nice indeed.

My main bass is my Squier Matt Freeman, which is truly excellent. Very well made and has a great tone too. Every bit as good as the U.S. P Bass I had a few years back.

My other P is a bitsa with a MIM body, Warmoth neck, Schaller tuners and a Wizard Thumper. It's in standard tuning so doesn't get much use these days and may well be up for sale soon but has a really nice low action and sounds great too!

From 16 I was lucky enough to have a '62 re-fin and it was the only bass I'd ever owned into my 40's. I decided to move the bass along as it reminded me of my Dad who I'd lost a few years earlier. It's one decision I don't regret, my time was passed with the bass and it was time to move on. Since then I've had a Mike Dirnt sig that sounded great, but weighed a ton, then I built a bitsa which I sold on to Alex Clabber. I also had a Warmoth/Rutter La Cab build which seems to be winding its way around the forum.

After playing Clarky's Squier JV, I picked one up here and I think that's it for me and P's. It's just like the '62, but without the emotional attachment. I had my chap Julian Mullen remove the pup and pots and put in a SDQP and CTS and Switchcraft, but all the original gubbins can go back in with no scarring (all shielded too). Plus changed the tuners to Resolite's, which are my fave. So, it's lightweight, sounds great and feels great.

Well done me!

I think I'd always fancy a '50's style CS, but reckon Spector is where I'd be spending the big bucks now. However, I think my JV is one bass to rule them all :)

Edited by Billy Apple

When I were a lad, my first bass was a Vester a Stage Series in bright bright red with a white pick gaurd and potentially a maple neck. I say "potentially" as it didn't seem very hard or very nice. Body turned out to be made of plywood when I took it to bits years later. It always sounded dull and I didn't really appreciate it. It was bloody light in weight mind you.

My new American Special P in 3tsb with a Rosewood fretboard is magnificent in comparison. I really appreciate it.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428815190' post='2744725']So what was your first Precision?[/quote]

My very first bass was a Fender Mustang, sporting a splitcoil pickup, but shorter scale length.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428815190' post='2744725']Have you had a few?[/quote]

- Hondo with a splitcoil neck pickup and a double J bridge pickup (no pic available)

- Fenix P/J (no pic available)

- Fender US Std Precision (2000)

- Fender American Vintage '62 Reissue Sunburst (~ 2008)
- Fender Precision 1975 Black/Maple

- Limelight '63 Precision Shoreline Gold (Yes, I [i]had[/i] this one, and I hate to say it had to move on in favour of .... well, see below under "What are you GASing for"...)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428815190' post='2744725']What's your current flavour?[/quote]

1965 Precision:

[url="https://flic.kr/p/myxXeY"][/url]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428815190' post='2744725']What are you GAS'ing for?[/quote]

I always wanted a pre-CBS custom colour Precision. This one will soon be mine:

This is mine
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F1B48FF289BAE6D2!557&authkey=!AI7gaYTXDBcOhac&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Built by the bass doc to resemble a 70s p. I love it although the neck is a bit of a handful , pup is from a mex classic 50s
Has that ponderous clanky dort of tone

I would love a year of birth 1964 precision, but I could not justify spending all that money to gig it down the Dog and duck, or hang it on a wall to look at.
That is why i use my trusty faithful which I can afford to gig in sh*t-holes. :)

I use to hate precision bass because is my first bass was a precision. Now P bass is my go to bass. I've made 2 changes to my Fender P bass. First added a J pickup so the bass becomes P/J bass but I use the P pickup most. Second I've swap the P neck with a glossy maple jazz neck.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1429009042' post='2746894']
I use to hate precision bass because is my first bass was a precision.
[/quote]

Me too... mine was so bad I didn't even try another one for 17 years, during that time I felt a little bit sick every time I saw one.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429017883' post='2747057']
Me too... mine was so bad I didn't even try another one for 17 years, during that time I felt a little bit sick every time I saw one.
[/quote]

As time goes by and gone through many different basses. I came to a conclusion that P bass is the best thing lol. Plug and go and turn the volume up and everything works well in the mix lol.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1429018663' post='2747069']
As time goes by and gone through many different basses. I came to a conclusion that P bass is the best thing lol. Plug and go and turn the volume up and everything works well in the mix lol.
[/quote]

True indeed... I very much enjoyed playing the second one I bought after all that time in the P bassless wilderness.

I'm gassing for a "plain P". I admit.
I'm 42 and until 2 years ago, I always assumed I was A Jazz Guy. But couldn't be satisfied with any Jazz or double Signle coils I found (except for a Warwick Dolphin).
And then I had this babe in my hands :

And then all hell broke loose : I discovered I was a P guy, and I had to fill this void.
So here came the rest :

But that was not enough. Nowhere near...
So I bought a beat-up Stagg bass and started experimenting. It finally was loaded with an EMG P and BTC control. Neck is straight, and truss is OK, a great chunk of bass for so little money...

And tomorow, I'll go see, try (and probably buy) a MIke Dirnt Squier P.

But believe me, there's nothing like a double P bass.
The Clayton Signature will be modded to add a second P, and controls will be : stacked vol/bal, neck P'up Treble bass stacked, Bridge P'up Treble bass stacked.

I started out on a Squier Jazz, but then Andertons had a P Bass Lyte Deluxe at £400. Played it, fell in love. I know its not a proper P - its a Jazzified P, but it still bears the Precision mark, and a split neck pickup.

I now have a (very) cheap Westfield P copy that I am planning on modifying very heavily. Side entry jack, 3 band active EQ, de-fret the neck, basically everything you've thought about experimenting with but you wouldn't want to do with your main bass. I don't particularly care about a bass that cost me less than £20, and have always fancied doing something fun and individual. As much as you can with a plain black P copy. Build thread going up sometime.

I've just discovered I'm a P guy playing a gig. Got a 5 string VM P-Bass and that's not enough, getting a Mexican fender when I can though and going to add a Steve Harris pickup to it. SO I can have my own Arry model without the name.

What sort of strings do you guys like on your P basses?

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429476284' post='2751813']
I've just discovered I'm a P guy playing a gig. Got a 5 string VM P-Bass and that's not enough, getting a Mexican fender when I can though and going to add a Steve Harris pickup to it. SO I can have my own Arry model without the name.

What sort of strings do you guys like on your P basses?
[/quote]

You can get Rotosound Steve Harris signature flatwounds too.....

btw i like your CAR 5 string

P.S. i'll be changing mine to flatwounds soon

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429476539' post='2751815']
You can get Rotosound Steve Harris signature flatwounds too.....

btw i like your CAR 5 string

P.S. i'll be changing mine to flatwounds soon
[/quote]

Yeah, heard about those, but the word is they go dead really quickly!

Also: The CAR fiver is a cracking little bass. Gonna be my work horse for sure when we get playing suspect places!

Edited by Fisheth